PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Buying 2007 S6 - Input?

Rex32
07-13-2014, 09:21 PM
Hello All,

Been a long time since I've posted here, haven't been in the Audi world much recently - but that is poised to change.

I'm looking at a job that is about 45 minutes from my house in Minneapolis - so a solid 7 months of frozen, snow covered, salt laden, crappy roads. I was thinking of leasing a new S4, it was absolutely amazing on the test drive, but I have two hold ups on going that route.

1) This purchase is going to happen by September 1st. It will probably start snowing in October and from then it is just a deep freeze of no fun, salt, and snow - all of which is likely to damage the car to some degree and I live in an area with narrow roads and the odds of someone sliding into me or just something happening is relatively high [headbang][headbang]

2) I have a 60lb dog - http://www.instagram.com/banditmpls you know you want to see how cute he is! He is bound to tear up the car, but worse in the winter! The seats in the one I looked at are already pretty worn out so a few claw marks here and there aren't going to send me to tears.

I found a 2007 S6 with 120k miles on it that they want $15,000 for - seems $13,500 would be more accurate but I can deal with that later. I need this vehicle to be reliable and get me to my job and home, I love how the car drove and the V10 is incredible - transmission/shifts not so much but the good with the bad! - regardless I'm trying to find information on the long term reliability of this vehicle. My parents had a 97 A4 2.8 that we kept until 2011 and had 300K plus miles and never had any serious problems, but that isn't exactly a highly tuned V10 and high performance car. I'm fully capable of preforming maintenance or minor repairs - brake pads, oil, etc - but I won't be rebuilding a tranny in the parking garage!

Does anyone have any insight on the long term performance/reliability of the 2007 S6? I haven't found much negative info aside from some carbon building up type issues but I haven't found any catastrophic failures, yet.

I would also considering keeping this car and leasing an S4 come Summer and use this as the Winter car. I know the A6 is probably more reliable but I really like the engine and overall feel of the S6.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rex

millerchris85
07-13-2014, 09:37 PM
My limited exposure was one owner of a V10 S6.

He really enjoyed it, and the performance/sound was good, but the repair bills were awful. And the depreciation was terrible such that he took a huge bath on it upon selling. It's one of few Audi's with a water-cooled alternator; that's one of the nasty repair bills he experienced.

IMHO, I own two Audi's, and neither of them is entirely worry-free; that said, they have a 2.7T and a 4.2, meaning that there's vast amounts of parts and information available for them.

I would suggest a more common car, unless you are willing to take the good (V10!!!) with the bad ($$$ to fix). I window shop Audi's regularly, and the V10 S6/S8 do not seem to move/sell. MPG's are not likely to thrill you either.

If I could enjoy a V10 Audi for a month I would. Long haul, I'm not so sure.

Good luck with your decision [:)]

ApexRex
07-13-2014, 10:31 PM
Rex,

Read this thread:

Things you probably want to get looked at when you buy a used 2008 S6 (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/558419-Things-you-probably-want-to-get-looked-at-when-you-buy-a-used-2008-S6)

Apart from the potential for huge repair bills creating the necessity for a warranty, the only downside I could see is the gas mileage. Being high mileage and in a harsher climate, you will have things wear out so I wouldn't even consider it without buying a warranty, which at that price, is it worth it? I do as much of my own work as I can (I don't have a lift), and my 4.2 has pushed me to my limits. Everything is harder on this car - compared to my previous 350z and STi, which were almost engineered to be modified/owner maintained, I don't think Audi had any of that in mind with these cars. So many things are inaccessible with the motor in the car, it would be impossible to complete many usually simple repairs in a timely manner. As your only car, you're gambling with downtime without a warranty - one way or another you will end up paying. I bet it would be a blast to drive though, and that sound is godly. If you have the patience and cash for a warranty, there are plenty of people here that love them. There are plenty that have sold them for a 3.0T A6/S4 too though...

IrishCreamPuff
07-14-2014, 05:33 PM
an S6 for $15k? holy shit stay away!!!! There's a reason it's that cheap. When you get it, it'll probably have about $15k worth of work needed... at least look into a warranty from fidelity but please avoid.

sun_dance
07-14-2014, 06:01 PM
Will Fidelety or anyone even offer a warranty for a car with more than 120k miles on it? If they do I'd expect their to be a hefty premium

v8a6
07-14-2014, 08:54 PM
I recently purchased an 07 S6 with 130k miles myself.

I am put together an S6 Info thread on Audi Revolution to list all the FACTS about these cars (good and bad)

http://*******************/forum/index.php?topic=2614.0

I have high performance plans for my car, and a hefty budget for the project, so for me the car made sense. As others have mentioned, if you buy an S6 out of warranty you will need some money set aside for repairs and a good relationship with a shop that will work on the car for reasonable prices.

Good Luck!

AnimalVZ9
07-17-2014, 09:00 AM
I own an S6 that I bought w 30k miles. I'm now at 43k miles. In the last yr, I've spent $3k on a warranty and $1500 on a carbon cleaning that wasn't covered. The warranty has covered almost $9000 in repairs since I bought the car. I bought the car August 2013. Said another way, I'd be at $10k+ in 12 months if I had no warranty, and I bought it from a meticulous car enthusiast, SoCal resident, older public company exec. I can't imagine what this car with 100k+ miles would have in store from a repair standpoint.

I would avoid that situation x 1000000. Cold winter, high maintenance car, very high mileage, etc., etc. its not a fit for you. Buy a simpler A4, throw a chip in it, mod it simply, but the S6 is not going to serve its purpose as a reliable, affordable daily driver. This is coming from a fellow 07 S6 owner.

v8a6
07-17-2014, 09:49 AM
From what I am seeing, most of the things that go wrong on these cars at 30k, are the same things that potentially can go wrong at 130k. That is, most of the failed components, or those needing maintenance, are due to lack of carbon cleaning.

Animal, how much did you pay for your car? Take that value, add the $1500 for carbon cleaning, and the $3k for warranty, add the tax that you paid on the car at purchase, add the deductible on any warranty claims, and that is what you have spent on the car to date.

Now, minus $13,500 plus tax from that value. The difference is the amount OP has to spend on fixing the car to make you guys even.

While, I would not have purchased one of these cars at $40k, at the low teens they start to make sense if you are ready to fix all the potential issues with them. Ill have a full writeup on my experience with a high mileage S6 within a few months.

AnimalVZ9
07-18-2014, 12:36 PM
Well being that finance is my profession, I can tell you that I'll happily do your math, and 6-9 months from now be so far ahead based on this calculation that the original OP will regret not listening to those of us on here who have experience with the very car your inquiring about.

I paid $27k for the car, plus $1.5k for cleaning, $3k for warranty, and $1.5k for taxes, $500 for 2 warranty claims. That's $33,500 total.
So based on your math, and using a simple 5% sales tax to account for a random average #, that is $14,175.

So the difference is $19,325....
According to you, that's what they need to spend to be even...

Obviously, I hope this goes without saying, that couldn't be further from the truth... This is because I own an 07 S6 w 43k miles... So really the calculation is based on the fact that in x amount of time, when my car is at 130k miles its apparently worth $13,500.... so subtract that from the $19,325 and the OP has to actually spend $5,825 more than me on maintenance to come out behind

Considering these jobs were just done for me, I will happily, any day, and every day take a car with 90k less miles and take my chances on coming out ahead.
What also makes me a lock is the fact that for the next 30k miles and 29 months I only spend $250 per incident. OP w 130k miles will get to $6k in repairs real, real quickly

v8a6
07-18-2014, 02:00 PM
I don't understand the math you are using behind everything that you wrote, and the from the stuff I do, I dont necessarily agree with all of it.

I will concede that it is not as simple to work out as I originally implied. At the same time, there are other items not addressed, like being overcharged for work done under a warranty program. In other words, what the garage may have billed the warranty company $20,000 for, you could possibly get the same work done for $10,000 if you had the work done paying cash. These are not actual numbers, just used as an example.

Regardless, I'll admit that buying the higher mileage car has the potential for more to go wrong with it. I would be interested in seeing the list of items that you had repaired so that I can add it to an S6 Info thread that I am putting together on another forum. Please provide the list, if you have the time and I will add your experience to the S6 Info thread.

Considering everything we discussed, I personally would still rather have the higher mileage car with $20k in the bank for repairs/upgrades, then the lower mileage one with a warranty. But, I like to upgrade to performance parts as I fix things, and that is not what a warranty is for, so Ill admit I am biased.

Good Luck OP! They are great cars if you have the cash and are prepared to maintain them :)

AnimalVZ9
07-21-2014, 04:37 PM
To simplify my math for you...

cost of purchase of lower mileage car + taxes + warranty = cost of purchase of higher mileage car + taxes + (difference)...
(difference) equates to how much many you have in the bank for so-called repairs.

of course, the last point I was trying to make is the end value of the 2 cars isnt $0... so the lower mileage will be worth x amount more, so really (difference) works at first - in your case the $20k, but the major difference is when I go to sell the car I may make $10-12k more than you.... so said another way that $6-8k difference "in the bank" isn't worth it to me

Call me conservative but I prefer peace of mind

v8a6
07-21-2014, 04:47 PM
OK, I see what you are getting at and partially agree. However, it is much more complicated than that. For example, the higher mileage car will depreciate a lot less than the lower one over time. So, if you start factoring resale into the equation, then you have to calculate it over a certain period of time (e.g. five years of ownership). A couple years in, your warranty runs out and you are in the same boat as the higher mileage car, essentially.

