PDA

View Full Version : Misfire, 1,2 and 3 cylinders not working, HUGE smoke from exhaust.

mistic571
08-24-2014, 06:05 PM
Hi all,

I have strange problem with my 3.2 A6. Its at 83k miles and i already had coils and plugs replaced. It happened yesterday in the middle of the driving that esp light and CEL came on(blinking) I both new coils and spark plugs thinking this will solve the problem, but i was wrong. So i end up today taking everything a part. I cleaned my self from carbon buildup, put everything back together, start the engine, but still the same, although its not shaking soooo much like before.

There is a strong smell of gas all around and i can see gas coming out trough the exhaust too. I did VAG again and always getting cylinder 1,2 and 3 misfiring and multiply misfires.

Im not sure if anything have to do with injectors, but its weird a bit that all three die same moment and only on that side of the engine?

Anyone have idea what can be wrong or what should i look for?

gregory.fazekas
08-24-2014, 06:07 PM
What did the old plugs look like when you pulled them out? Also, did you pull codes? What did you get?

mistic571
08-24-2014, 06:21 PM
Plugs was soaked with gas, cylinder 2 the most, codes that came up are P0301, P0302, P0303, P0300, P0136, P1653, P0068, P307A, also codes for Bank 1 and 2 did show up but i did not record them, I'm not sure which codes are exactly for this one.

Also yesterday, before taking everything a part, when i just toke off coils and plugs, i start engine for a second and from cylinder 2 blow out probably 1/4 of gas.

It looks like injectors are not closing, they are pushing a lot of gas to the cylinders, I'm not sure :(

gregory.fazekas
08-24-2014, 08:03 PM
try swapping injectors from one side to the other, although I don't think its the injectors, its not a bad idea to rule it out

mistic571
08-24-2014, 08:08 PM
Do you have any idea what can be the cause?

gregory.fazekas
08-24-2014, 08:23 PM
ok, well lets break the codes down that you gave me
P0301: Misfire Cylinder 1
P0302: Misfire Cylinder 2
P0303: Misfire Cylinder 3
P0300: Multiple Cylinder Misfire
P0136: O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage
The above codes are all related, clearly something is going on with that cylinder bank, and running with it missing has destroyed your 02 sensor, and possibly your cat.
P1653: Check DTC memory of ABS Module...this could be a brake light switch or something of the sort, I don't believe it throws a MIL light so we can ignore it
P0068: Throttle Position Correlation...chances are when you were cleaning, you threw off the throttle body adaptation, so that can be explained easily
P307A: Air intake system, flow too low. This can also be related to a throttle body.

gregory.fazekas
08-24-2014, 08:26 PM
First plan should be to get everything working the best you can, do the throttle body adaptation and make sure it is cleaned, clean your MAF and go through your intake system, make sure nothing is blocking the flow. After that, clear the codes with vag-com and see what comes back. It appears you are getting fuel and spark, so the only thing left is air. If air is getting in, the issue could be air getting out. A clogged cat will cause a lot of issues, and the fact that fuel is pooling in the cylinder leads me to believe that is the issue

mistic571
08-24-2014, 08:29 PM
Gregory, thanks for helping out. Ill open everything again tomorrow and see if can figured out whats going on, i ordered new injectors ( only for 1,2,3 cylinders ) from audi dealer and they'll be ready for pick up tomorrow. If that does not work either, I'm out of options. Im almost 100% sure that its just some stupid electronics messing up, some sensor or smith like that.

And thats all about German engineering... sadly

If you get some new idea please let me know, I'm open for any suggestion.

mistic571
08-24-2014, 08:35 PM
Ill do what you suggesting, might be cat, ill know more details tomorrow..i guess :(

jmswashere
08-25-2014, 02:56 AM
Could be the fuel pump(s)? in combination with gunked up injectors. Just a suggestion. My second guess could possibly be a cat.

gregory.fazekas
08-25-2014, 12:54 PM
Could be the fuel pump(s)? in combination with gunked up injectors. Just a suggestion. My second guess could possibly be a cat.
The fact that he is still getting fuel to those cylinders kind of rules out either a low or high pressure fuel pump. Although a failing injector could be flooding the engine on that bank.

mistic571
08-26-2014, 05:16 PM
Gregory, i got new injectors and replace them, now i have smooth idle and car have really nice work. So conclusion is - Injectors was bad. After i installed everything back and start the car i got all bunch of different codes, i eras them and every next minute i got less and less codes coming back. Although i still have a lot of smoke coming out from the exhaust. Finally after half of the day i have only two codes still coming back, one is P2006 and other P2007, its bank 1 and 2 stuck close. Do you have any idea what can be a cause and what i can dpi about it. I guess that reason for exhaust smoke is this, but I'm not sure.