PDA

View Full Version : lifters or injector noise?

von funkenstein
05-13-2014, 09:17 PM
hey all. the wife and i picked up a 2003 v6 avant auto in canvas beige metallic with only 130000kms on it and we love it! this is my first b6 as i had a b5 s4 prior to this one as well as many many vws. i have one question... when the car is cold the transmission likes to keep everything in a high gear until warmed up. i'm totally ok with that until i get to a rather large hill that i have to climb leaving my house. when i start to climb the hill the tranny insists on trying to get to 4th while only traveling about 30km/h. i press the accelerator and get a clacking sound from the motor until the tranny finally decides to shift down and then the noise completely disappears and off we go. the noise only happens in a tall gear when throttle input is increased and the transmission doesn't want to shift down and the car tries to use torque to get where it's going. i know about the camshaft wear but this noise only happens when it's cold and it's trying to pull too high of a gear. any input would be greatly appreciated.

imnuts
05-14-2014, 03:02 AM
What oil are you using? Could be that it just isn't getting quite the oil flow it needs until it gets up to temperature.

Toolaa
05-14-2014, 03:35 AM
the transmission doesn't want to shift down and the car tries to use torque to get where it's going. i know about the camshaft wear but this noise only happens when it's cold and it's trying to pull too high of a gear. any input would be greatly appreciated.

I would try two things. Drive the same route in "S" Sport mode and manual mode. Then if you have access to VAG-com VCDS check for transmission codes. Report those results back.

You may also want to consider a transmission fluid and filter change (do not use a power flush service that could make things much worse). This is something that you can do yourself if you have a jack and jack stands. There are a few DIY's out there.

von funkenstein
05-14-2014, 09:55 AM
What oil are you using? Could be that it just isn't getting quite the oil flow it needs until it gets up to temperature.

oil is lubromoly full synthetic with the big diesel oil filter

I would try two things. Drive the same route in "S" Sport mode and manual mode. Then if you have access to VAG-com VCDS check for transmission codes. Report those results back.

You may also want to consider a transmission fluid and filter change (do not use a power flush service that could make things much worse). This is something that you can do yourself if you have a jack and jack stands. There are a few DIY's out there.

i did drive the route in sport mode today with no noises what so ever the car was stone cold when i left and the tranny had no qualms about climbing the hill or deciding what gear to be in. i'll hook up the VAG-COM and check for tranny codes and report back.

on another note i find that when the tranny is in sport mode that it is a lot smoother with rolling stops compared to the normal mode. normal mode likes to search for gears and cant decide whether to be in 1 or 2 sometimes. is that normal?

Toolaa
05-14-2014, 03:26 PM
I am not going to proclaim being a tip expert but if you are working ok in sport mode then the problem may be electronic or sensor related. I would think it it were hydraulic then you would have the same problem regardless of the operating mode.

Just wondering if you tried manual shifting too in order to see if you feel anything unusual in a specific gear or RPM range?

Im curious to know if you pull any codes.

Also when I was reading you original post you described a clacking sound are you sure its the motor and not just a heat shield vibrating loose?

von funkenstein
05-19-2014, 11:17 AM
i put the vag com on the car and there are no codes for the tranny. i did switch the coding on the tranny to the new style shifting rather than the old style and that seems to have made a difference when cold as it doesn't try and shift up through the gears as fast. i'm going to keep listening and see what i can hear. it's not a rattle really in the sense of a heat shield or anything like that. it's rhythmic and changes with the rpm which is why i was wondering if it was just noisy injectors or valves.

another question for you is when i'm in the vag-com coding settings for the tranny it's showing an option for the quattro settings, one being US and Canada and the other being Europe and rest of world. what's the difference?

von funkenstein
08-12-2014, 03:05 PM
just a follow up, i did the timing belt on the car yesterday and the noise is now gone. i'm guessing it was one of the pulleys trying to die. so much nicer not having to hear that clacking anymore.