PDA

View Full Version : S6 gearbox issues (6HP26A)

Dele Z.
08-06-2014, 05:21 AM
Hi all,

Sunday morning I got into the car and put it into R to leave my driveway

Nothing.

Reverse didn't engage, the car didn't give an error, it just sat in R but let me rev the car as if it was in N, this happened twice before R finally engaged and I could move off the driveway only to put it into D and have it do the same thing to me, nothing

Once it was moving, it didn't give me any more trouble and its been fine for a few days, this morning? it did the same routine.

Theres no nasty noises, no burning smells, its the strangest thing

Anyone out there had this issue on their C6 S6? I hear its a problem on the older C5 but they have a different gearbox, For what its worth mine is a 2009 car with 42k miles on it, both times this happened the car was on level ground

v8a6
08-06-2014, 06:03 AM
Yeah, on the C5 ZF transmissions this was commonplace, and I cost me $5000 to fix on one of my A6s.

The transmission you have in the S6 is a million times more reliable.

First thing you need to do is pull the codes to see if there are any transmission issues. If there are no codes, then you might want to try having the trans fluid level checked by a reputable Audi shop.

On the old A6s, sometimes the magnet, or something, in the shift assembly could cause a similar problem, but I have never heard about that on the C6.

Start with checking the codes, then checking the fluid, or a fluid flush, and then go from there.

There is a member named TozoM8 who could provide expert advice if you can get him. My advice is just based on internet search

Good luck

v8a6
08-06-2014, 06:06 AM
LOL

Just checked the TSB in my own sig and found this...

No drive or delayed drive in D or R
http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Transmission/No%20drive%20or%20delayed%20drive%20in%20D%20or%20 R.pdf

It doesnt mention the S6 (only A6), but you could read through it anyway and see what applies.

Dele Z.
08-06-2014, 06:23 AM
I think the S6 has a unique gearbox to it and the Bentley Continentals(?)

I'll get it checked out but not sure how applicable that TSB is, although that is actually the exact symptom

ApexRex
08-06-2014, 06:56 AM
The S6 and the A6 4.2 actually have the same transmission. There are some other shared parts too, like the front steering knuckle for instance.

FormulaElement
08-06-2014, 01:11 PM
The S6 and the A6 4.2 actually have the same transmission. There are some other shared parts too, like the front steering knuckle for instance.

The 4.2 uses the 6HP19, same as the 3.2.... The 4.2 in the A8 uses the 6HP26

Im sure not all of the parts internally as the same as each other though...

OP, it sounds like some pressure sensor or something of the sort. VAG-COM would help, otherwise you may just want to take it into Audi

ApexRex
08-06-2014, 01:41 PM
The 4.2 uses the 6HP19, same as the 3.2.... The 4.2 in the A8 uses the 6HP26

Im sure not all of the parts internally as the same as each other though...

Ah, I thought I had read the S6 and A6 4.2 shared the same trans, but I can't recall now where that resource is.