PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new motor...

B6_4.2
08-14-2014, 08:16 AM
So I was driving home today, coasting on the freeway going about 70mph when I experienced a sudden loss in power/throttle response and violent vibrations as well. Put the car in neutral and pulled off the freeway as soon as possible, after a long ordeal finally got the car on a trailer and to my house. The car started up but sounded like it was only running on one bank... So I started pulling spark plugs to see if the worst case scenario had occurred.

This guy was in the second cylinder on the passenger side:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/14/era4umeh.jpg
Completely toasted

This one was in the third cylinder on the driver side:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/14/apu3u9ag.jpg
Shavings between posts and electrode?

All the other spark plugs and cylinders appeared normal... That's as far as I've gotten with this.

Is it possible to salvage the short block and just replace heads or valve train components? Or should I just start looking for a good long block already? Can't get a good look at the piston right now. Got a friend lending a hand with a bore scope and factory scan tool Friday to get a little more info on just what happened before we tear it apart. Right now I assume a cam adjuster failed, scan tool should help confirm or deny that.

jjvwg
08-14-2014, 08:52 AM
Time for a 2.7 swap!

B6_4.2
08-14-2014, 09:10 AM
Time for a 2.7 swap!

Thinking about it... Or maybe VR6T. But I do love the sound of the 4.2

mec
08-14-2014, 12:17 PM
So I was driving home today, coasting on the freeway going about 70mph when I experienced a sudden loss in power/throttle response and violent vibrations as well. Put the car in neutral and pulled off the freeway as soon as possible, after a long ordeal finally got the car on a trailer and to my house. The car started up but sounded like it was only running on one bank... So I started pulling spark plugs to see if the worst case scenario had occurred.

This guy was in the second cylinder on the passenger side:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/14/era4umeh.jpg
Completely toasted

This one was in the third cylinder on the driver side:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/14/apu3u9ag.jpg
Shavings between posts and electrode?

All the other spark plugs and cylinders appeared normal... That's as far as I've gotten with this.

Is it possible to salvage the short block and just replace heads or valve train components? Or should I just start looking for a good long block already? Can't get a good look at the piston right now. Got a friend lending a hand with a bore scope and factory scan tool Friday to get a little more info on just what happened before we tear it apart. Right now I assume a cam adjuster failed, scan tool should help confirm or deny that.

Borescope and leakdown test. Engine should be fine though, might just have to replace a valve or two

boostedAvant
08-14-2014, 02:56 PM
Time for a 2.7 swap!

This.

Borescope and leakdown test. Engine should be fine though, might just have to replace a valve or two

Depends on how bad the cylinder is damaged. It's probably cheaper to do a 2.7t swap in the long run. Plus boost. Everyone loves boost..

jjvwg
08-14-2014, 03:42 PM
But I do love the sound of the 4.2

Unfortunately that's about the only thing it has going for it, at altitude at least.

jjvwg
08-14-2014, 03:46 PM
Borescope and leakdown test.

This is your best bet before having to tear anything down. Doesn't look like the FOD is very big so I'm guessing no damage to the top of the piston heads, but I'm curious if shavings that small could have caused any cylinder wall damage.

B6_4.2
08-14-2014, 04:13 PM
Yeah, gotta wait until tomorrow to get this done. Hopefully I can get away with just some head work...

B6_4.2
08-16-2014, 05:55 PM
So the bore scoping showed that valves met pistons on bank 1, cylinder 2 getting the worst of it and damaging the cylinder wall and piston for sure. So it looks like I'm in the market for a long block, started looking into possibly picking up a salvage S4 at an insurance auction but not sure if that would be the best idea...

mikehawk666
08-17-2014, 12:02 PM
I have a 2.7 w/ k04s and a rebuilt 01e I'm looking to part ways with. Just saying..

Mcstiff
08-17-2014, 10:21 PM
07K!

FLACO X3
08-18-2014, 05:58 AM
That's what I told him!

B6_4.2
08-20-2014, 08:51 PM
Trying to find a healthy 4.2 to throw in for now. Also contemplating a 07k, but would rather get the car back on the road sooner with the v8. Might look into that swap in a B6 once I'm done with this though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk