PDA

View Full Version : DV Relocation: route back into TIP (like stock) or route into turbo outlet hose?

fed0ra
07-22-2014, 09:51 AM
This is not to discuss the merits of DV relocation. I am doing it partially for the potential benefit to response and IATs (since the bypassed air has to pass back through the intercooler) but mostly so I can use my MadMax DV comfortably. The thing is huge and I couldn't get it to comfortably fit into the space for the original DV so I'm relocating it to by the throttle body.

Now, the question that I have is where should I reroute the air to? Should I keep it like stock and run the hose back to the TIP or should I route the hose to where the DV used to sit (thus bypassing the turbo)? Part of me says like stock so that you can keep the compressor spinning between shifts but part of me also thinks moving to after the turbo would further reduce heat soak of the intercooler and allow boost to release faster.

Let me know what you guys think [up].

BaseDrifter
07-22-2014, 10:03 AM
I would say route it back to the TIP for two reasons.

1. Since the TIP sees constant vacuum it will work to "pull" the diverted boost back into the system - pressure differential.

2. I don't think you would see any benefit to your IAT by routing it post-turbo. We're talking about a relatively small amount of air, and only for a brief moment when you shift.

fed0ra
07-22-2014, 10:10 AM
I would say route it back to the TIP for two reasons.

1. Since the TIP sees constant vacuum it will work to "pull" the diverted boost back into the system - pressure differential.

2. I don't think you would see any benefit to your IAT by routing it post-turbo. We're talking about a relatively small amount of air, and only for a brief moment when you shift.

Didn't think about the first one, but that makes sense. I was pretty much settled on routing to the TIP but the idea of routing to the intercooler piping crossed my mind.

SquishyPanda
07-22-2014, 10:35 AM
Wouldn't routing the diverted air to the turbo outlet pipe be effectively the same as having no DV? You'd be trying to push the air into the same pressurized pipe it came from, just further upstream.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the description of your proposed setup.

GrapeBandit
07-22-2014, 10:36 AM
either or will work fine. I would actually prefer the second method, post turbo

MetalMan
07-22-2014, 10:39 AM
I agree with routing back to the TIP.
When the DV actuates, it's charge pipe will be at a somewhat similar pressure to the turbo outlet, therefore the hose going from the compressor outlet to the DV inlet would also be similarly pressurized, no? In this scenario I don't see the DV actually doing anything useful (i.e. it wouldn't be dumping air to a relatively lower pressure region).

When I ran a relocated DV, this is what it looked like:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/4x4pede/Audi%20A4/DV_reloc3.jpg

fed0ra
07-22-2014, 12:07 PM
MetalMan,

Thats my current logic, as well. I didn't really think about the need for the pressure differential at first.

I'm excited to finally relocate it. I ordered some stainless piping and silicone couplers and I'm going to fab up my own custom TB hose (which means I will have an Apikol TB hose with a few hundred miles on it for sale in the near future) this weekend, hopefully so I can have the "nipple" for the DV connection welded on next week and maybe get it ceramic coated for heat protection. And goddamnit do I miss the sound that the MadMax DV makes [:D].

EDIT: I wrote that I would be making my own TIP but I meant TB hose.

A1 A2 German
07-22-2014, 01:47 PM
I have the solution for you.

Cut the 1" i.d. dv silicone/rubber port on the tip in half. Even if you cut 3/4's off (with just enough meat left to tighten a clamp) the dv neck will not protruide into the induction boot's air passage (causing air turbalance). So now, your dv does not shoot up 5" interfering with the fan shroud, headlight, cam gear cover, etc.

fed0ra
07-22-2014, 02:10 PM
I have the solution for you.

Cut the 1" i.d. dv silicone/rubber port on the tip in half. Even if you cut 3/4's off (with just enough meat left to tighten a clamp) the dv neck will not protruide into the induction boot's air passage (causing air turbalance). So now, your dv does not shoot up 5" interfering with the fan shroud, headlight, cam gear cover, etc.

Not sure that will work for me. The DV I have has 1.25" ports instead of 1" ports, so to use the stock location I need to have a hose adapter on each end which makes a very large DV even larger. Even if I could get it to fit, it would be such a pain to work with.

