PDA

View Full Version : Considering moving from my 997.1 TT to Audi RS5....

S4V8
05-05-2014, 08:28 AM
Up until last June I owned this beautiful Ibis White Audi RS4 - had it for 3yrs and decided it was time to move on however, I miss her still:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7423/9235183920_9220e5c7a4_z.jpg

End of October I picked up this bad boy, stored it for the winter and now after only driving it for a few weeks, am very seriously considering selling it so I can jump back into and Audi - the RS5:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5491/10700382835_a89f3e7207_z.jpg

Some may read this and call me crazy, I have called myself crazy during this process too but I can't seem to rid the desire for the creature comforts the Audi offers, especially the new RS5. I loved what my RS4 had to offer. Appreciated the way it drove, sounded, was convenient to take anywhere and in any type of weather. Don't get me wrong, the 997TT is a great car but it lacks interior finish and "gadgetry" which is something I knew before I purchased the car and thought I could live without. I have quickly come to realize that I was wrong. I also prefer the way the Audi drives - the Porsche is a beast but I don't drag or track my cars so that's no longer a desire for me. I thought long and hard about jumping into an RS5 after I sold my RS4, but I didn't like the fact that it did not have a 6-speed manual option. The paddle shift is starting to grow on me.

Any way...guess I am wondering if anyone has done the same? I love the TT but find myself now looking for an RS5 to move to. I know I am posting this in the Audi forum so answers will likely be biased, but I would still like to hear real world feedback from those that have been in my situation.

essfour
05-05-2014, 09:14 AM
Would you like to trade?

S4V8
05-05-2014, 09:41 AM
Would you like to trade?

Appreciate the offer but I already have a trade lined up with a local dealer. I would get cash back and they have the colour I want with all options I am after. Just need to decide whether or not to pull the trigger - I am hesitant to do so, but extremely tempted to do so.

patmusk
05-05-2014, 09:51 AM
Man, I went through a 6-month debate between purchasing a p/o 997tt or the RS5. Back n forth, back n forth. For me, it came down to cost, exclusivity, all-weather ability, and (like you said), more tech/creature comforts in the RS5. The 997 is definitely the better driving machine, but for me, not enough better to pass on the deal I found. You won't regret getting an RS5, but might miss that Porsche a little.

S4V8
05-05-2014, 11:13 AM
Man, I went through a 6-month debate between purchasing a p/o 997tt or the RS5. Back n forth, back n forth. For me, it came down to cost, exclusivity, all-weather ability, and (like you said), more tech/creature comforts in the RS5. The 997 is definitely the better driving machine, but for me, not enough better to pass on the deal I found. You won't regret getting an RS5, but might miss that Porsche a little.

I know that the Porsche is one of the ultimate driving machines...but I could always get one down the road should the desire rear it's head again.

I know what I am getting into with the RS5, having owned an RS4 already. I am still going back and forth on this one so time will tell.

JSC
05-05-2014, 06:18 PM
Similar situation...went from a 2009 S5, to a 2013 TTRS. Loved the S5 but wanted something sportier. Special ordered the TTRS and kept it for 14 months, great car but missing amenities, keyless, backup camera etc. took my wife's Q5 in for service, test drove a 2014 RS5 loaded, phantom black, black optic, titanium, technology. The exhaust note alone in sport mode was amazing. This is my first non-manual and no regrets. Launch mode makes you giddy.

Had the RS5 for two months and 2700 miles. This is the most enjoyable car overall I have owned including older Porsches, E46 M3, Supra etc. leave it in sport mode, paddles take too much thought. Good backseat, nice trunk and 8200 redline. It's a no brainer.

2014RS5
05-05-2014, 07:00 PM
i spent 8 months researching porsche was ready to buy the 2011 gts , but stumbled into the audi dealer to drive the 2014 r8 wasn't impressed much at all loved the look but 420 hp plus just wasnt comphy in it, then drove the 2014 rs5 fully loaded so picked that up ...time will tell....

djillusion
05-19-2014, 10:15 AM
S4V8 - did you make a decision yet? i've been thinking of getting a 991.1 possibly 997.2 TT but the RS5 keeps popping back up into the decision making process. looking forward to hearing how you decided to proceed, etc.

S4V8
05-21-2014, 11:17 AM
S4V8 - did you make a decision yet? i've been thinking of getting a 991.1 possibly 997.2 TT but the RS5 keeps popping back up into the decision making process. looking forward to hearing how you decided to proceed, etc.

I did and was ready to move forward with a nice Ibis White RS5 however, it was tentaively sold when I posted this and the deal finalized over the w/e.

I will need to wait until I find the right RS5 for me with the options I want. Not many come up here where I am from (Ontario, Canada), but I am hopeful.

NOFEARCT
06-13-2014, 04:02 PM
I don't know your circumstances so it is difficult to comment but I will add this.
I daily drove an RS5 for 15 months, racked up 32k miles, had it up skiing in a few feet of snow, constantly had the trunk full and the back seat either folded or in use... and it was amazing.
As far as daily drivers go, the RS5 must be high on the list of best out there.
But if it were me, and it weren't a daily driver, I would keep the 911. Having driven a few Turbo's I can say with absolute certainty that there is no comparison in driving dynamics or raw performance.
Just my two cents. They are both brilliant cars obviously.

S4V8
11-01-2014, 05:45 AM
I did and was ready to move forward with a nice Ibis White RS5 however, it was tentaively sold when I posted this and the deal finalized over the w/e.

