PDA

View Full Version : H&R Sport Springs

mlauener91
07-28-2014, 11:15 AM
I have been searching and have had no luck, does any one have any pictures of their 06-08 a6 lowered with h&r sports and sitting on the stock 18 in wheels? Thanks

ApexRex
07-29-2014, 07:28 AM
Here is mine on H&R springs with 18" wheels. Tires are OEM sizes, the only difference is the offset of the wheels. Stock wheels would be about 1" further in.

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt194/m-pratt/WP_20140607_002_zpse9753a2e.jpg

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt194/m-pratt/WP_20140607_003_zpscaacdfa4.jpg

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt194/m-pratt/WP_20140607_004_zps6f58ac99.jpg

Quattrocentric
07-30-2014, 07:53 PM
Here is mine on H&R springs with 18" wheels. Tires are OEM sizes, the only difference is the offset of the wheels. Stock wheels would be about 1" further in.

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt194/m-pratt/WP_20140607_003_zpscaacdfa4.jpg

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt194/m-pratt/WP_20140607_004_zps6f58ac99.jpg

Is this the 1.6" drop? How's the ride?

se.farrell
07-30-2014, 09:54 PM

Nice drop, I'm about to do this in about 2 weeks. What spacers did you use? I have the same rims currently and would like them to be as flush as your setup

ApexRex
07-31-2014, 08:58 AM
Is this the 1.6" drop? How's the ride?

I think they claim 1.6" but it is closer to 1.8 or 2 probably. The rear I can't even fit my hand between the tire and the fender, and it does scrape on big bumps. The front is slightly higher, have no issues there other than camber wear on the tires. The ride quality is the same as OEM, but my shocks are blown and need to be replaced, I didn't realize how bad they were until I had already gotten into the installation.

Nice drop, I'm about to do this in about 2 weeks. What spacers did you use? I have the same rims currently and would like them to be as flush as your setup

Thanks! Didn't have to use spacers! They are the VMR V708 18x8.5 35mm wheels. Are you doing the install yourself?

se.farrell
07-31-2014, 09:18 AM
Thanks! Didn't have to use spacers! They are the VMR V708 18x8.5 35mm wheels. Are you doing the install yourself?

Oh alright, I was wondering because I have those wheels but from Audi.

As for the install, I'm not sure. I like to do work myself but after hours of searching I the closest DIY guide I could find, was for coils. It will really boil down to how much it costs and if the shops around me (while in GA) can do it (not many work on audis).

Did you do it yourself? And interesting the front is slightly higher... is the wheel gap or ground to fender?

ApexRex
07-31-2014, 09:45 AM
Oh alright, I was wondering because I have those wheels but from Audi.

As for the install, I'm not sure. I like to do work myself but after hours of searching I the closest DIY guide I could find, was for coils. It will really boil down to how much it costs and if the shops around me (while in GA) can do it (not many work on audis).

Did you do it yourself? And interesting the front is slightly higher... is the wheel gap or ground to fender?

I had found an original set of 19" RS4 wheels with tires for a steal local to me on craigslist, but they were gone I assume because the guy would not call me back. I prefer OEM, but am very happy with these wheels for what I paid.

If you know the wheel width you have and the offset, you can take the dimensions from my wheels (8.5 width and 35mm offset) and plug it into this calculator, and you will see where your wheels are compared to mine, thus what size spacer you would need to get it flush.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

There isn't much difference installing the coilovers except in the front you are reusing the OEM strut. It is a MAJOR pain though, these cars are older and with time the bolts get very unhappy. I ended up sheering the head off of a pinch bolt, and while I tried to fix it and ended up buying a used spindle and control arms, the car was down for 3 weeks. I found out it is not necessary to remove the pinch bolt to get the strut out, with a little finesse you can remove the control arms from the perch and get it out that way, bypassing that god forsaken bolt all together - you just have to be sure to reinstall the control arms properly, or else you will have some nasty preload.

Here is the thread I started, if you haven't seen it:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/598871-Lowering-Springs-DIY

I am modding on a budget, since this is my daily driver and I'm only willing to put so much into it, but this job would easily be worth $500 to me to not have to ever do it again haha so if you can find someone to do it for that or less, I would go that route. It is a major PITA.

The front being higher is in reference to wheel gap, and just the way the H&Rs are made apparently. It's slight - I notice it but most people never would.

SinCityA6
07-31-2014, 02:02 PM
I think they claim 1.6" but it is closer to 1.8 or 2 probably. The rear I can't even fit my hand between the tire and the fender, and it does scrape on big bumps. The front is slightly higher, have no issues there other than camber wear on the tires. The ride quality is the same as OEM, but my shocks are blown and need to be replaced, I didn't realize how bad they were until I had already gotten into the installation.

Mine dropped almost 2 inches form stock after they settled. it is an optical elusion of the front looking higher. The rear wheel wells are cut shallower than the fronts so it looks like it is raked to the rear, but in all reality, if you measure from the ground to the bottom of the frame front and rear, I'd be you are level if not a touch higher in the rear.

Quattrocentric
07-31-2014, 03:36 PM
Mine dropped almost 2 inches form stock after they settled. it is an optical elusion of the front looking higher. The rear wheel wells are cut shallower than the fronts so it looks like it is raked to the rear, but in all reality, if you measure from the ground to the bottom of the frame front and rear, I'd be you are level if not a touch higher in the rear.

Yikes! My wheels are 20x9... If I go the sport spring route, I'll have to get the bump stops as well, it looks like.

SinCityA6
07-31-2014, 04:48 PM
Not necessarily. My stock setup was a non-sport suspension. So, if you have the sport suspension already, your drop will be less. Also, what size tires are you running and what is the offset on the wheel? I am running a 255/35/19 tire on an aggressive 32 offset 19 inch wheel.

Quattrocentric
07-31-2014, 08:56 PM
The offset is 40, and I haven't bought tires yet, but am planning on 265/35s. I don't want to go to a 30 series tire; the car is heavy and I have already bent the 19s on the sedan which has the almost the same set up as you, 19x8.5, 35et on 255/35 tires.
I just replaced one tire which had an impact bubble, and another has appeared on a different tire, FML.

ApexRex
07-31-2014, 08:58 PM
Yeah, it depends on what size sidewall you have. The overall height might not be that much more than an 18" tire with stock size sidewall.

Quattrocentric
07-31-2014, 09:15 PM
Yeah, it depends on what size sidewall you have. The overall height might not be that much more than an 18" tire with stock size sidewall.

That's what I'm hoping for. And I hate stretched tires. I'll do the calculation, but they will be marginally taller, I think.