PDA

View Full Version : Another ATW to AWM thread

U_know_me
08-01-2014, 10:27 AM
Hi All,
I know this is a subject that has been covered over an over again, the issue is that all the info I am finding is very old with expired/broken links or is not applicable to my setup.

I am wanting to go to AWM wideband. The below is what I think I need, and also a little about my car.

- AWM ECU with VVT coded out
- ATW to AWM harness (I cant find this anymore, I think 034 made them but all the links are broken, anyone know where I can get them? or an easy/documented way to DIY)
- Wideband 02 Sensor (Is this wired into the existing plug or do I need to do something different here?)
^Is this all I need^

About my car
00 1.8t B5 A4
ATW Block
AEB Head still DBW

Currently piecing together a turbo setup and this is a piece of the puzzle that I am struggling with.
For those that will ask, the setup is not, but is most comparable to the FT21 kit.

Thanks in advance for the help!

fed0ra
08-01-2014, 10:50 AM
What you need:

- adapter harness (Raceline made mine but I think they're out of business, unitronic has one for 100)
- wideband o2 sensor
- awm MAF sensor
- awm injectors (unless upgrading from the start)
- "ch" ecu with vvt coded out

I think that's it. I recommend Motoza tuning. He can code out vvt and anything else and make sure the tube suits your setup.

Good luck!

MetalMan
08-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Found Unitronic's harness:
http://www.unitronic-chipped.com/store/wideband-ecu-conversion-kit.html
Looks like you plug this into your current primary O2 sensor plug, then plug the wideband O2 sensor into the harness.

U_know_me
08-01-2014, 11:34 AM
- awm MAF sensor

Thanks for the info and I will check Motoza out!

I am wanting to go MAFless. From what I have read the AWM mainly runs off the 02, and from my understanding as long as my tuner knows I will be MAFless I should be ok. Am I on the right track with this or is it not that simple?

U_know_me
08-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Found Unitronic's harness:
http://www.unitronic-chipped.com/store/wideband-ecu-conversion-kit.html
Looks like you plug this into your current primary O2 sensor plug, then plug the wideband O2 sensor into the harness.

Awesome!! That is exactly what I was looking for!

GrapeBandit
08-01-2014, 11:43 AM
you are lucky you have atw(although it is the bastard child:058 block/small port head). if you had aeb, the process to switch over is a bit more complicated. ie new TB with wire adapted to it somehow, DBW pedals and probably more

U_know_me
08-01-2014, 12:07 PM
you are lucky you have atw(although it is the bastard child:058 block/small port head). if you had aeb, the process to switch over is a bit more complicated. ie new TB with wire adapted to it somehow, DBW pedals and probably more

Well.... [:D] I have the best of both worlds, with the AEB head, but still have that shitty block [mad]

fed0ra
08-01-2014, 12:42 PM
Aeb and ATW share the same block.

fed0ra
08-01-2014, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the info and I will check Motoza out!

I am wanting to go MAFless. From what I have read the AWM mainly runs off the 02, and from my understanding as long as my tuner knows I will be MAFless I should be ok. Am I on the right track with this or is it not that simple?

It's not quite that simple. Yes you can easily run mafless but you have to be tuned for mafless. Otherwise it won't run quite right.

Corrado_Guy
08-01-2014, 12:47 PM
I used the Raceline harness which is now sold/made by Unitronics and I did not code out the VVT, the resister in the adapter harness addresses this. I bought a '4B0 906 018 M' ECM, a ME7.5 TT225 MAF, and a wideband O2 sensor. An hour of work and it was swapped over and then I flashed it with Maestro. I was running Siemens 440cc injectors but when I swapped I went to Siemens 630cc injectors which I could never get to idle properly so I went to Bosch EV14 - 550cc injectors which work beautifully. I have very little adaptation on my fuel trims and the economy went up a fair bit with the injector change. I go between running with and without a MAF and on the whole it runs much better with the MAF. Instead of just relying on the O2 sensor it is better to run a MAF unless you have some perverse desire to run a blow-off valve or make huge power there is little point of taking the MAF out.

MetalMan
08-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Well.... [:D] I have the best of both worlds, with the AEB head, but still have that shitty block [mad]

Well, not quite. You have the AEB block as fedora mentioned, but your head and intake manifold have the same small ports as AWM (except without VVT).

U_know_me
08-01-2014, 01:06 PM
I used the Raceline harness which is now sold/made by Unitronics and I did not code out the VVT, the resister in the adapter harness addresses this. I bought a '4B0 906 018 M' ECM, a ME7.5 TT225 MAF, and a wideband O2 sensor. An hour of work and it was swapped over and then I flashed it with Maestro. I was running Siemens 440cc injectors but when I swapped I went to Siemens 630cc injectors which I could never get to idle properly so I went to Bosch EV14 - 550cc injectors which work beautifully. I have very little adaptation on my fuel trims and the economy went up a fair bit with the injector change. I go between running with and without a MAF and on the whole it runs much better with the MAF. Instead of just relying on the O2 sensor it is better to run a MAF unless you have some perverse desire to run a blow-off valve or make huge power there is little point of taking the MAF out.