I will need to wait until I find the right RS5 for me with the options I want. Not many come up here where I am from (Ontario, Canada), but I am hopeful.

Bringing this one back from the dead with an update! I did it...sold the 911 Turbo and picked up a used 2013 RS5, exactly to my spec as if I would have ordered it new. Here is a pic of the new car. The Turbo was an amazing car but the additional room and creature comforts win me over every time.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8633/15485142347_435c7e8b35_c.jpg

Brava
11-01-2014, 07:44 AM
Wow, bold move, congrats.

The RS5 feels slower than the 911 turbo?

S4V8
11-01-2014, 08:02 AM
Wow, bold move, congrats.

The RS5 feels slower than the 911 turbo?

Thanks!

Yes, it does, much slower. The Turbo is instant power, very little lag, twin turbo's and a lighter chassis will do that. That said, these 2 cars are not comparable at all and I knew that going into this. I am very happy with my move and look forward to enjoying the RS5 years to come. The Turbo is a beast but a little too much for me as a daily driver.

Brava
11-03-2014, 01:37 PM
I was looking for a 911 turbo before my RS5, almost found one but someone else was faster and took it. Meanwhile I had the chance to test drive the RS5 and that was it.

Very happy with my red RS5.

teky929rr
11-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Congrats!

Mops@Nemesis
11-03-2014, 07:51 PM
Beautiful RS, congrats!

Beast
11-03-2014, 09:06 PM
grats! You in toronto? If so see you around.

Mojo31
11-04-2014, 08:50 AM
Bringing this one back from the dead with an update! I did it...sold the 911 Turbo and picked up a used 2013 RS5, exactly to my spec as if I would have ordered it new. Here is a pic of the new car. The Turbo was an amazing car but the additional room and creature comforts win me over every time.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8633/15485142347_435c7e8b35_c.jpg

[up][up]

I did something similar, and have been loving the RS as well.

rasetsu
11-04-2014, 02:11 PM
Tough choice you made there.

S4V8
11-05-2014, 07:12 AM
Congrats!

Beautiful RS, congrats!

Thanks guys! Loving the car so far.

grats! You in toronto? If so see you around.

Unfortunately not in Toronto....close though....in Ottawa.

Tough choice you made there.

For sure, but I am happy with my decision. No regrets.

Demandred
11-06-2014, 12:36 AM
I was in a similar state...Had my C6 RS6 sedan that had a milltek and a slight tune to about 640HP, I got bored of it because I didnt want the size that it was so test drove a 911 TT (same shape as yours) they gave it to me on the friday and said have it for the weekend but I dropped it back to them on the Saturday at lunch. The guy was shocked when my answer was that it wasn't for me. Yes it was fast, but no faster feeling than my RS6 was, and it really lacked creature comforts and bells n whistles. Thats fine but I really liked my Audi interiors with the nicer layout so I have gone for an RS5 too. Sure not the speed of the 911TT or the RS6 but the sound it makes on full noise still brings a smile to my face every time I do it, and it breaks the speed limit easy enough still.

Good choice and good on ya :)

S4V8
11-06-2014, 07:57 AM
I was in a similar state...Had my C6 RS6 sedan that had a milltek and a slight tune to about 640HP, I got bored of it because I didnt want the size that it was so test drove a 911 TT (same shape as yours) they gave it to me on the friday and said have it for the weekend but I dropped it back to them on the Saturday at lunch. The guy was shocked when my answer was that it wasn't for me. Yes it was fast, but no faster feeling than my RS6 was, and it really lacked creature comforts and bells n whistles. Thats fine but I really liked my Audi interiors with the nicer layout so I have gone for an RS5 too. Sure not the speed of the 911TT or the RS6 but the sound it makes on full noise still brings a smile to my face every time I do it, and it breaks the speed limit easy enough still.

Good choice and good on ya :)

See, some would say you were crazy to do that but until you drive it, sample the cars options and features etc. you really can't form a solid opinion. Don't get me wrong, the 911TT is a beast of a machine and can be driven daily, but for some like myself, it is just not as practical as many make it out to be. It really depends and the individuals lifestyle etc. As a 3rd car, I would have kept her....but I couldn't afford to do that :-)

I have said to myself that some day I will likely get back into a 911 Turbo if I can, but for now I am going to enjoy the RS for while.

S5CooP
02-20-2015, 09:47 PM
I've enjoyed this thread and thank you all for sharing your experience in the 911 /991 and yet your driving an RS5 for its unique features. I have toyed w the idea to move to a P car but keep comin back to my RS5COOP.. Paid her off yesterday and calling it a day! Keeping this one

RS5COOP

phantomrs5
02-21-2015, 09:20 PM
Went from a 997 c4s to a 2013 rs5. The 997 was my garage queen but circumstances changed and I was forced to make it my daily driver. 911 8is no doubt an awesome car and felt incredibly connected to the road but as much as I wanted to make it work, just lacked the practicality, tech, and comfort needed in a daily driver. (991 probably different story). Picked up the rs5 and am happy with my choice. Especially after some mods. Strongly suggest the Alu kreuz stabilizer which brings steering feel a bit closer to that of the porsche. The rs5 wins in the sound department hands down though, especially with my awe track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drscho
03-08-2015, 09:12 PM
I went from a 2010 S5 cab to a 6mt 997 TT to a 2014 RS5 cab. Golf clubs and car seat were too much to juggle in the turbo. I miss her dearly...