PDA

View Full Version : Oil in boost line?..

B5Yearold
07-22-2014, 09:44 AM
Hey guys, I posted a thread earlier in the week about a possible boost leak problem. Finally got a day off to check it out and found that my smic was wiggling and I secured it and realized the line from the turbo to the bottom of the intercooler was a little loose and off. Went to take it off and re install it and get new clamps and there was a decent amount of fresh oil in the hose? I immediately put it back on because I wasn't familiar with this symptom. Is this extremely bad? I read that some oil is okay. But not sure.. Any input would be great. Thanks!

fR3ZNO
07-22-2014, 10:17 AM
Usually a tablespoon or two of oil is okay. What do you mean by "fresh"? The oil that you find in there is usually a darker color.

But, oil in your intercooler is a normal occurrence for boosted vehicles.

B5Yearold
07-22-2014, 10:47 AM
Usually a tablespoon or two of oil is okay. What do you mean by "fresh"? The oil that you find in there is usually a darker color.

But, oil in your intercooler is a normal occurrence for boosted vehicles.

Yes it is darker but I did just do an oil change recently so. I would say one or two tablespoons of oil.. Going into the intercooler. So is this normal? Should I continue with my fiddling or should I cry and save up for a new turbo is my real question haha

OverSpun
07-22-2014, 11:03 AM
How much do you qualify a "Decent" amount of fluid? If it's a quart, you have a problem. It is normal having oil in your intercooler (hoses too). Wait until your turbo doesn't boost anymore or if your car is blowing smoke from the turbo.

Man, thats a lot work to pull your bumper and whatnot to test to see how much oil is in the SMIC. I wouldn't bother with it.

B5Yearold
07-22-2014, 11:16 AM
How much do you qualify a "Decent" amount of fluid? If it's a quart, you have a problem. It is normal having oil in your intercooler (hoses too). Wait until your turbo doesn't boost anymore or if your car is blowing smoke from the turbo.

Man, thats a lot work to pull your bumper and whatnot to test to see how much oil is in the SMIC. I wouldn't bother with it.

Already got this answer. Don't need to be smart with me

walky_talky20
07-22-2014, 11:27 AM
Don't continue fiddling. What you have there is perfectly normal.

In fact, I would be worried if you *didn't* have 2+ tablespoons of oil in that hose. Then you got problems.

B5Yearold
07-22-2014, 01:21 PM
Don't continue fiddling. What you have there is perfectly normal.

In fact, I would be worried if you *didn't* have 2+ tablespoons of oil in that hose. Then you got problems.

Extremely relieved to hear. Anyone have an explanation as to why the oil is in the hoses? Just curious I never thought that should happen. Now that I know I'll tighten the hose and secure the smic and hopefully the leak will be fixed

walky_talky20
07-22-2014, 01:59 PM
Some seeps out through the turbo "seals". The majority comes from the PCV breather pipe that connects directly to the turbo inlet. The gentle suction of the turbo is used to evacuate crankcase vapors during on-boost conditions. So it is actively sucking blow-by into the turbo. The oily vapors tend to collect at the turbo outlet in a little puddle of sorts.

fR3ZNO
07-23-2014, 10:23 AM
Some seeps out through the turbo "seals". The majority comes from the PCV breather pipe that connects directly to the turbo inlet. The gentle suction of the turbo is used to evacuate crankcase vapors during on-boost conditions. So it is actively sucking blow-by into the turbo. The oily vapors tend to collect at the turbo outlet in a little puddle of sorts.

Walky, as usual, so full of knowledge.

I feel enlightened after reading your posts.

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t492/Heartless_Lyn/the-more-you-know-o_zps8dd6cbdc.gif

OverSpun
07-24-2014, 12:10 AM
Already got this answer. Don't need to be smart with me

[:p] It was some humor to make you feel better since you don't have to worry about it since you seemed concerned. I have seen oil in the intercooler in all of my past and current Audis.

Given that I haven't seen your past thread; if this is your first Audi: The factory clamps are terrible and also a huge PITA when you have to work on the car. i.e... replacing all the check valves. I dremel them off and upgrade them.

B5Yearold
07-24-2014, 08:11 PM
Thanks all. Think the hose might be cracked. Can't seem to get it to stop dripping oil over night. Any cheap hoses out there?

OverSpun
07-26-2014, 01:47 PM
Thanks all. Think the hose might be cracked. Can't seem to get it to stop dripping oil over night. Any cheap hoses out there?

Which hose? A clamp could be loose or the cross-over pipe could be cracked or the intercooler's lower inlet? A lot of my factory clamps were loose when I removed the factory intercooler and hoses when I installed the FMIC.

B5Yearold
07-26-2014, 01:48 PM
Which hose? A clamp could be loose or the cross-over pipe could be cracked or the intercooler's lower inlet? A lot of my factory clamps were loose when I removed the factory intercooler and hoses when I installed the FMIC.

Inlet on the intercooler

OverSpun
07-26-2014, 02:18 PM
Inlet on the intercooler

Yea, i suppose there could be a hole in it or a crack in the plastic inlet.

B5Yearold
07-26-2014, 02:19 PM
Yea, i suppose there could be a hole in it or a crack in the plastic inlet.

Should I replace that hose? Or should I do all the hoses. Cheap hose kits are 60 bucks but on ecs the specific hose I need is 60 bucks. What would you rather? Haha