Thank you for the info!!
What Turbo Setup are you running? I am trying to make the best injector decision for my setup, the FT uses/suggests the 630cc but I think that is a little overkill, and I am shooting for smoothness and driveability over extreme power. Incase you didnt catch it in my OP I will not be running the FT setup but it is very similar.

U_know_me
08-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Well, not quite. You have the AEB block as fedora mentioned, but your head and intake manifold have the same small ports as AWM (except without VVT).

I have a swapped AEB head no longer the ATW, and will have an AEB manifold on the setup soon, so that should make me "high flow" unless I am missing something?

GrapeBandit
08-01-2014, 01:15 PM

no, aeb block(058)with small port (awm head, just stamped atw).

fed0ra
08-01-2014, 01:19 PM

no, aeb block(058)with small port (awm head, just stamped atw).

He was confused on the block but he said he installed an AEB head.

GrapeBandit
08-01-2014, 02:29 PM
^ahh, I missed that...so his "engine" is aeb then...ecu atw, for now

fed0ra
08-01-2014, 02:42 PM
^ahh, I missed that...so his "engine" is aeb then...ecu atw, for now

That's my understanding.

MetalMan
08-01-2014, 02:47 PM
I have a swapped AEB head no longer the ATW, and will have an AEB manifold on the setup soon, so that should make me "high flow" unless I am missing something?

He was confused on the block but he said he installed an AEB head.

Darn, hate it when I miss something from the OP. My mistake.

U_know_me
08-01-2014, 03:19 PM
LOL yup, engine is AEB, with a ATW brain "for now".... Thanks for all the help Gents!!

Corrado_Guy
08-01-2014, 06:22 PM
I am running the original disco potato GT28RS with a hybrid core with a T3 flange and 3" cat-less downpipe to a 2.5" exhaust and a FMIC. I run a MBC but I have played with it with and without the N75 and N249 but haven't logged enough to see much difference either way. I am putting rods in right now so the motor and transmission are currently out and parts are scattered everywhere at the moment. My bores are perfect at about 210,000 kms so a quick hone and I will throw it back together. There is a little scuffing on the Teflon on the piston skirts but it is not much and it had good compression before.

I would stay away from the Siemens if you are going for Maestro, I read so many threads when I was having hunting issues and most people had the Siemens 630cc injectors. I am sure others are fine but I would not recommend using them from my experience. I did nothing other than swap injectors and re-flash the tune with the 550 Maestro tune scaled to my MAF and it has been great. It is much better than when it was ME7.1 with a Uni Stage 3 tune & Siemens 440cc injectors and my current set-up and the 630cc injectors.

If kOmpresd is really your tuner then I would just ask him what you should do be doing because he would know. Find the ideal number you want for total power and then build it up. Never forget, power is nothing without control. When you do a build you start with the maintenance items then suspension & brakes and then the motor. Additional power will find every weak point on your driveline and break it or worse so if you have more power then you have to make sure you can control it.

GrapeBandit
08-01-2014, 06:33 PM
^he is right, as I was nearing the end of his post, it reminded me of this pic I had, so ill share it.
http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt258/m1racing_2009/V_A_G/14235_195935026004_5128706_n_1.jpg

Corrado_Guy
08-01-2014, 06:48 PM
I was going to mention that the biggest loose nut is usually behind the wheel but some people don't take it the right way.

GrapeBandit
08-01-2014, 06:53 PM
I was going to mention that the biggest loose nut is usually behind the wheel but some people don't take it the right way.

thats funny you say that(not in those exact words, but to that effect), because I was actually just coming back in here to edit and add something to my post, but no need to now, you already said it...lol

U_know_me
08-02-2014, 06:59 AM
If kOmpresd is really your tuner then I would just ask him what you should do be doing because he would know. Find the ideal number you want for total power and then build it up. Never forget, power is nothing without control. When you do a build you start with the maintenance items then suspension & brakes and then the motor. Additional power will find every weak point on your driveline and break it or worse so if you have more power then you have to make sure you can control it.

K0mpresd did the current tune I am running and I plan on speaking with him when I get a little closer to needing his services. I honestly have not PM'd him because with the last transaction it was difficult to get additional information out of him and I felt like he was very busy. I say that not to put him down or say he is not good at what he does because I was very satisfied with the tune and the services he provided, I just think he is a busy man!

I really hope those last few comments are not directed at me, but everyone has an opinion I guess. I am at the tip of the pyramid currently, minus maybe weight reduction. I have upgraded the front brakes to the Porsche calipers with A8 rotors & braded lines, done the full front end control arm service, have decent wheels and tires for my standards. I have done head swap and supporting mods, along with several other things that would support this upgrade. I have had this car for several years and feel like I have been careful to do things in the correct order as best I know how. No one is perfect but I assure you I am not some idiot that just wants a huge turbo and a massive swoosh for everyone to see.

Thanks for the help everyone!