AudiTurbo
07-23-2014, 05:09 AM
I really want to do this, but I don't understand what you are talking about when you say routing it back to the turbo outlet hose. I know stock one side goes in the intercooler piping and the other goes to back to the tip, but what is the other option you are exploring?

fed0ra
07-23-2014, 05:35 AM
I really want to do this, but I don't understand what you are talking about when you say routing it back to the turbo outlet hose. I know stock one side goes in the intercooler piping and the other goes to back to the tip, but what is the other option you are exploring?

I'm referring to the intercooler hose. That hose is on the turbo outlet which is why I referred to it that way.

ray4624
07-23-2014, 06:07 AM
I agree with routing back to the TIP.
When the DV actuates, it's charge pipe will be at a somewhat similar pressure to the turbo outlet, therefore the hose going from the compressor outlet to the DV inlet would also be similarly pressurized, no? In this scenario I don't see the DV actually doing anything useful (i.e. it wouldn't be dumping air to a relatively lower pressure region).

When I ran a relocated DV, this is what it looked like:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/4x4pede/Audi%20A4/DV_reloc3.jpg

Did you make that piece to relocate the dv?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SquishyPanda
07-23-2014, 07:12 AM
I'm referring to the intercooler hose. That hose is on the turbo outlet which is why I referred to it that way.

The pipe to the intercooler is going to be the same pressure as the pipe to the TB. When the DV opens nothing will happen.

fed0ra
07-23-2014, 07:24 AM
The pipe to the intercooler is going to be the same pressure as the pipe to the TB. When the DV opens nothing will happen.

I know, I already figured out that it wouldn't work. He just asked me what hose I was referring to so I clarified.

MetalMan
07-23-2014, 07:26 AM
Did you make that piece to relocate the dv?

Nope, just bought it used. Forge makes it as part of a DV relocation kit for the TT or something like that. It's a 2" pipe with beads rolled on each end, and a 1" nipple with a bead.
I'm no longer using this piece, and it's for sale! (asking $30 shipped) My current intercooler setup (CX Racing piping) has 2.5" cold-side pipes so I can't use this DV relocation tube.

ray4624
07-23-2014, 07:31 AM
I'll take it lol pm me

GrapeBandit
07-23-2014, 08:28 AM
why not just weld the DV to the intercooler like some do with bov's? then route the hose from the dv to the tip? it would look cleaner in the engine bay as opposed to having 2 rubber adapters and 4 clamps pre TB, then you can run a hard pipe straight from the IC to TB

MetalMan
07-23-2014, 08:32 AM
why not just weld the DV to the intercooler like some do with bov's? then route the hose from the dv to the tip? it would look cleaner in the engine bay as opposed to having 2 rubber adapters and 4 clamps pre TB, then you can run a hard pipe straight from the IC to TB

Not all of us are lucky enough to be have access to a welder!

GrapeBandit
07-23-2014, 08:36 AM
Not all of us are lucky enough to be have access to a welder!

it should cost like $30 to get a flange welded to the intercooler. thats probably just a little more than 4 clamps and 2 silicone adapters lol..

ray4624
07-23-2014, 08:43 AM
I'm running a forge bov and use the original 034 silicone hose to the throttle body with much fmic. Now I can relocate the bov there and eliminate some vac line.

fed0ra
07-23-2014, 08:59 AM

This is what I'm doing. My TB hose is being replaced by two silicone couplers (to connect to the TB and to the intercooler) and then a 1.25" connection is going to be welded onto the hard pipe. A welding shop across the street from me is gonna do it, should be really cheap.

Avant Nate
07-23-2014, 10:56 AM
You could buy a silicone T. Its what I use, only mine has the 1" t
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/bov/silicone-bov-t-p-399.html

fed0ra
07-23-2014, 11:55 AM
You could buy a silicone T. Its what I use, only mine has the 1" t
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/bov/silicone-bov-t-p-399.html

Tried that. I hacked up my first Apikol TB hose and it was just a little too big, made it impossible to actually mount the hose back on all the way. I only found one place that sold one in 2"x1.25" and it just didn't fit.

I've already ordered the parts to fab up my new TB pipe and the stuff comes tomorrow. Basically I just wanted to know where to route the outlet to, which was answered. Thanks though!