PDA

View Full Version : Boost guage or Torque app???

russianaudilove
07-17-2014, 10:19 PM
Hey guys got a few questions that need be answered.
I bought an OBDLink adapter and the torpue app from google play. My buddy suggested it because its cheap and shows you what's going on in the engine. Since it was so cheap I decided to give it a go. When I got it running I noticed that the boost levels were abnormally high. I got my car tuned by revo to stg.2 which they said they didnt know what exact boost it should be running. So when I got my boost guage installed it read spikes from 21 down to 13 and flickered around all the time so I couldn't tell if the app was off or not. Just recently I installed a mbc and reinstalled the boost guage line to a better vac source (had it at the fpr before). I turned the boost up, got rid of the crappy n75 and wow it litterally spools to full boost in less than a second. And now its at a perfect 16 to 17 lbs. depending on what gear and it holds boost really well until redline. Im using the app to monitor fuel pressure and make sure I dont run too lean, but now the guage is showing perfectly and the tourque app is reading about 7lbs. higher at wot. Is this because ecu is telling it thats how much its running or is there something wrong with the guage? I know people who use this app and it works really well with passats at least, I'm wondering if any of you are using it and if its right.

russianaudilove
07-18-2014, 04:27 PM
Does anybody even know about the torque app??

Davdraco1
07-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Never heard of it....

fed0ra
07-18-2014, 04:53 PM
Torque doesn't read boost accurately (I use it for logging some stuff and boost is never accurate, it always differs from vagcom and the boost gauge) . Get a boost gauge.

RallyeBourne
07-18-2014, 05:19 PM
Torque app reads off the ecu. If you have an MBC bypassing the n75, how do you expect it to know the actual boost pressure?

fed0ra
07-18-2014, 06:37 PM
If we assume he has a 2000 or 2001 then he has a map sensor which reads boost.

alexvanlewen
07-18-2014, 07:31 PM
Does anybody even know about the torque app??

I do love it. Use it everyday.

gatorfan626
07-19-2014, 04:53 AM
If the boost gauge is from a reputable source and is hooked up right, I would go off of that. When my car was on the stock tune, I logged boost with the torque app and it would read up to 15-16PSI in 1st gear. lol.

russianaudilove
07-19-2014, 08:28 AM
Yea sorry forgot to mention, I have an 01 with a properly installed boost guage, but why is the map sensor reading 7 lbs. more than the boost guage hooked up to the mani?
Also, for those who use it, how correct is the measured air fuel pressure, I get roughly 14.7 at idle and normal driving, but at wot I run a bit richer at around 11.7 to 12

fed0ra
07-19-2014, 09:13 AM
Yea sorry forgot to mention, I have an 01 with a properly installed boost guage, but why is the map sensor reading 7 lbs. more than the boost guage hooked up to the mani?
Also, for those who use it, how correct is the measured air fuel pressure, I get roughly 14.7 at idle and normal driving, but at wot I run a bit richer at around 11.7 to 12

12ish is where a turbo car makes the most power while avoiding detonation. That's the afr you want at wot, where 14.7 is stoich which provides the cleanest burn (ie best emissions) but is too lean for high boost.

The MAP sensor reads fine in vagcom but for some reason it's way off with torque. I think it interprets the readings and fails. For instance our map sensors can't read vacuum, only pressure, so the lowest value we should see is atmospheric pressure, usually 1 bar, but torque reads an incorrect vacuum. I think it's basically trying to scale the values or something, so I just never use it for boost. It appears to be accurate for everything else, though.

russianaudilove
07-19-2014, 12:22 PM
12ish is where a turbo car makes the most power while avoiding detonation. That's the afr you want at wot, where 14.7 is stoich which provides the cleanest burn (ie best emissions) but is too lean for high boost.

The MAP sensor reads fine in vagcom but for some reason it's way off with torque. I think it interprets the readings and fails. For instance our map sensors can't read vacuum, only pressure, so the lowest value we should see is atmospheric pressure, usually 1 bar, but torque reads an incorrect vacuum. I think it's basically trying to scale the values or something, so I just never use it for boost. It appears to be accurate for everything else, though.

Alright thanks so much for your help, and yea I learned that you have to set up and completely your cars profile so that it would calculate and get a better boost reading

alexvanlewen
07-19-2014, 01:21 PM
What are the right settings