PDA

View Full Version : 2003 A4 3.0L V6 - Long crank after sitting overnight

DiamondFanatic
09-03-2014, 12:23 PM
Hi guys,
I am hoping that someone on here can point me in the right direction for a recent issue with my B6. If it sits overnight (13+ hours) or especially over the weekend it takes 3-5x longer then usual cranking before it will start. If it only sits for 8-9 hours or less it will start quickly like it always has. Temperatures here have been low 60's overnight and up to 90 during the day when this issue has presented. I have tried leaving the key on but pausing before cranking for a few seconds prior to trying to starting it to see if that fixed it but unfortunately it didn't.

Thanks!

imnuts
09-03-2014, 03:19 PM
It sounds like it may be the check valve in the fuel pump going bad. Have you tried cycling the key to ON several times before trying to start the car? Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to the ON position?

Sent from my Moto X

DiamondFanatic
09-04-2014, 05:49 AM
I think I hear it prime, I tried cycling the key 4x today before cranking and I don't think it made much of a difference. Can the check valve only be replaced by replacing the whole fuel pump assembly?