PDA

View Full Version : Audi A6 C6 3.2 Exhaust Options????

audimanstan
07-29-2014, 08:29 AM
Hello everyone. Im wondering what options I have to add a little sound to my A6 3.2. I had magnaflows mufflers installed but had too much drone so i went back to the stock. I dont need anything crazy loud just want something louder than the stock. We all can agree the stock ones are way to quite.
I was thinking about deleting some resonators. Can any professionals tell me how that would effect my exhaust? Can it damage my engine? Will there be drone? Has anyone had any experience with the c6 3.2 exhaust and could give me some on advice on what to do and what not to do? Your input will be appreciated. Thank you!

enoch861
07-29-2014, 09:47 AM
I'm at the same predicament as you.
At this point I think there a few options:
1. Delete the resonators.
2. Straight pipes at the mufflers
3. Catback exhaust from someone like Milltek.

I believe the Milltek will have low to no drone. But I'm not sure about the resonator/straight pipes.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Dutch_A6
07-29-2014, 11:54 AM
Same boat here, hate to think about paying 1500 for the Milltek setup though, I'm first going to get the center resonators deleted and then work from there. Local guy I trust will do it pretty reasonably for me, then I'll probably look at other mufflers or may just resonated tips or something.

audimanstan
07-29-2014, 12:45 PM
I dont want to pay $1500 either. Im debating between deleting the resonators or mufflers. What would have less drone? And would that mess with the engine any how? since you would be changing the air flow and pressure of the air?

v8a6
07-29-2014, 12:52 PM
I will have a stock S6 v10 exhaust available pretty soon. But I have absolutely no idea if it will bolt up to any of the other C6s.

If anyone is interested in trying it out, Ill give you a good price on it if picked up in Detroit.

enoch861
07-29-2014, 01:30 PM
I dont want to pay $1500 either. Im debating between deleting the resonators or mufflers. What would have less drone? And would that mess with the engine any how? since you would be changing the air flow and pressure of the air?
I'm definitely not paying $1500 either. But I'll probably go straight pipes at the muffler since it's probably the easiest and most inexpensive option.
I'm not sure which one will have less drone. But it shouldn't have any adverse effects on your engine. If any, it'll reduce the back pressure which is better.

I will have a stock S6 v10 exhaust available pretty soon. But I have absolutely no idea if it will bolt up to any of the other C6s.

If anyone is interested in trying it out, Ill give you a good price on it if picked up in Detroit.
I believe the S6 is on a class of it's own when it comes to exhaust.
I don't even think the 4.2 exhaust fit's on a 3.2.

Fmscell
07-29-2014, 06:48 PM
My buddy just did a res delete on his S4 4.2L & it sounds slightly throaty at idle & more grunt on full accel, but driving normal it is almost like stock, pretty cheap investment that could be exactly what your looking for?

callaghan.
07-30-2014, 06:46 AM
Does anyone have a video/ sound clip of a 3.2 with the center resonator deleted? Been wanting to do this to give just alittle nicer tone, but with a baby on the way this fall, I for sure don't want a drone while cruising.

Dutch_A6
07-30-2014, 10:42 AM
Shouldn't have any drone with just the resonator delete, you get a little more noise on WOT. As for the 4.2 exhausts they should fit exactly to the 3.2, I know at least 1 person on here has done something along those lines.

se.farrell
07-30-2014, 10:03 PM
Hello everyone. Im wondering what options I have to add a little sound to my A6 3.2. I had magnaflows mufflers installed but had too much drone so i went back to the stock.

What mufflers did you have on your car?

In 2 weeks I was about to add an x-pipe and magnaflow mufflers. I was going to start with swapping the center res for an x-pipe. Then moving to replacing the stock mufflers with Magnaflow street series (#14829) if the prior wasn't exactly what I wanted.

Also, do you have an avant or sedan (trying to gauge drone)

enoch861
07-31-2014, 10:26 AM
And for those wondering, I just got off the phone with a local Indy and a res delete on a 3.2 is about a Benjamin. Not bad at all.

Nefarious
07-31-2014, 10:36 AM
And for those wondering, I just got off the phone with a local Indy and a res delete on a 3.2 is about a Benjamin. Not bad at all.

That's kinda high as it's no more than a 30min job to cut out the res and weld straight pipe in it's place.

Dutch_A6
07-31-2014, 12:18 PM
It's what I've been quoted by multiple places as well.

enoch861
07-31-2014, 02:52 PM
That's kinda high as it's no more than a 30min job to cut out the res and weld straight pipe in it's place.
I wouldn't know any better.
What should they charge then? also factoring in the costs of the straight pipes (which shouldn't be that much either).

audimanstan
07-31-2014, 09:05 PM
I had Magnaflow 11225 Universal Muffler. It was what they local exhaust shop advised me to put. Im pretty sure they were wrong. lol. What advantage does an xpipe bring to the car if you stick with the stock mufflers? id like to see/hear what it will sound like when you get it done. you should post a clip. oh and mine is a sedan.

What mufflers did you have on your car?

In 2 weeks I was about to add an x-pipe and magnaflow mufflers. I was going to start with swapping the center res for an x-pipe. Then moving to replacing the stock mufflers with Magnaflow street series (#14829) if the prior wasn't exactly what I wanted.

Also, do you have an avant or sedan (trying to gauge drone)

audimanstan
07-31-2014, 09:09 PM
My buddy just did a res delete on his S4 4.2L & it sounds slightly throaty at idle & more grunt on full accel, but driving normal it is almost like stock, pretty cheap investment that could be exactly what your looking for?

Thank you, thats what i will probably end up doing. and if it sucks i can always just put it back on. lol

audimanstan
07-31-2014, 09:10 PM

sounds about right!!

C6Paz
08-02-2014, 12:16 PM
I stumbled on this video yesterday http://youtu.be/vYMbGEXBmfg and it's the best sounding exhaust for the 3.2 I've heard. He guy had Magnaflow mufflers, deleted all 4 resonators and replaced two of them with an xpipe. Would the resonator deletes cause damage to engine? If not too bad, it's something id definitely look into putting on my car.

SinCityA6
08-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Deleting the resonators is not going to damage the engine.