PDA

View Full Version : Colorado "euro" plate

zachf88
05-23-2014, 12:11 PM
I am finally registering my RS4 in the state of Colorado. I really don't want to put a plate on the front but my wife has received 3 tickets for no front plate when it's been in her windshield. Anyway, I saw a TT with this custo "euro" plate and was wondering if anyone was running this and if any of you guys think this would be "legit"

http://www.urbanplatesusa.com/#!shop

http://0.static.wix.com/media/8dfb060f1ad5e80ce8e40771319866c0.wix_mp_1024

auditd0rk
05-23-2014, 12:36 PM
I think it all comes down to the cop's mood. I run the plate below (thanks Firefox250) and received a warning from a Monument cop. Never had any issues in the Springs (knock on wood). I've read the meter maids in downtown Denver, however, are pretty unforgiving.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/11ltz5x.jpg

drumnjuny
05-23-2014, 12:40 PM
keep it registered out of state. that's my 2c.

zachf88
05-23-2014, 12:47 PM
keep it registered out of state. that's my 2c.

I can't..... After 3 years of having Tx plates, TX DL, and a Texas job (while residing in CO), I have to become an "official" CO resident.

drumnjuny
05-23-2014, 12:53 PM
"have to" is relative

don't make excuses

be the change you want to see in the world.

auditd0rk
05-23-2014, 01:07 PM
In Colorado, your car would blend right in with a Texas plate :)

The major bummer is going to be the Colorado registration fees -- highway robbery.

BeitzDUB
05-23-2014, 01:50 PM
I had this one for about a year with no problems. Still have it, just never put new stickers on it.
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/p417x417/386275_2575002094436_1654546873_n.jpg

zachf88
05-23-2014, 02:17 PM
In Colorado, your car would blend right in with a Texas plate :)

The major bummer is going to be the Colorado registration fees -- highway robbery.

Tell me about it.... I paid $84 a year for registration in TX..... that ownership tax is bull shit.

I had this one for about a year with no problems. Still have it, just never put new stickers on it.
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/p417x417/386275_2575002094436_1654546873_n.jpg

Do you ever park in downtown or cherry creek?

TheSupervisor
05-23-2014, 02:49 PM
How much is registration in CO?

auditd0rk
05-23-2014, 03:07 PM
Based on car's original taxable value and years in service. I bought my A4 in 2012 and registration was almost $900. This past march when I renewed (for the second time), it ran me close to $600.

Specific Ownership Taxes

These taxes are based on the year of manufacture of the vehicle and the original taxable value which is determined when the vehicle is new and does not change throughout the life of the vehicle.
Ownership tax is in lieu of personal property tax. Vehicles do not need to be operated in order to be assessed this tax.

The ownership tax rate is assessed on the original taxable value and year of service
Original taxable value is 85% of manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP).
The annual specific ownership tax is based on the year of service.

BeitzDUB
05-23-2014, 03:11 PM
Do you ever park in downtown or cherry creek?

Not often but I did. I got a meter maid ticket for no front plate with that one on the rear.

Mcstiff
05-23-2014, 11:33 PM
So, my plan is to fold the front plate to euro height. I cut an old one to the right height and the difference is very minimal, similar to what would be covered by a frame. My RS2 bumper does not have a mount, just a recess, so I still need to decide what will happen there. I've thought about making fillers for the side of a euro width mount so that it blends.

On the other hand, I'm rarely downtown and have not had issues driving around in the burbs.

I guess something like this is not bad and easy!

