PDA

View Full Version : RS5 Lowering Springs: H&R or GMG?

S4V8
05-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Wondering if anyone is running the H&R springs on their RS5? The GMG's are almost twice as much as the H&R's and I'm trying to understand why?

JamesRS5
05-10-2014, 03:55 PM
The GMG springs are made by Eibach, maybe with small numbers being ordered Eibach bump up the price?

GMG also seem to lower quite a bit more than the H&R, the rear certainly appears quite a bit lower (too low in my opinion) so it depends what you are looking for, I'm sure they all perform the same, both types are progressive rate with H&R offing two types of spring, the OE with a half inch drop but OE ride quality and the sport which is a 1 inch drop and probably a little stiffer.

There is the other option of KW which uses an adjustable spring platform, a helper spring (to prevent the main spring dislodging on full droop) and the main spring. From what I have read, these are a good quality ride and you can tailor the height to where you want it.

What suspension is fitted to your RS? The cars equipped with DRC are limited to their spring choice with only the H&R OE being suitable.

S4V8
05-10-2014, 04:00 PM
The GMG springs are made by Eibach, maybe with small numbers being ordered Eibach bump up the price?

GMG also seem to lower quite a bit more than the H&R, the rear certainly appears quite a bit lower (too low in my opinion) so it depends what you are looking for, I'm sure they all perform the same, both types are progressive rate with H&R offing two types of spring, the OE with a half inch drop but OE ride quality and the sport which is a 1 inch drop and probably a little stiffer.

There is the other option of KW which uses an adjustable spring platform, a helper spring (to prevent the main spring dislodging on full droop) and the main spring. From what I have read, these are a good quality ride and you can tailor the height to where you want it.

What suspension is fitted to your RS? The cars equipped with DRC are limited to their spring choice with only the H&R OE being suitable.

Love the drop from the GMG's based on the pics I have seen. Haven't seen a pic of the H&R's anywhere though. I had KW coilovers on my RS4 (RS5 should be ready for me to pick up next week), thinking of going with springs this time around - save a few $'s. Are the KW's you speak of springs or coil overs?

DOCEVG
05-10-2014, 04:43 PM
I have the GMG's on my RS5 and, blasphemy, I think the drop is a bit much.

S4V8
05-10-2014, 06:05 PM
I have the GMG's on my RS5 and, blasphemy, I think the drop is a bit much.

I do think it's low but I like it! Looks perfect IMO.

2014RS5
05-10-2014, 09:43 PM
why is the H&R with the 1.25 drop not a good fit for the RS5 with EDC what is DRC? DYNAMIC RIDE CONTROL

Steve_K
05-11-2014, 10:15 AM
I personally have the H&R RS5 sports springs on my S5, don't ask. I can highly recommend them. [up]

gd10
05-11-2014, 09:51 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/12/arymugas.jpg

H&R SPRINGS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gd10
05-11-2014, 10:00 PM
Slightly firmer ride, no complaints at all, car feels more stable on tight turns. Highly recommended

bknewtype
05-12-2014, 05:05 AM
h and r springs doesnt even look like it dropped the car at all...lol

i would go GMG looks much better imo.

Steve_K
05-12-2014, 05:52 AM
h and r springs doesnt even look like it dropped the car at all...lol

i would go GMG looks much better imo.

Sorry bud, but I would have to disagree.

My car dropped at last 1.5 inches with the H&R sports springs over a couple of weeks to let it settle.

bknewtype
05-12-2014, 05:55 AM
Sorry bud, but I would have to disagree.

My car dropped at last 1.5 inches with the H&R sports springs over a couple of weeks to let it settle.

i was being slightly sarcastic. slightly. lol

i was speaking about above pic ^^^^. u can tell me its dropped 5 inches, but i see a wheel gap, and when i see a wheel gap, it needs moar low! of course, all user preference!

Got No Game
05-12-2014, 06:51 AM
OP: Have you considered coils vs. springs? I know from your post cost is a consideration, but I'm guessing in Canada you might want the flexibility of adjustable height. Just sayin'.

S4V8
05-12-2014, 07:33 AM
OP: Have you considered coils vs. springs? I know from your post cost is a consideration, but I'm guessing in Canada you might want the flexibility of adjustable height. Just sayin'.

I had KW's on my RS4 and it was low, not slammed but low enough. Drove it through 3 CDN winter's and no issue. I may go coilovers again but I would not use them to their full potential - would rather put the money I would save on getting springs towards an exhaust system.

S4V8
05-12-2014, 07:36 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/12/arymugas.jpg

H&R SPRINGS

Looks good and very similar to the drop on my RS4 when I had KW V3's on her. Rear looks a tad higher but I assume it is because you are on uneven ground in that pic.

Here is a pic of an RS5 with the GMG springs - I really like the drop:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=270601&dateline=1376429269

Got No Game
05-12-2014, 09:42 AM
I had KW's on my RS4 and it was low, not slammed but low enough. Drive it through 3 CDN winter's and no issue. I may go coilovers again but I would not use them to their full potential - would rather put the money I would save on getting springs towards an exhaust system.
Gotcha. Now you're talking. I am also going after an exhaust.