PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel Interchange (S-Line wheel swap?)

B5BAR
09-02-2014, 06:02 AM
Greetings,

I was curious if anyone on here has dabbled with swapping steering wheels with their A6 sedan or avant? I have a 2010 Avant with paddle shift, and heated steering wheel, and would like to get something with a slightly smaller diameter, and hopefully black (My car has a beige interior) and perhaps thicker spokes. I understand it is hard to find an other heated wheel that has the functions I need.

I was wondering if anyone has tried to swap their wheel with a different car? I am hoping that wheels with the A6 can interchange with the A4, as there are quite a few options out in the wild to achieve what I am after.

Thanks for any tips!

SinCityA6
09-03-2014, 06:35 AM
The steering wheels are interchangeable between models. What will be the difference is airbag style/shape and multifunction buttons and features on the wheel itself. I have swapped my steering wheel out on my A6 for a euro A6 wheel w/ paddles. Swap took all of 15 minutes.

B5BAR
09-05-2014, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the input. I have done some more digging on this, and read up on the UK site regarding the buttons and the potential issue of pinouts changing between wheels, and how to test / change them.

I am hoping to install a sport wheel into my A6 Avant if possible, but don't want to spend a grand on a wheel that will not work with my car. One thing I guess I can check, is to see if the Wheel in my 06 A4 will work in my A6. I would love that smaller 3 spoke wheel, in my A6 if possible!

SindreVjohnsen
03-08-2015, 01:12 PM
Did you get a new wheel ? Im also interessted in doing a new install. Looked at the TT flat bottom wheel.

sun_dance
03-08-2015, 05:25 PM
Did you get a new wheel ? Im also interessted in doing a new install. Looked at the TT flat bottom wheel.

There's no issues with this. I personally swapped out my old steering wheel w/ a paddle shifter one from an A4 and it fit perfectly and I used my existing air bag with no issues. I also, have read of folks swapping out TT flat bottom steering wheels in their A6s.

skylinrcr01
03-08-2015, 09:12 PM
We need to use the weird lopsided airbag ones though, the round ones won't work, and I'd imagine that the MMI versions need to line up as well, or you'll lose the wheel controls.

FormulaElement
03-09-2015, 02:34 AM
We need to use the weird lopsided airbag ones though, the round ones won't work, and I'd imagine that the MMI versions need to line up as well, or you'll lose the wheel controls.

You use the airbag that fits the steering wheel. So every steering wheel will use that generation's air bag (such as B7 A4 and C6 A6). I haven't heard of anyone having problems with using newer steering wheels as long as it doesn't have extra buttons. So you could use a 2014 A4 steering wheel but probably not a A6 one. I do believe it needs a little different wiring though.

skylinrcr01
03-09-2015, 08:54 AM
So I bought this one, will it fit? I hope so, although it was only $65... http://www.ebay.com/itm/231494992590?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Klum00
03-09-2015, 09:15 AM
Greetings,

I was curious if anyone on here has dabbled with swapping steering wheels with their A6 sedan or avant? I have a 2010 Avant with paddle shift, and heated steering wheel, and would like to get something with a slightly smaller diameter, and hopefully black (My car has a beige interior) and perhaps thicker spokes. I understand it is hard to find an other heated wheel that has the functions I need.

I was wondering if anyone has tried to swap their wheel with a different car? I am hoping that wheels with the A6 can interchange with the A4, as there are quite a few options out in the wild to achieve what I am after.

Thanks for any tips!

I PMed you. I have an S4 wheel and airbag, I'd love to trade for your wheel...

sun_dance
03-09-2015, 09:17 AM
So I bought this one, will it fit? I hope so, although it was only $65... http://www.ebay.com/itm/231494992590?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

As long as your current steering wheel is 3 spoke, your airbag will fit just fine on it and you can get use of the paddle shifters very easily.

As for programming it, here you go:

VAG-COM Programming

1) Connect VAG cable to car and open controller 16 - Steering Wheel.

2) Select Recode - 07

3) Write down original softcoding. For my car, it was 02042

4) To enable the paddle shift buttons, change the 3 digit from right from a "0" to a "1"
(i.e. 02042 --> 02142) and click on "Do It". The latest version of the VAG-COM includes a
label file that deciphers the coding on this controller.

http://i3.tinypic.com/x3iyys.gif
5) Close controller. And go test the car.

skylinrcr01
03-09-2015, 10:27 AM
As long as your current steering wheel is 3 spoke, your airbag will fit just fine on it and you can get use of the paddle shifters very easily.

As for programming it, here you go:

VAG-COM Programming

1) Connect VAG cable to car and open controller 16 - Steering Wheel.

2) Select Recode - 07

3) Write down original softcoding. For my car, it was 02042

4) To enable the paddle shift buttons, change the 3 digit from right from a "0" to a "1"
(i.e. 02042 --> 02142) and click on "Do It". The latest version of the VAG-COM includes a
label file that deciphers the coding on this controller.

http://i3.tinypic.com/x3iyys.gif
5) Close controller. And go test the car.

Crap, it's a 4 spoke. The bag shape looked similar, hope it fits, I'll report back with the results.

sun_dance
03-09-2015, 10:30 AM
Crap, it's a 4 spoke. The bag shape looked similar, hope it fits, I'll report back with the results.

It definitely won't fit. The airbag is designed completely differently and you won't be able to secure the airbag designed for your current 4-spoke wheel to the 3 spoke wheel you just bought.

skylinrcr01
03-09-2015, 10:32 AM
It definitely won't fit. The airbag is designed completely differently and you won't be able to secure the airbag designed for your current 4-spoke wheel to the 3 spoke wheel you just bought.

Great. Well I guess I have a steering wheel for sale haha.

sun_dance
03-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Great. Well I guess I have a steering wheel for sale haha.

That ain't so bad...i'm sure someone here will take it off your hands ;)

BTW, it took me awhile to find one for my car, since I have a platinum interior and wanted to remain as such. But was finally able to fine a paddle shifting 4 spoke platinum interior wheel for a great deal.

SindreVjohnsen
03-09-2015, 01:40 PM
Wow many replies here :D
Ty for ur responses !
Then I will buy me a tt wheel :)
Stupid question here -> I dont have paddle shifters now. Can i buy a wheel with paddle and make them work ? Got the 7-multitroninc aut gearbox. Thanks !

sun_dance
03-09-2015, 07:38 PM
Wow many replies here :D
Ty for ur responses !
Then I will buy me a tt wheel :)
Stupid question here -> I dont have paddle shifters now. Can i buy a wheel with paddle and make them work ? Got the 7-multitroninc aut gearbox. Thanks !

SindreVjohnsen, it'll be the same instructions I posted in the thread earlier...enjoy

SindreVjohnsen
03-10-2015, 09:24 AM
So it can actually work with some VAG-COM work [:D]
And thats something they can do in my local audi store I guess ;)
Ty sun !