PDA

View Full Version : Denver area Dyno Day?

Subsonic
07-03-2014, 09:24 PM
I forgot about these until they were mentioned in the S4 forum in the REVO Stage 1+ thread (currently last post by JBurer). Have these been held here in the past for Audi or German cars? Even though I'm basically stock except for the intake I'd like to get a baseline reading even though I'm probably not looking to tune for at least another year, maybe two and would then get another baseline for comparison and to be up-to-date.

I don't know many people who are in to cars much less know anyone at the local shops with dynos. I have had it on my mind to take a trip to Boost Creep on recommendation from one guy who has raced Subies that I know. Someone else local posted some dyno results from them a few months ago but I forget the username.

How hard would this be to get a shop to agree to? Is there enough interest to make it worth their while? I found one thread from last July where it was done so there's hope [wrench] (although it sounds like the corrected numbers were interesting)

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/545322-All-Audi-Dyno-Day-June-22nd

I wouldn't mind contacting shops but since I'm nobody I thought there might be some people who are better connected. I'm also not that educated on tuning, logging, what to look for, etc. admittedly I'm a bit of a newbie once you start getting much beyond surface deep. So, if they started asking questions about what would be wanted, I would need a list. In other words, while willing, I recognize that I am probably not the best person to try and organize this but I'd be willing to help however I could.

seal66
07-03-2014, 09:44 PM
Bluewater does every year, cars performance, heard of boost creep..... All I know

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

100Daily
07-04-2014, 06:00 AM
Somewhat off topic but 3Zero3 did this whole produced video about dyno'ing a B8 S4 on their facebook page. They were dyno'ing a stage 1+ revo tune. They claimed 370awhp and ~450hp at the crank. Then at the end of the video it said "On 91 octane, at 5280ft!" Wow! But hold on a second...

I had them clarify if they were quoting corrected or uncorrected dyno numbers. Turns out it they were corrected! How much we will never know. I always find it potentially misleading to begin with how shops pick how much correction is needed. But 3zero3 took the misleading even further by saying "at 5280ft". If you are artificially correcting the numbers to sea level, DON'T brag about how that is the performance at 5280ft! So misleading... I brought this up and they glossed over the huge misleading statement they put in bold letters.

My point in all of this is knowing how the shop arrived at their "result" is often more important than the result itself. Some of these shops are always trying to hype up how much power you make, to give you that warm and fuzzy feeling, buts it's not reality. If anything I would ask for uncorrected numbers. Who cares how much power "in theory" you would have in another state. I personally only care about how much I am actually making, here in Colorado. Definitely take what shops like 3z3 give you with a giant grain of salt.

seal66
07-04-2014, 06:29 AM
BW always gives me uncorrected numbers. You have to ask for corrected, since there are a few different types as well. As for how much correction they always use the same