PDA

View Full Version : Tiptronic shifting

toononame
07-10-2014, 06:53 PM
Alright this may be a bit pedantic, I admit, but I figured I might as well ask:

The way this car shifts is a bit strange and I'm trying to figure out if it's normal. When shifting, it seems to cut out the throttle entirely and shift to the next gear, then let the throttle come back in. All this instead of just letting the synchros handle the smooth transition to the next gear. The result of this is really jerky acceleration since the throttle seems to cut out for the entirety of the shift. It isn't noticeable at low RPMs or very high RPMs, but under medium acceleration it's pretty strange feeling.

For what it's worth, I don't notice it as much in the manual shifting mode. Could just be the RPM I shift at though.

Anyone else?

yas
07-10-2014, 11:05 PM
You didn't tell us which model/year you're referring to, which makes it a bit hard. Assuming your profile is correct, 2012 could be either tiptropic or DSG depending on when you bought/where you live.

On a DSG, AFAIK, the transition should be so fast that no loss of power should be perceptible.

toononame
07-11-2014, 09:36 AM
Er, it's the tiptronic. I put it in the title :P I thought the V8 in the s5 only had the tiptronic, my bad.

toononame
09-15-2014, 09:09 PM
Had a random conversation with a coworker today who said he diagnosed the exact same issue on an RS4. I forget the specifics exactly, but the root cause was basically that the spark plugs may be going out. Apparently, the ECU tries to be clever and monitors the delay between each spark plug going off, and if it detects a gap it adjusts the timing (~20 degrees, I think?) because it thinks it was a misfire. The slight delay/lag/whatever between gear shifts I'm feeling may be that.

I'll try to change out the plugs to see if it helps and report back.

toononame
09-21-2014, 12:20 AM
I feel like I'm talking to myself, but perhaps it will help someone else. In the end it didn't help :] Learned it was a bit of a bitch to get all the plugs changed in this motor, though.

I think I'm back to the transmission. It only happens between 2000-4000 RPM and only when I'm not using the paddle shifters. Using the paddles the shifts are much quicker and smoother at any RPM. Hoping it's just a quirk of this transmission and not a bigger problem, but trying to figure it out before my warranty runs out.

Apparatus
09-21-2014, 05:03 AM
Im reading because I've noticed the same thing in my car. I would guess it's either normal or the tranny.