PDA

View Full Version : Need help car overheats after being turned off

Cbotello
07-07-2014, 12:39 PM
This problem started not to long ago my car will get really hot after being ran and the turned off when I go to turn it back on say about 15min later the needle will be way high.. Any help?

MetalMan
07-07-2014, 01:16 PM
If you were to turn the engine back on when "the needle [is] way high", will it drop back down to normal?

If so, this is normal. Heat rises, and the coolant temp sensor is one of the higher points in the cooling system. When coolant stops circulating (engine off) residual heat from the engine further heats up the coolant, and that heat makes its way upwards.

Mad Cow
07-07-2014, 01:36 PM
If you were to turn the engine back on when "the needle [is] way high", will it drop back down to normal?

If so, this is normal. Heat rises, and the coolant temp sensor is one of the higher points in the cooling system. When coolant stops circulating (engine off) residual heat from the engine further heats up the coolant, and that heat makes its way upwards.

Yup, the only reason you notice is because our temperature gauges are more precise than most cars.

Cbotello
07-07-2014, 03:19 PM
Ok thanks I was just a little worried cause it just started it wasn't always like that

MetalMan
07-07-2014, 03:42 PM
Has it been warming up where you live? Warmer weather can certainly intensify this behavior, as can shutting off the engine shortly after driving hard.

seanf86
07-07-2014, 04:53 PM
This problem started not to long ago my car will get really hot after being ran and the turned off when I go to turn it back on say about 15min later the needle will be way high.. Any help?

its a physics thing with latent head and heat transfer.

do you have a 2.8? I notice our 2.8 after shutting off in hot weather especially after driving it hard with the a/c on 15 min later the guage is about 2/3 the way up, starting the car and driving for about 30 seconds levels the guage back at 12 o clock. I know the later 2.8s got the afterrun coolant pump, probably to fix this problem.

Cbotello
07-07-2014, 06:54 PM
I have a 1.8

Corrado_Guy
07-07-2014, 07:13 PM
I have a 1.8T and I removed the clutch fan and run an electric fan with a rad probe type sensor and when my first one failed it used to spike a lot more when the car was turned off. With the electric fan and constant power to the relay I find mine goes up very little even when it is baking outside. Just make sure your clutch fan is working properly and if you are using AC then make sure the electric fan is turning on.