PDA

View Full Version : Steps to toughening up a Front Track transmission, what say you?

A1 A2 German
07-09-2014, 02:40 PM
I've come to the conclusion it's a dumb move to bolt up an oem FT trans onto my big build. So what measures shall I take?

I have the one for the build sitting on the bench ready to be pulled apart if needed but otherwise perfect.
I was considering pulling out the guts and having them cryogenically hardened. Or, shall I x?

I understand everything is the world could be done for an endless amount of cash, but I'm talking with in reason, I don't know.....$500-600 (me doing the labor, pulling/installing). The will be a street car, AC, full interior, not sure I'd want the whine of straight cut.....I want to enjoy the driving experience and not hear wiiiiiiiinnnnnennenennenen, wineieneienieneiennenenenne, wineneineieinenenennenenenne,.....now shifting into 4th.....winnieineeineneneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

walky_talky20
07-09-2014, 03:13 PM
I don't think you will have enough traction to break anything, will you?

First mod should be an LSD.

A1 A2 German
07-09-2014, 03:39 PM
Should have covered I'm looking into an LSD.

Gaberossi
07-10-2014, 09:44 AM
The only reason I broke my 5 speed FT was because I launch my car with slicks and bounce off the rev limiter to stay in boost. This massive amount of power coming in and out while the revs were bouncing as well as 200K miles and 30+passes at the drag strip is what made my gears tired. I am now running a Stock FT Trans and im looking into an LSD. I bang 3rd-4th-5th gear pretty hard on the street and they are holding up as far as I can tell. I would stay away from Dogbox gears if you are driving this car on the street often.