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2010/08/07/09/35/1995_audi_rs2_avant-pic-3764346338136260157.jpeg

BrianE
05-27-2014, 09:42 PM
I ran without a front plate for a while but wife got a ticket in CC and I used to work in downtown but parked in a garage. Got hassled once there. I also got hassled at the airport and always parked with front towards a wall which was inconvenient. Got stopped once driving south on Broadway in Littleton and cop let me off. I just got tired of it and gave up and put the front plate on. I saw the same TT with the Colorado plate Euro Style. I talked to the gal and she said she ordered it online and hasn't had a problem but doesn't go to CC or downtown. She knows it is illegal. It's a bummer. Good luck with your decision.

antoff83
05-27-2014, 10:33 PM
I have no plates on both RS and M..got 2 $75 no plate tickets one in downtown one in Cherry creek both on the M3. I got the one in Cherry creek on exactly the same spot you saw my RS the other day. I wont put plates ever, especially on the RS grille.. so don't put it and try to avoid meter maids on a week days..my .002c. Be prepared for a big bucks on CO registration..

McGovs2.7TB5
05-28-2014, 06:26 AM
Based on car's original taxable value and years in service. I bought my A4 in 2012 and registration was almost $900. This past march when I renewed (for the second time), it ran me close to $600.

Specific Ownership Taxes

These taxes are based on the year of manufacture of the vehicle and the original taxable value which is determined when the vehicle is new and does not change throughout the life of the vehicle.
Ownership tax is in lieu of personal property tax. Vehicles do not need to be operated in order to be assessed this tax.

The ownership tax rate is assessed on the original taxable value and year of service
Original taxable value is 85% of manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP).
The annual specific ownership tax is based on the year of service.

By comparison my S4 cost me ~$70 last year.

I've had no front plate for over 3 years now, no issues. I have a garage spot downtown so I don't really worry about it. Even when i got stopped for speeding the cop made no mention of the lack of front plate.

Zach, CO law says it must be affixed to the front which is why they still ticketed you when it was in the windshield. I feel no plate is more inconspicuous than a euro style one.

ROARs6
05-29-2014, 11:12 AM
Just got a ticket for no front plate. $15 fine plus fees comes out to $40.50. Just FYI.

Docwyte
05-29-2014, 12:26 PM
In general the cops don't care if you don't have a front plate on, unless you're being a dick. Then they'll throw the book at you.

However the meter maids are relentless and will nail your hide to the wall. $75 a whack isn't worth it to me. The street my office is on, which is a quiet side street of Evans, oddly is regularly patrolled by meter maids. Hence all of my cars having front plates on them now...

yas
05-30-2014, 11:26 AM
I carry the plate holder under my front seat and just click it on when I'm parking downtown. A bit of a pain, but better than $75 tickets over and over.

zachf88
05-30-2014, 11:32 AM
I actually ended up using some magnets behind my filler plate and behind the license plate. Whenever I park in CC or downtown, I'll pull my plate out of the glove box and "affix" it to the front.

DOCEVG
05-30-2014, 12:32 PM
I actually ended up using some magnets behind my filler plate and behind the license plate. Whenever I park in CC or downtown, I'll pull my plate out of the glove box and "affix" it to the front.

Great idea, although now all of us know where to steal a plate from.

antoff83
05-30-2014, 05:25 PM

good idea Zach[up] wish I could put same on my RS but dont have filler plate on that grille[:(]

Tweakophyte
05-30-2014, 05:36 PM
I got a "no front plate" while parked in downtown Denver back in '97... only $25 back then.... I keep my front plate on, now.

Subsonic
05-30-2014, 05:37 PM
I am finally registering my RS4 in the state of Colorado. I really don't want to put a plate on the front but my wife has received 3 tickets for no front plate when it's been in her windshield.

That's because displayed in the windshield is not legal. Look up the statute, it must be affixed to the front of the vehicle iirc.

Also there's a license plate holder available that goes where your tow hook would. Spaghetti told me about it back in April but I haven't purchased it yet. It's made by US Millworks.

Edit: Nm, I missed that someone already mentioned the reason she got a ticket anyway.

