PDA

View Full Version : how is the front wheel drive on the a3?

notbeal
08-18-2005, 01:57 PM
I've driven gti's and the torque steer on them was AWFUL. The thing could not handle for it's life. the tires chirped every damn turn you took. I was wondering how bad it is on the a3. I was going to hold out for a manual quattro, but that wont be out for a while. if the fwd isnt too bad ill consider the a3. tell me what you think. thanks

A3corn
08-18-2005, 05:39 PM
It seems that from what I've been reading, everyone likes the way the FWD handles on the A3's. Me on the other hand, I've noticed the "chirping" from the tires when I accelerate into a turn, especially the one that I turn out of everyday to get onto the main road. I previously had an R32 and had never had that happen to me no matter how hard I accelerated (obviously b/c the AWD). That's just my opinion. Anyway, that's the one thing I was disappointed with after buying the car but it's a lot of fun to drive and has a lot "get up and go." It's okay, as long as it's good to me for another year or so I'll be happy, then I'll trade it in for the next gen R32.

J-roc
08-19-2005, 01:57 AM
With no ESP there is definitely a lot of "chirping" going on because it is very torquey, but what I am thinking is that once I put on bigger wheels and performance tires, opposed to the all season tires and 17" x 7.0" (I think) it comes with it'll be less chirpy, but I could be wrong. I think it handles pretty good though, but what do I know... [rolleyes]

phatAvant
08-19-2005, 09:38 AM
I dont get tire chirping at all...strange...I drive it hard too...I must be missing something here...

Steve

phatAvant
08-19-2005, 09:39 AM
Oh I forgot, I have quattro , forget about my earlier post...

[:D] [:D] [:D]

Steve

chaua1
08-19-2005, 09:50 AM
^^^^ LOL, what a way to rub it in!

phatAvant
08-19-2005, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by chaua1
^^^^ LOL, what a way to rub it in!

what can I say, I got skillz...lol

I quite like my quattro, I had my car sideways, on a wet patch of road, it went round the corner just like my old e46 did, and it felt good...I need to have a wet patch infront of me more often...

Steve

A3corn
08-19-2005, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by J-roc
With no ESP there is definitely a lot of "chirping" going on because it is very torquey, but what I am thinking is that once I put on bigger wheels and performance tires, opposed to the all season tires and 17" x 7.0" (I think) it comes with it'll be less chirpy, but I could be wrong. I think it handles pretty good though, but what do I know... [rolleyes]

Yup, I figured after I got some bigger wheels and better tires it would help with the "chirpiness". Good luck

threedaysdwn
08-25-2005, 11:30 AM
Are you talking about chirping because of acceleration (easy to do with the power output of the 2.0T) or a loss of traction in turns?

I've never experienced the latter... my A3 Sport feels much better in the corners than my B5 A4 Quattro did.

I just sometimes forget that I don't have Quattro anymore and find myself chirping the tires when the light turns green... gotta work on that :)

J-roc
08-25-2005, 12:51 PM
I am talking about both. Yes the power definitely causes chirping off the line if pushing it hard, but through turns, when I am going hard, mine definitely is noisy, but I know it is mostly due to the fact that the tires are all season so they aren't made for great handling. So they tend to be noisy, but in the rain they'll be great.

crew219
08-25-2005, 01:24 PM
I am talking about both. Yes the power definitely causes chirping off the line if pushing it hard, but through turns, when I am going hard, mine definitely is noisy, but I know it is mostly due to the fact that the tires are all season so they aren't made for great handling. So they tend to be noisy, but in the rain they'll be great.

Nope . . . . all season has nothing to do with how well they perform in the rain. . . .

in fact the P6 is terrible in the rain.

Dave

phatAvant
08-25-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by crew219
Nope . . . . all season has nothing to do with how well they perform in the rain. . . .

Dave

Mine came with Pzeros, gotta love europe...

Steve

Meesh
08-25-2005, 04:11 PM
^so did mine.

AudiGuy666
08-25-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by phatA3
Mine came with Pzeros, gotta love europe...

Steve

Your car is awesome man!!

J-roc
08-26-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by crew219

Dave

My bad dude. Guess I'll find out when it rains. Figured that all season's would be better in the rain than summer performance tires, but the main thing is my all season tires that came wit my A3 are noisy, and hopefully when I get bigger wheels and better performance tires it won't be so noisy.

rbt
08-30-2005, 11:00 PM
My bad dude. Guess I'll find out when it rains. Figured that all season's would be better in the rain than summer performance tires, but the main thing is my all season tires that came wit my A3 are noisy, and hopefully when I get bigger wheels and better performance tires it won't be so noisy.

Nah...in general, most summer perf. tires (other than Azenis or similar AutoX-purposed designs) I've used perform every bit as good in the rain, compared to "M+S" rated tires. just don't take them out in the snow.

eltonsi
09-06-2005, 09:51 PM
My A3 Sport came with P6, and I will agree with everyone in this thread, it squealed like a pig. On the track, you could hear me making everyturn from the stand. Sold the P6 and went with Falken 512 which is still all season so I can use it for this winter until I get some new rims and tires, and what a difference. A lot more control and a lot less squealing especially on turns. The wheels still spin when you floor it with traction control off, but what can you expect with around to 300 torque (APR chip).

ehtreeee
09-07-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by notbeal
I've driven gti's and the torque steer on them was AWFUL. The thing could not handle for it's life. the tires chirped every damn turn you took. I was wondering how bad it is on the a3. I was going to hold out for a manual quattro, but that wont be out for a while. if the fwd isnt too bad ill consider the a3. tell me what you think. thanks

Torque steer is not an issue if you know how to drive. All FWD cars with lots of torque, have torque steer. Fact of life. I owned a 1.8T GTi and won a PCA enduro on street tires with it. Car control is by far more important than handling characteristics.

This car handles fairly well right from the factory (a beefy rear sway would make this car almost perfect). That said, if torque steer bothers you this much, you should consider quattro.