PDA

View Full Version : C6.5 owners who have or have had H&R Sport lowering springs... I need your feedback!

PovGRide742
08-05-2014, 05:19 AM
Hello everyone,

I apologize if this has already been discussed. I am looking for feedback from those who have or have had H&R Sport lowering springs on their C6.5 A6.

My car is a 2010 A6 Quattro Prestige, NON S-Line that came factory with the 18" wheel package... so I assume I do not have the Sport suspension. I have ~60,000 miles on the stock shocks. I prefer a nice, even gap around the tire to the fender liner, so the amount springs would lower the car would be fine with me, but I don't want to go pulling everything again shortly after due to blown shocks.

What I'm trying to decide between are:
* H&R Sport Lowering Springs
* ST Performance Coilovers

So my question is, for those who have or have had H&R Sport Lowering Springs, do you wish you went with coilovers instead, or feel the springs were a waste of your money? Feedback from those who don't or haven't have H&R Sport Lowering Springs is also welcome.

Please keep in mind I'm not looking to 'stance' my car... just want a subtle drop (will be putting 19" S5 Peelers on) and don't want to blow out my suspension shortly after installing.

Thanks,
Brett

Cgoon009
08-05-2014, 05:47 AM
Hello everyone,

I apologize if this has already been discussed. I am looking for feedback from those who have or have had H&R Sport lowering springs on their C6.5 A6.

My car is a 2010 A6 Quattro Prestige, NON S-Line that came factory with the 18" wheel package... so I assume I do not have the Sport suspension. I have ~60,000 miles on the stock shocks. I prefer a nice, even gap around the tire to the fender liner, so the amount springs would lower the car would be fine with me, but I don't want to go pulling everything again shortly after due to blown shocks.

What I'm trying to decide between are:
* H&R Sport Lowering Springs
* ST Performance Coilovers

So my question is, for those who have or have had H&R Sport Lowering Springs, do you wish you went with coilovers instead, or feel the springs were a waste of your money? Feedback from those who don't or haven't have H&R Sport Lowering Springs is also welcome.

Please keep in mind I'm not looking to 'stance' my car... just want a subtle drop (will be putting 19" S5 Peelers on) and don't want to blow out my suspension shortly after installing.

Thanks,
Brett

Well, The STs are near factory ride quality but sit low even at max height (spacers would be recommended for the rear) They are matched springs and shocks, making for a smooth ride.

The H&Rs are more aggressive in the spring rates, so a stiffer ride. But without your S line suspension you may find the rebound to harsh. Your softer shocks wont be matched with the hard springs. That being said, I know that people have run springs (Sincity iirc) and loved the ride and found it to be fine. The springs also offer a fixed drop, so no control over rake without spacers.

We will be putting H&Rs on our C6 Avant (Sline) soon, so if you wait we will have a review. Pics of the sedan on ST coilovers (no spacers, but jacked all the way up in the rear)

http://cleanaudidotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/az-rollers-12.jpg

http://cleanaudidotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/az-rollers-6.jpg

http://cleanaudidotcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/overhead-shot.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2906/14407642083_249f42fc42_b.jpg

SinCityA6
08-05-2014, 07:43 AM
I have run the H&R springs since May of 2012(50k miles on the clock); first on the stock shocks/struts and more recently with Koni FSD shocks/struts. I can honestly say that I am happy with them. I, like you started out with a non-Sport suspension so the drop was more than the 1.6 average advertised by H&R (I feel they were referring to average drop from OEM Sport suspension). My drop came in at around 2 inches after settling. I feel that the ride of the H&R springs and OEM shocks/struts was good. With the FSD's it is better.
Some might say that running lowering springs on factory shocks/struts will cause them to blow out. I had my setup like that for over 2 years and never had an issue. At 80k miles it was time for a change so I went with the FSD's.
If you are not looking for adjustability, the H&R springs are a good option.

PovGRide742
08-05-2014, 04:43 PM
Well, The STs are near factory ride quality but sit low even at max height (spacers would be recommended for the rear) They are matched springs and shocks, making for a smooth ride.

The H&Rs are more aggressive in the spring rates, so a stiffer ride. But without your S line suspension you may find the rebound to harsh. Your softer shocks wont be matched with the hard springs. That being said, I know that people have run springs (Sincity iirc) and loved the ride and found it to be fine. The springs also offer a fixed drop, so no control over rake without spacers.

We will be putting H&Rs on our C6 Avant (Sline) soon, so if you wait we will have a review.
Appreciate the feedback. While the ride in my A6 is comfortable, it's too 'rolly', so perhaps I may appreciate the stiffer ride. Plus... I have H&R Premiums on my S4 so I'm going out for an aggressive drive I'd just take that out. I don't need all that with the A6. I just want a subtle drop.

I have run the H&R springs since May of 2012(50k miles on the clock); first on the stock shocks/struts and more recently with Koni FSD shocks/struts. I can honestly say that I am happy with them. I, like you started out with a non-Sport suspension so the drop was more than the 1.6 average advertised by H&R (I feel they were referring to average drop from OEM Sport suspension). My drop came in at around 2 inches after settling. I feel that the ride of the H&R springs and OEM shocks/struts was good. With the FSD's it is better.
Some might say that running lowering springs on factory shocks/struts will cause them to blow out. I had my setup like that for over 2 years and never had an issue. At 80k miles it was time for a change so I went with the FSD's.
If you are not looking for adjustability, the H&R springs are a good option.
This is good news. Plus... at only $240ish shipped (just ordered through AWE), even if they only lasted 2 years I'd just swap out for coilovers.

IIRC I saw you post in another thread you need to run 2-3 degrees more negative camber in the back with your wheels (19x8.5 ET33 IIRC). I'm gonna be running B8 S5 Peelers (19x9.0 ET33) on P255/35ZR19s. Do you think with the drop from the springs and these tires/offset I'll need to stray from the OEM alignment specs... or is that mainly for excessively lowered cars?

Thanks guys!

ApexRex
08-06-2014, 07:06 AM
I don't have a C6.5, but I put H&R Sport springs on my 07 4.2 on stock shocks about 2 months ago. My shocks are near blown already (80k) so I really should have replaced them when I was in there. I think the basis of your question is if you are going to lower the car, should you go with springs and new shocks or coilovers, and the answer is yes, because whether you it yourself or pay someone to do it, you are essentially doing the same procedure in the front, and the rear isn't that much different. I would not just do springs without replacing the blown oem shocks. My ride is fine, but there are times that I wish I had replaced the shocks, or just waited and gone with coilovers, because they are really about the same price.