PDA

View Full Version : Rough idle , check engine blinking ...

transp0rter
08-17-2014, 07:46 AM
Hello folks, it's been a while, for a good reason, car been running smooth...

So this is the deal .
The other day, I drove my car for about 100 miles, parked it, washed it after I turns it on, the cel was blinking and very rough idle.
Unfortunately , last time I took the car to the dealer , I guess the tech stole my vag cable because as I was to pull it out to do the scan it wasn't there, and none has access to it, but me.....to late for that now .

Long story short. I replaced 5 other coils, other 3 were done few months ago.
Same thing.
Than I replaced MAF and PURGE valve , same thing.
Went to auto zone they ran the scan p01 and po3 misfiring he said.
Than I opened and changed 1 and 3 spark plugs.. Same thing 1 was pretty darn bad.

The only thing left now is the fuel injectors 1 and 3

When I drive the car I can feel the hesitation early 1 st gear than when I move it seems ok...
Idle is rough too...

I thought about chain tensioner but than again only in cold starts when I hear that 1-2 sec rattle which it's been there since day one....

The car has 130k

Any input would be appreciated....
Thanks gents.

FormulaElement
08-17-2014, 11:41 AM
Water has had to get somewhere it wasn't supposed too.. Its too convenient that this started after you washed it. The only place that would cause problems with water would be the coil pack or spark plug area, which you would of noticed when you pulled them...

Whats wrong with the spark plugs? Are they fouled?

I would be careful at this point, misfires on one bank of the engine could cause a lot of stress on the timing components. We know how weak and brittle they get already.... I would hate to see a tensioner break from too much stress while you're driving it.

SinCityA6
08-17-2014, 11:54 AM
+1^^^ Did you clean the engine during the wash?

transp0rter
08-17-2014, 01:51 PM
Hey guys. Thanks for the replies.

As far as the cleabing up part I only cleaned it outisde.
When I took the coils out, All of them were dry.
But I replaced the 5 that weren't replaced the time I did the 3.

And plugs, #1 plug when I pulled it out, It was terribly worn/burned. I replaced that one. Still no luck.
I replaced all 8 at 98K . the rest seem fine and good shape.

Could the #1 injector cause the plug to go that way?
It doesn't seem that hard to pull the Injectors out... Obviously I'll shut the full pump off and run the car till it stops...

Thnx again

I also forgot to mention, if listen carefully I can literally hear the "puff" sort of noise coming on the left side of the engine bank , facing the engine. (a misfiring sound)
and I didn't clean the engine at all.

jmswashere
08-18-2014, 12:14 AM
Hey guys. Thanks for the replies.

As far as the cleabing up part I only cleaned it outisde.
When I took the coils out, All of them were dry.
But I replaced the 5 that weren't replaced the time I did the 3.

And plugs, #1 plug when I pulled it out, It was terribly worn/burned. I replaced that one. Still no luck.
I replaced all 8 at 98K . the rest seem fine and good shape.

Could the #1 injector cause the plug to go that way?
It doesn't seem that hard to pull the Injectors out... Obviously I'll shut the full pump off and run the car till it stops...

Thnx again

I also forgot to mention, if listen carefully I can literally hear the "puff" sort of noise coming on the left side of the engine bank , facing the engine. (a misfiring sound)
and I didn't clean the engine at all.

I would get the engine carbon cleaned, possibly replace all of the coil packs, and probably get the fuel pumps replaced. I had to do that for my S6, and now everything is hunky doory. And during the the carbon cleaning I had all of the fuel injectors replaced as well. Might have been overkill, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

FormulaElement
08-18-2014, 01:33 AM
I would get the engine carbon cleaned, possibly replace all of the coil packs, and probably get the fuel pumps replaced. I had to do that for my S6, and now everything is hunky doory. And during the the carbon cleaning I had all of the fuel injectors replaced as well. Might have been overkill, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

the 05-06 4.2 wasn't direct injection... There shouldn't be much if any carbon buildup.

Without a VAG-COM cable, I would just take it to the dealer to at least diagnose the problem. You can always fix it yourself from there.

transp0rter
08-18-2014, 05:57 AM
@jmswahere carbon is not an issue for this model.... I did the coils, all of them ... plugs 40K ago MAF , purge valve etc...

@fomulaElement the car Is about 90 miles away from the delaer.

