PDA

View Full Version : My New Double Din

OldAudiA4
07-17-2014, 03:31 AM
http://i.imgur.com/xulbudx.jpg

Took me a couple of days including replacing the front and rear speakers. I am pleased with the result. The DIY writeup in this forum was a great help as well as this writeup for removing the centre console http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int3.shtml

My cars rear seats don't fold down (from Googling I found out that this was an option on the Audi's), so to remove the rear shelf, you have to pop the 3 pins/clips between the rear seats and the shelf. A good shove is needed at this point to pop them out.

Thanks to Metal Man for his advice regarding using a Multimeter when I couldn't get the head unit to turn on. Seems like the stock Audi harness was wired a bit different to conventional (and this shows as my stock Audi head unit always had power - regardless of the position of the key).

Also thanks to Rol for selling me the double din conversion parts.

bhusted
07-17-2014, 07:42 AM
Looks good. No folding seats, but dual cup holders? Also looks like you have S4 seats. With right hand drive, is the transmission pattern still the same as left hand drive cars ie: 1st is forward and left?

RoadRage
07-17-2014, 09:44 AM
Is that a retractable cord in your phone charger? Where did you find that? I want one.

OldAudiA4
07-17-2014, 03:45 PM
Looks good. No folding seats, but dual cup holders? Also looks like you have S4 seats. With right hand drive, is the transmission pattern still the same as left hand drive cars ie: 1st is forward and left?

Yeah, rear seats don't fold but in the middle there is the foldable storage compartment. The dual cup holders in the front were part of the double din upgrade, prior to that I had the big fat pre-facelift buttons there. And yes 1st is forward and left.

OldAudiA4
07-17-2014, 03:46 PM
Is that a retractable cord in your phone charger? Where did you find that? I want one.

It's a phone charger plugged into the cigarette lighter. And yes it does have a retractable cord, was only a few dollars from eBay.

bhusted
07-17-2014, 05:36 PM
Yeah, rear seats don't fold but in the middle there is the foldable storage compartment. The dual cup holders in the front were part of the double din upgrade, prior to that I had the big fat pre-facelift buttons there. And yes 1st is forward and left.

I'm sure that probably feels natural to you, but it seems like it would be so confusing to me.

OldAudiA4
07-17-2014, 05:41 PM
I'm sure that probably feels natural to you, but it seems like it would be so confusing to me.

Yeah perfectly natural to me. I couldn't imagine driving a left hand drive vehicle.