PDA

View Full Version : How many track days do you get out of a set of stock RS5 rotors?

RS5 Ruminator
08-25-2014, 05:54 PM
I know that some of you have used the stock RS5 rotors at the track (road course, not drag strip or autocross). I am just curious how many track days you got out of them and how many sets of pads would you estimate you went through with one set of rotors?

I realize completely that it depends on the track and the tires and the speed etc. but I am trying to get an estimate, especially those that replaced the rotors because of reaching minimal thickness, not just on the advice that they should change rotors when they changed pads, or that they switched to Carbotechs so new rotors were purchased... I'm trying to get some real feedback on whether it's worth it to go aftermarket or stick to stock in terms of rotor longevity.

If any of you have upgraded to a different setup besides the Brembo bigger rotor setup (still not into $2500 for the front rotors when this is only an occasionally tracked car, even though I'm sure the bigger rotor increases your stopping power) i.e. if you are still using the stock calipers with aftermarket rotors, I wonder if anyone has noticed any increase in rotor life over stock.

Price, cooling, weight, etc are all factors too but I am curious re rotor life as I get closer to pulling the trigger...

RS5 Ruminator
08-27-2014, 10:13 PM
100 views and nobody has any info on this?

ExhaustNote
08-27-2014, 11:12 PM
I've tracked my RS5 once so don't really have the info you're looking for. I did track my previous V8 S5 a LOT and after about 2 1/2 track days, I had to replace the rotors. Keep in mind that I did use them on the street for about 10000 miles before the track days...So 2 1/2 track days on 10000 mile old rotors before I had to swap them. I switched to aftermarket brakes after that.

RS5 Ruminator
08-28-2014, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the input.

Dfw007
08-28-2014, 08:19 PM
I just replaced the stock rotors at 6000 miles and three track days. I went through two sets of front pads, first was oem, second was porterfield. I have since gone with the ECS front rotors and carbotech xps 10 pads, I also use motul 600. I am doing my first track day with the new setup in 3 weeks, I will post my thoughts after that.