PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from new Denver-area S6 owner.

ZaphodBx
09-07-2014, 08:14 PM
Just thought I'd say 'howdy'... Picked up a CPO 2014 S6 down in Phoenix a couple of weeks ago - flew down and drove it back. Pretty fun drive - quite an upgrade from my Enclave. ;)

I'm hoping to maybe make it out to the High Plains track day or Cars and Coffee next weekend, but we're having company, so not sure if that'll work out.

I'm also debating adding a full-front clear bra (have 3 chips already!), and what to do about the upcoming winter, if anyone has any suggestions. I've heard good things about the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tire as an all-season option, which seems like it might make sense for the relatively rare times we have much snow on the roads here.

Thanks!

Tkemp
09-08-2014, 11:12 AM
I would start by coming to Oktdubberfest this weekend in Brekenridge...

monoseanism
09-08-2014, 02:05 PM
Just thought I'd say 'howdy'... Picked up a CPO 2014 S6 down in Phoenix a couple of weeks ago - flew down and drove it back. Pretty fun drive - quite an upgrade from my Enclave. ;)

I'm hoping to maybe make it out to the High Plains track day or Cars and Coffee next weekend, but we're having company, so not sure if that'll work out.

I'm also debating adding a full-front clear bra (have 3 chips already!), and what to do about the upcoming winter, if anyone has any suggestions. I've heard good things about the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tire as an all-season option, which seems like it might make sense for the relatively rare times we have much snow on the roads here.

Thanks!

I installed a clearbra on my S7 3 months after I bought it, guess I waited too long as it now has loads of chips and scratches. Get one installed before winter. As for tires, i have Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's for my winter setup, the grip on these are incredible.

100Daily
09-08-2014, 02:15 PM
and what to do about the upcoming winter, if anyone has any suggestions. I've heard good things about the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tire as an all-season option, which seems like it might make sense for the relatively rare times we have much snow on the roads here.

Willkommen fellow Parker-ite. I had the DWS's and returned them per Discount Tires 30 Day Trial, I absolutely hated them. My car squealed like a pig around every corner. I would get dedicated winter and summer tires. "No-Season" tires are inadequate all year round.

TimNGobbles
09-08-2014, 03:15 PM
I need to have you talk to my wife about why the S6 is a good replacement for our Enclave.

But if I had a new S6 not sure I would let me little terrors in it.

Welcome to the forum and I second getting some performance snow tires instead of all seasons.

pwest15
09-08-2014, 06:57 PM
Welcome to the Audi cult!

Yep I'm gonna be the third here to say get a separate set of wheels with Blizzaks just for winter. Then you can have fun with high-performance tires in the summer!

mec
09-08-2014, 07:41 PM
fourth!

Blizzaks+summers.

I've been running DWS the past three years, terrible tire, get a high performance or ultra high performance summer and then a nice winter tire.

ZaphodBx
09-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the info on the tires, everyone... Definitely sounds like another set of wheels + winter tires is in order. I've looked around a bit, and I must say it's kind of confusing so far... For instance, the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's don't seem to ever come up as a "match" for my S6 when I search on Tire Rack or even on Michelin's site. Do you get some sort of alternate size that fits? Or do you just go to Discount Tire or an Audi dealer or something and have them figure it out?

It sounds like there's a good clear bra place in Parker anyway, so I'll have to go get that done soon. I'm tempted to try something like Dr Color Chip to touch up the few I have already before they're sealed up under the film.

If it helps at all with the wife, mine never wanted to borrow the Buick, but she takes out the S6 whenever she gets a chance. ;) I think it helped me a bit with the little ones that it was a CPO... Wasn't perfect even when I got it, so I'm not sweating them messing it up a little quite as much.

I thought it was kind of cool when I was at an event at the PACE center with one of my daughters today... In the parking lot was my S6, an S5, and an S7 - Audi was well represented!

Oh, and I'd love to go to the Oktdubberffest thing, but with company in town, I don't think there's any way I'll be making that this year, unfortunately.

pwest15
09-08-2014, 08:28 PM
I'd probably just go to Discount tire. I've always used them and their customer service is top notch. You'll save just as much mula with them as you would with Tire Rack.

lnferno
09-08-2014, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the info on the tires, everyone... Definitely sounds like another set of wheels + winter tires is in order. I've looked around a bit, and I must say it's kind of confusing so far... For instance, the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's don't seem to ever come up as a "match" for my S6 when I search on Tire Rack or even on Michelin's site. Do you get some sort of alternate size that fits? Or do you just go to Discount Tire or an Audi dealer or something and have them figure it out?

Do a search for Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s. I just received mine for my C7 S6 from ordering them on tirerack.com.