I will try replace the fuel injector this coming weekend, and hopefully find a Vag-Com cable by then, too.

jmswashere
08-18-2014, 08:46 AM
Oh my bad, I thought it was one of the later FSI models

-A6-
08-22-2014, 07:19 AM
I am having the same problem with my A6 4.2, let me know if you find out what's wrong, also does your rough idle stop after you pass 20mph? I have a blinking cel until I reach about 20 it stops n runs great or if it's warm it runs great to, I have codes saying cylinder 2 misfire, rear temperature heater core exceeded an coolant reaching engine sensor, I do have a coolant leak from the reservoir though im replacing that next week, also occasionally it will say Random misfire I don't have codes or id post them but its a strange problem. I haven't done any work yet though this just started after some spirited driving in the desert.

transp0rter
08-22-2014, 08:25 AM
A6, that's exactly what happens after the car starts running over 2o mph or so its as if there isn't anything wrong... same thing with check engine light. I have bought 2 new injectors and I will replace this weekend and see if I takes care of the situation. there isn't much more left to be done to be honest.
I haven't driven it since it happened.
in past , similar symptoms were cause by the MAF sensor, Coils, and Purge valve. u might wanna check that. also plugs as well....

will see what happens tomorrow
wish me luck :)

-A6-
08-22-2014, 08:38 AM
Good luck! Im looking forward to hearing the results! Next week im changing my Coil packs and the spark plugs , ive cleaned MAF already, maybe ill have to replace it, n it looks like it is the fuel injectors I was doing some more research n it all seems to end with changing injectors after doing everything else, how much are you spending on your injector change anyway? Hopefully it works it seems like we have same issue best of luck!

transp0rter
08-22-2014, 09:01 AM
thanks!!

well at this point im only replacing the two the codes showed up 1 and 3. but if that takes care of the issue I will most likely replace all because I plan to ship the car to EU next year, for summer driving only so I want to make sure I can change as many things as possible before I ship it.

but first things first though.

as far as pricing, these cost $90 a piece , OEM Bosch. dealer has them $145... and alternative is , sending them to some places and they will fix , clean , rebuild whatever is needed.... also purchaseg the orings for the other 6 In case they get damaged as I take in out...

-A6-
08-22-2014, 09:38 AM
Oh man shipping these heavy cars is always fun lol, but thanks for the info! Doesn't sound too expensive to replace hopefully it solves all the issues!

transp0rter
08-22-2014, 10:14 AM
I guess ill find out lol....

thanks will keep you posted

transp0rter
08-22-2014, 04:51 PM
so ... long story short . i had some time earlier and i removed the rail with the injectors and not surprising a few injectors (the piece before the o-ring which i didn't purchase and not sure can be replaced broke, they're not rubber , they're plastic....
so i need to order new 6 injectors ...
will keep you posted....

FormulaElement
08-22-2014, 05:47 PM
I would post this in the b6/7 S4 forum. Most of them don't have the tip trans but I highly doubt it is causing these symptoms... I'm sure a few of them have had similar if not the same problems.

FL C6 Avant
08-22-2014, 06:29 PM
so ... long story short . i had some time earlier and i removed the rail with the injectors and not surprising a few injectors (the piece before the o-ring which i didn't purchase and not sure can be replaced broke, they're not rubber , they're plastic....
so i need to order new 6 injectors ...
will keep you posted....
Post a pic if you can, but i believe you are referring to pintle caps over the injector face. those keep the o rings seated. if it's like nissan injectors, without those you will fuel lock your cylinder. Also, as precautionary measure even with new injectors/pintle caps I would pressurise the rail before you put it back in and make sure no leakage.

transp0rter
08-22-2014, 06:39 PM
formulaElement .... not following whats causing what??

transp0rter
08-22-2014, 06:48 PM
Post a pic if you can, but i believe you are referring to pintle caps over the injector face. those keep the o rings seated. if it's like nissan injectors, without those you will fuel lock your cylinder. Also, as precautionary measure even with new injectors/pintle caps I would pressurise the rail before you put it back in and make sure no leakage.

FL look at this pic what I'm talking about is the white part at the top were cracked . the rubber pieces i bought to replace but they're no good now....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fuel-Injector-Gas-VW-Audi-A4-Quattro-Volkswagen-Passat-2006-2005-2004-2003-/350734213544

FormulaElement
08-22-2014, 07:03 PM
formulaElement .... not following whats causing what??

Sorry..?!? Did you fix your problem?

I meant I would post the problem your having with your car in that forum because they have the same engine and transmission (if they have the auto) as our cars.... Referring to the misfires, hesitation etc...

transp0rter
08-22-2014, 07:12 PM
Sorry..?!? Did you fix your problem?

I meant I would post the problem your having with your car in that forum because they have the same engine and transmission (if they have the auto) as our cars.... Referring to the misfires, hesitation etc...

sorry man i misunderstood...
when i took the rail with the injectors out some of the plastic parts that hold the orings intact are broken, so I'm kinda screwed ... need to get the other 6 new injectors ...
btw, i will post there too.

FL C6 Avant
08-22-2014, 07:19 PM
The white piece goes into the intake runner, yes? at a minimum it is holding your o-ring in place (vapor leak). I can't tell if it also holds the spray tip in--that is the piece that worries me--if the solenoid has no seat to close against--cylinder fills up with fuel as fast as your pump can fill it....crank turns....bent rod....

-A6-
08-23-2014, 04:27 PM
Im learning so much just by reading this, n also how hard was it to remove rail yourself? I was looking for the procedure online n could not find it I did it on a Toyota but this is much different lol