SomeDayAS4
05-30-2014, 05:40 PM

same set up on my car after i got shafted by the freaking MMs

zachf88
05-31-2014, 12:00 PM
My wife has the US Mill works on her X5.... I just don't want a front plate on my RS4!

yas
05-31-2014, 01:22 PM
good idea Zach[up] wish I could put same on my RS but dont have filler plate on that grille[:(]

If you have the plate holder for the RS grille, you should be able to setup something similar. The plate holder has little pegs that stick into the hexagons on the grille.

dangerous_dave7
05-31-2014, 01:33 PM
How much is registration in CO?

Pretty sure I paid north of $1000 last fall for my S4...

TheSupervisor
05-31-2014, 01:37 PM
Pretty sure I paid north of $1000 last fall for my S4...

Is that for a new registration? How much of that was tax and how much was registration?

Subsonic
05-31-2014, 02:15 PM
First year I registered mine it was $1215 for a taxable value of $47,957. This year was closer to $700.

I'm in Arapahoe County:

Ownership Tax: $959
Prior O.T. (Ownership Tax also I think, I bought it Dec. 26th, 2012 and learned that you get to pay for the entire month): $168
License Fee: $88
Road Fee: $23 (included in license fee)
Bridge Fee: $18 (included in license fee)

Tell me about it.... I paid $84 a year for registration in TX..... that ownership tax is bull shit.

It was $10/year in Louisiana. Truck or car. Really hurt moving here lol. I hear California and a few other states are pretty high too.

Mcstiff
05-31-2014, 09:02 PM
Something like this would work on RS mesh

http://chairpilotproducts.com/index.php/products/plateclips-gallery/721-vxl3-shelby-custom-1

zpfbz
06-14-2014, 09:11 PM
In general the cops don't care if you don't have a front plate on, unless you're being a dick. Then they'll throw the book at you.

However the meter maids are relentless and will nail your hide to the wall. $75 a whack...

This has been exactly my experience... I've run one vehicle or another in Colorado without a front plate for 20+ years and never had a cop give me a problem about it, even if I was pulled over for something else.

But the Denver area meter maids are relentless! Park on the street or at a meter that is meter maid patrolled and expect a big ticket. I guarantee the euro-shaped plate, even with the correct number, will net the same result. The correct plate in the correct spot is the only way to keep them from padding their ticket quota using your vehicle.

I was actually thinking of doing something with magnets as well, possibly using a custom euro-style plate from germanplates.com (similar to auditd0rk's) permanently mounted, with a magnetic mount for the 'real' plate over the top if I'm parking in meter-maid hell...

KidGT
06-20-2014, 01:52 AM

This x 1000.

$6 bucks worth of rare earth magnets from Home Depot and some epoxy is all you need.

Mcstiff
07-17-2014, 11:05 AM
FYI, got pulled over by a Boulder Sheriff in Longmont this morning (on the Diagonal across from OB's Liquids and Solids) specifically for no front plate. He was nice and gave me a warning as I had the plate, all my docs were good, and I told him I was waiting on a mount for my front bumper (:fingerscrossed:). He said that I'd be surprised how many people without a front plate have other issues like expired papers etc.

I guess I need to decide if I want to bother with a EU plate mount, attach a narrowed plate without, or hook it to my lower grill...

SomeDayAS4
07-17-2014, 12:02 PM
no plate still after multiple warnings hah

McGovs2.7TB5
07-17-2014, 12:31 PM
No plate, no warnings here.

Mcstiff
07-18-2014, 07:59 AM
I don't need the hassle / waste the time it takes to get pulled over so they can check my papers...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Ncrv31prC6E/U8kxI_WIPcI/AAAAAAAAMgA/quGb1c5eMVU/w1586-h905-no/IMAG0342%257E2.jpg

BeitzDUB
07-18-2014, 09:37 AM
I don't need the hassle / waste the time it takes to get pulled over so they can check my papers...

Mance's old car? I haven't seen that thing in years!
Checking papers?! What year is this and what country is this?
http://www.holocaustresearchproject.org/ghettos/krakowgal/A%20German%20officer%20checks%20the%20papers%20of% 20Jews%20moving%20into%20the%20Krakow%20ghetto.jpg

Mcstiff
07-18-2014, 12:06 PM
Mance's old car? I haven't seen that thing in years!
Checking papers?! What year is this and what country is this?