ZaphodBx
09-08-2014, 10:17 PM
Thanks, I did see those PA4s. Wasn't sure about the 19" size, after reading some people saying some 19" wheels won't fit over the front brakes. Did you get wheels, too? I was thinking the BBS CH-R titanium wheels looked nice, but again wasn't sure if they were guaranteed to fit just because they showed up. Maybe I'm too paranoid. ;)

lnferno
09-09-2014, 06:09 AM
Thanks, I did see those PA4s. Wasn't sure about the 19" size, after reading some people saying some 19" wheels won't fit over the front brakes. Did you get wheels, too? I was thinking the BBS CH-R titanium wheels looked nice, but again wasn't sure if they were guaranteed to fit just because they showed up. Maybe I'm too paranoid. ;)

They fit. 19" is the factory wheel size for the S6. The 20" wheels are considered an upgrade/optional.

jimrobbington
09-09-2014, 06:21 AM
Another Parker guy here. Welcome! And can't believe I'm the first to say it, but pics or it didn't happen.

I have heard plenty of people hate DWS. I also run summer/winter. There is no comparison to a good snow tire, especially with quattro.

Zaxon55
09-09-2014, 08:38 AM
Welcome from yet another (almost) Parker Audi guy. The S6 is a beautiful car and I hope you enjoy it. Post up some pics when you have a moment and welcome to the crazy addicting world of Audi mods... :)

monoseanism
09-09-2014, 09:13 AM
Most wheels won't fit our cars due to the huge front breaks, as you know. I ordered mine from http://shop.achtuning.com/Hartmann-HTT-256-MA-M-18-19-20-Inch-Replica-Wheels-Audi.aspx and think they look pretty great. Their website has a good chart as to what wheels will fit your S6.

evil_O
09-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Congrats and welcome. I am just West of you in Castle Pines.

Here (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/571640-Winter-s-coming-Nokian-Hakkapeliitta-R2-review) is a good link about some other winter tire options (Hint = Hakkas). A lot of guys swear by the R2s. I was thinking about them but am now leaning towards to WR G3s (performance rated with severe weather emblem). WR G3s were recommended from a friend in the tire business and a recent post in the thread provided convinced me. The R2s aren't performance rated but I read a review which they were mounted on a RS4. Seemed to do well.

To bad you can't make it to Breck. Maybe we will see you at another meet soon.

treginginco
09-09-2014, 02:01 PM
Greetings fellow Parker / Audi owner. It's good to see the "four rings of fury" taking over P-town!!!!

After my experience last week and how much my clear bra saved my ass from major damage (the my post: "Damn Near Died....).... I am an even bigger supporter of clear bras.

As for tires... I just put on a set of Yokohoma Advan Sport A/S's on my allroad. They have been awesome on dry pavement and very wet driving conditions. I haven't experienced snow in them yet, but if they work in the white like they do now ------ I'm gonna be reeeeeeeeal happy.

Thanks!

ZaphodBx
09-09-2014, 07:49 PM
Thanks for all the help - certainly gives me a lot of good options to look into! Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you helpful folks in person some day.

I'll see if I can figure out how to attach a photo to this post... It'll probably a miracle if I get it right the first try...

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/09/fdfb82d648b9429a5e666260f8ba44e7.jpg

pwest15
09-09-2014, 07:55 PM
Very nice! [up]

treginginco
09-09-2014, 08:43 PM
What pwest15 said.[cool] l

TimNGobbles
09-09-2014, 10:53 PM
Nice!! Color looks great in the sun.

Zaxon55
09-10-2014, 12:03 PM
Beautiful!

dangerous_dave7
09-10-2014, 12:18 PM
Looks great!

Welcome, and to repeat what everyone else has said, blizzaks for winter, and summers for summer. I have ws70's but I am frequently going to the mountains... If you're not planning to leave Denver much, you probably wouldn't need them, although it doesn't really hurt.

A4B8ueg
09-10-2014, 01:26 PM
I'll see if I can figure out how to attach a photo to this post... It'll probably a miracle if I get it right the first try...

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/09/fdfb82d648b9429a5e666260f8ba44e7.jpg

I want!

Sent using Tapatalk
Instagram: @arubablueb8

ZaphodBx
09-11-2014, 07:15 AM
Thanks everyone - I certainly like it! I don't need too many pics of it because I always turn around to check it out when I'm walking away from it anyway. ;)

TimNGobbles
09-11-2014, 10:29 AM
Thanks everyone - I certainly like it! I don't need too many pics of it because I always turn around to check it out when I'm walking away from it anyway. ;)

Sounds like she controls you, you need to let the old girl know that she is special but not irreplaceable. Try not to give her too many looks, make her work hard to keep your attention. If you keep looking back at her she is going to feel she owns you. Next thing you know she is asking for some new rims or maybe just a little visit to the detailer with her friends or she decides to spend some overnight time with a tuner/performance "friend". You know its bad when you ask her for a little thrill on the on ramp and all you get is turbo lag and a not tonight dear I have a CEL.