PDA

View Full Version : Doing a heater core swap

Poopie
09-01-2014, 08:35 PM
Long story short I was running mostly water in coolant system and not enough anti freeze. The "polar vortex " showed up and expanded the water in my heater core and busted it even with the car in the garage. Ran it without heat for a while, but I have finally acquirde all the bits to convert my avant to a completely black interior. Even doing black headliner, pillars, sunroof controls. So I am tackling thr heater core job now. I put it off for a long time cause I knew it was terrible.

Anyway, onto the heater core job. I'll let this one pic sum up the job. Just pick any vein on your arm and go to town.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/popularmechanics/images/2S/razor-blades-470b-0908.jpg

down_n_dapper
09-01-2014, 11:38 PM
Hahahahaha dude its really not as bad as they say it is :p when I did mine it was a little over 10 hours all up. Just label the shit out of all the bolts and bag them up so you don't loose any. There are fantastic diys around and if you have a look at my thread there are a few pictures of when I did it. Shoot me a pm if you're stuck

Poopie
09-02-2014, 06:55 AM
I essentially had to do this job twice. Once to pull the black dash from a car i parted, and again to do this heater core job. Its not bad, but its a slippery slope when the thought of "oh my god, this could have been so much easier with an access panel in the firewall." and then you are just angry the whole time. haha

redline380
09-02-2014, 07:42 AM
if that happened to me, I'd just permanently loop the heater core hoses to delete it and buy another car for the winter.

You are lucky nothing else, namely the block, went crack. have you checked it over at all?

Poopie
09-02-2014, 08:13 AM
Engine has been refreshed since due to other reasons.