It is the ex. Mance mobile, his son had it for a spell then decided to sell and I picked it up in the spring from Champagne. "Build" thread in my sig, it is a fun ride but never got the bottom end he was building so likely ~180awhp.

The clear intent was to pull me over and try to find a "better" violation; not that this is uncommon or "wrong".

Warhorse99
05-18-2015, 03:28 PM
Is that your actual plate number? I am thinking of doing the same thing but not sure if they consider that a front plate or not.

Avus RS4
05-18-2015, 04:29 PM
Is that your actual plate number? I am thinking of doing the same thing but not sure if they consider that a front plate or not.

Yes, you can have it custom made with your actual plate number

Avus RS4
05-18-2015, 04:36 PM
9 out of 10 times a State Trooper will pull you over for no front license plate.
City cops have never bothered me about it even when I had my 2002 Z06 Corvette. I once told a State Trooper that my car was an american icon (Corvette) and a front license plate would ruin the looks of the car. He laughed and told me he was a car guy as well, but still gave me a warning.

The meter nazi-maids in downtown Denver will nail you good for it, and just like someone already said, even with the plate on the windshield you still pay the same as if you didn't have any plates at all.
Now when I'm in downtown, I just pay 20 bucks or whatever it is for a parking garage, way cheaper than getting a ticket.

auditd0rk
05-18-2015, 05:51 PM

I can tell you the Colorado Springs and Monument police departments won't accept that as a "legit" front plate. Both, however, gave me a warning instead of ticketing me. I ended up scrapping my euro plate and installing a US Mill Works tow-hook plate holder. YMMV

bluefox280
05-18-2015, 10:04 PM
Yes, you can have it custom made with your actual plate number
That's what I do... but I still catch flack for it; doesn't help when it's the only plate on the car.

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7022/6701283253_6667fbdc05_o.jpg

- Erik

Avus RS4
05-18-2015, 10:21 PM
That's what I do... but I still catch flack for it; doesn't help when it's the only plate on the car.

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7022/6701283253_6667fbdc05_o.jpg

- Erik

Well, it's not a government issued plate.
I also love to have one custom plate myself, but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle...

Mcstiff
05-18-2015, 10:29 PM
Me? It's my actual plate, it just went on weight watchers.

bluefox280
05-18-2015, 10:30 PM
Well, it's not a government issued plate.
No, sorry - I should have reference the "custom europlate" comment.
One interesting fact is that the German Zoll plate could be registered across the pond in Coburg.

I also love to have one custom plate myself, but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle...
Front is somewhat easy to get past the patrol mans' eyes. Except parking downtown or Cherry Creek like others have stated.
The rear definitely catches the attention of other drivers and the local enforcement if I don't suction cup up the Colorado issued plate.
But, hey... at least the numbers on the Zoll plate and my CO issued plate match; figure I could claim dual-citizenship?

- Erik

Avus RS4
05-18-2015, 10:31 PM
Me? It's my actual plate, it just went on weight watchers.[:D] [:p]

Mcstiff
05-18-2015, 10:35 PM
;) I took the pic next to my buddy's C5 intentionally. The visible area of the C5's front plate is about the same. I have been thinking about getting a Euro mount to hide that it's narrowed; then I'd want to fill the sides.

all_kobiwon
05-19-2015, 05:08 AM
I have a euro colorado front plate on mine. No tickets in two years, maybe I'm just lucky.

Tweakophyte
05-20-2015, 05:12 AM
Boulder Audi has euro plates on all of their loaner cars that just say "BOULDER AUDI". There is no other plate in front. How do they get away with it?

Warhorse99
05-20-2015, 09:52 AM
I am having a vanity plate made and will see if the Front Plate Gestapos will accept this.

Warhorse99
05-20-2015, 09:59 AM
I think it is because you only need one Dealer plate and they have that in the back.