PDA

View Full Version : Lower More, Power Coat Wheel, or Different Wheels? Suggestion?

AudiTurbo
08-01-2014, 04:04 AM
It wouldn't let me change the title to Powder lol.

So, I am at a point now that I have fixed everything about the car, but the outside appearance. The outside of the car is clean, but not 100% perfect (My OCD makes the inside of the car be spotless). I have already went from the 2 piece headlights to the one piece and the intercooler piping made me remove the front
Should I go a little bit lower on the coilovers, leave it, powder coat the wheels gunmetal, or buy new wheels?
I want to keep the 16's for autocrossing at least, I just don't know if I want to go bigger with the wheels. I know I want to go with a bigger rear anti-sway bar soon (Is it true there is no reason to change the front sway bar?)
Suggestions on what to do next? Tint the windows (just a little), new grill?
I love the pearl white, but it's hard to work with sometimes.
Thanks

https://i.imgur.com/8Yjh8cc.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ALXBMGp.jpg

MarcusDubya77
08-01-2014, 04:31 AM
Anodize the IC black (if possible), lower just a tad, bigger wheels w/ wider tires and I would call it a wrap..beautiful car that is at the perfect age to no overdo anything....

AudiTurbo
08-01-2014, 05:22 AM
Thanks. I'm almost tucking in the front and the back is almost all the way down. What color and size wheels? I don't think I want to go bigger than 17", I'm running a 225 tire now

I've been thinking about painting the grille a better looking black and getting rid of the chrome around the hole grille (leaving the rings as they are)

U_know_me
08-01-2014, 06:30 AM
Love your ride, especially the color, I might be bias though :)

look here Zine Wheel and tire setup thread (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/603754-What-is-your-wheel-and-tire-setup) it will give you some good idea of what wheels or how much low you might want. If you are already lowerd (looks that way) you might benefit from a larger wheel and getting a larger rear sway bar to complete the look of the car and give you some better handling. I woudlnt go larger than 18's sounds like you want more function than anything since you do auto x.

Davdraco1
08-01-2014, 06:48 AM
What FMIC do you have? How does it fit? I see your missing your dog lights and insert around there...

AudiTurbo
08-01-2014, 07:00 AM
Love your ride, especially the color, I might be bias though :)

look here Zine Wheel and tire setup thread (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/603754-What-is-your-wheel-and-tire-setup) it will give you some good idea of what wheels or how much low you might want. If you are already lowerd (looks that way) you might benefit from a larger wheel and getting a larger rear sway bar to complete the look of the car and give you some better handling. I woudlnt go larger than 18's sounds like you want more function than anything since you do auto x.

Thanks! I will check them out.

AudiTurbo
08-01-2014, 07:01 AM
What FMIC do you have? How does it fit? I see your missing your dog lights and insert around there...

Just an ebay core with custom piping. It took some work, but we finally got it to fit. I never had fog lights, so that made things a little bit easier

xdewaynex
08-01-2014, 07:08 AM
If youre going to autocross, I would probably keep the cars height at where its at and just get some 17's to fill in the gap. 17's with the stock size 225/45 is what I have on mine and I think it looks good.

fed0ra
08-01-2014, 08:37 AM
If you are going to be autocrossing then I think 16s are perfectly fine, just focus on the quality of the tires. Fit the biggest tire you can on that wheel with the best compound you can afford.

That height is good for autocross. I read a while back that some guys did testing of various ride heights on an A4. They lowered the height by .5" each time and then did a lap on a track; they found that about 25"GTF was the fastest.

The rear bar is a good plan, just make sure you get support brackets or you'll crack your subframe. The front bar that's on the car is perfectly fine, going bigger/stiffer would only induce more understeer (not what we want).

Also think about upgrading the brakes. You can do the A8 brake upgrade, at least in the front, which will fit behind 16s and shouldn't cost too much. You could buy a set of rotors from Adam's for ~350 (getting A8 front rotors and A4 rear rotors) and TT caliper carriers (I think you can get them used for around $100 and maybe $200 new per set). You use your stock calipers so its not a very expensive setup. If you want the A8 rear calipers you have to swap in S4 calipers so it gets pricier. All in all you would spend ~500 bucks and have bigger brakes in the front and your choice of slotting/drilling front and back.

AudiTurbo
08-01-2014, 09:16 AM
If you are going to be autocrossing then I think 16s are perfectly fine, just focus on the quality of the tires. Fit the biggest tire you can on that wheel with the best compound you can afford.

That height is good for autocross. I read a while back that some guys did testing of various ride heights on an A4. They lowered the height by .5" each time and then did a lap on a track; they found that about 25"GTF was the fastest.

The rear bar is a good plan, just make sure you get support brackets or you'll crack your subframe. The front bar that's on the car is perfectly fine, going bigger/stiffer would only induce more understeer (not what we want).

Also think about upgrading the brakes. You can do the A8 brake upgrade, at least in the front, which will fit behind 16s and shouldn't cost too much. You could buy a set of rotors from Adam's for ~350 (getting A8 front rotors and A4 rear rotors) and TT caliper carriers (I think you can get them used for around $100 and maybe $200 new per set). You use your stock calipers so its not a very expensive setup. If you want the A8 rear calipers you have to swap in S4 calipers so it gets pricier. All in all you would spend ~500 bucks and have bigger brakes in the front and your choice of slotting/drilling front and back.

thanks!
I have the a8 front brake upgrade btw