Regardless, you are correct that I over-simplified things and what is right for one person may not be any good for the next. I prefer to buy a car with the plan to replace all the parts with high performance parts. I actually plan to spend about $15 to 20k on the car before I even get any real time in it. So, I definitely have different goals than most. Most aftermarket warranties will instantly void your warranty if you install even a single high performance part. So right off the bat, the car with warranty doesnt work for me. At the same time, it probably does make sense for people who have different goals for their car (i.e. keeping it stock)

I would still be interested in your breakdown of repairs, if you don't mind. I am trying to gather as much info on these cars as possible, and would like to add your experience to the S6 Info Dump that I manage.

Cheers!

Fourplay
07-21-2014, 06:21 PM
I have high performance plans for my car, and a hefty budget for the project, so for me the car made sense. As others have mentioned, if you buy an S6 out of warranty you will need some money set aside for repairs and a good relationship with a shop that will work on the car for reasonable prices.

Custom supercharger? Because the C6 S6 has absolutely zero aftermarket at present. Looked into one a few years back when they first started getting cheap, good friend owned one for about 8 months. Too many issues for my liking. There was a time when I didn't mind doing all the wrenching on my cars, but I don't have time or desire to do that anymore (job, relationship, etc.). That alone makes owning one of these quite a daunting task. Add to that the fact that they really are not very quick at all, guzzle gas, etc. and it's just not a great value proposition.

I'm sure you can buy one of these really cheap ones and have a big maintenance budget, but it's not known as an exceedingly reliable car (hence the values of the car plummeting like a rock when the warranties ran out). Definitely a cool car in about 5-10 years when they really, really bottom out ($6-7k) and who knows, maybe there will be some sort of aftermarket by then (doubtful since it's already pushing 7 years old and there's nothing, but still).

OP, you're way, way better off the with facelifted C6 with the 3.0T. More power with just a tune, more reliable, better mileage.

v8a6
07-21-2014, 06:28 PM
Custom supercharger? Because the C6 S6 has absolutely zero aftermarket at present.

I wouldn't say zero aftermarket, but you are right there isnt much publicly available at the moment. The goal of the project is to change that, while addressing many of the platforms shortcomings. Ill be posting a build thread on AudiRevolution with more details in a couple months as things progress.

OP, you're way, way better off the with facelifted C6 with the 3.0T. More power with just a tune, more reliable, better mileage.

If you are focusing on easy power, reliability, and gas mileage, then you are correct. However, there are many features that the S6 has that the A6 doesnt. The S6 seats alone are a reason to buy the car over the A6, IMHO. Check out my S6 Info thread for more details.

Audi C6 S6 v10 Info Dump (http://*******************/forum/index.php?topic=2614.0)

Fourplay
07-21-2014, 06:34 PM
I wouldn't say zero aftermarket, but you are right there isnt much publicly available at the moment. The goal of the project is to change that, while addressing many of the platforms shortcomings. Ill be posting a build thread on AudiRevolution with more details in a couple months as things progress.

If you are focusing on easy power, reliability, and gas mileage, then you are correct. However, there are many features that the S6 has that the A6 doesnt. The S6 seats alone are a reason to buy the car over the A6, IMHO. Check out my S6 Info thread for more details.

Audi C6 S6 v10 Info Dump (http://*******************/forum/index.php?topic=2614.0)

Edited my post a bit before I saw you replied. For OPs purposes, the A6 3.0T is definitely the way to go. For a 45 minute commute in harsh winter, I'd want something that was comfortable, reliable, and got relatively good mileage. There's also a huge aftermarket for that engine.

Like I said in my edited post, the S6 is definitely a cool car and will definitely be a cool project car in a few years once it bottoms out in price. But as a DD, I can't think of many worse cars really (B6/7 S4 is just about as bad). Unreliable, bad gas mileage, etc. Definitely interested to see what you do with it - all it takes is a handful of committed people to really get an aftermarket going for a car, especially a rare, sports-oriented one with a big following like Audi.

v8a6
07-21-2014, 06:44 PM
Thanks - it should be quite an interesting project. Ill post a link to the project thread once we get a bit deeper into things.