PDA

View Full Version : KW or H&R

Apparatus
07-09-2014, 07:27 PM
So i am getting some new wheels. nothing fancy. I just wanted a change of shoes. I'm looking for a slight performance up grade and to lower my card. My S5 is not a track car it's my everyday car. I am curious what is the best bang for the buck. I was eying the H&R street performance coilovers and i was curios if they were any good. also i was looking at the cheaper bilsteins and KW's. I guess i''m looking for suggestions and why.

ExhaustNote
07-09-2014, 08:37 PM
When I had my old S5, I had KW V3's and the whole time i had them, I only adjusted the settings once. It was the first time that I got them that I changed the settings and then never touched them again. The entire time I had them, I questioned myself as to why I spent so much money on coilovers when I wasn't even messing around with the different dampening adjustments. I seriously thought it was a waste of money. So when I got my RS5, I decided to go with the cheaper H&R coilovers, thinking that I would be absolutely fine with them. Boy was I wrong. These don't even compare to the KW's I had on my S5...in fact, my S5 seriously out handled my RS5 and I'm actually in the process of going back to the KW's with the KW DDC coilovers. I can't wait to get them as I'm really unhappy with the H&Rs.
My suggestion to you is to go with quality coilovers....even though they may be expensive, they are the backbone of your car's handling and is something that you will appreciate every time you drive your car. Don't make the mistake I did.

johnwpowell
07-10-2014, 04:30 AM
Im also considering the 2. KW are more expensive but stainless parts which may stand up better in harsh weather areas. You could also check out ST. I'm leaning towards the KW myself.

JamesRS5
07-10-2014, 06:00 AM
I would highly recommend the KW DDC or Bilstein iRC coilovers, these are streets ahead of H&R when it comes to quality of damping, both kits are electrically adjustable from inside the car and both kits contain an accelerometer which will automatically adjust the damping as you build g-force in corners and during acceleration and braking.

I've spent thousands on suspension over the years, the iRC kit is by far the best I've used both for quality of ride and the ability of the dampers to auto adjust on the move is just incredible. You don't notice the suspension firm up during cornering, the car just remains flat, then as soon as the g-force unloads the damping returns to a nice comfortable rate.

My friend has the KW DDC kit on his Golf R and shares the same opinion of his kit.

http://revision3.com/tekzillabites/bilstein-ridecontrol

http://youtu.be/HLXJPj2zrvk

chris@fifteen52
07-10-2014, 06:01 AM
PM sent about KW and ST's

sirmium
07-10-2014, 07:42 AM
talk to @mops@nemesis , i'm sure he will hook you up with good deal, plus he runs H&R on his car, i'm sure he can speak from first hand experience

Apparatus
07-11-2014, 04:01 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up going with the ST coils from fifteen52. Great price and KW quality if anyone is curious I will let you know how they ride.

johnwpowell
07-12-2014, 03:43 AM
I ended up going with the KW Variant 1.

Apparatus
07-12-2014, 05:25 AM
How do you like KW V1's?