PDA

View Full Version : (HELP) TIP Trans Problem - Is My Mechanic Trying to MILK ME???? ((((((((HELP))))

MPOW33R
03-25-2014, 06:07 PM
I have an 01 Avant Quatt 1.8T AWM Motor Tiptronic Auto Trans.
I have 190K on it , it RUNS GREAT !! No leaks no funny shifts butter smooth.
I had a slight clunk when my car would slow down and downshift for the past 2 months.

Saturday Night I was in San Francisco and had to REVERSE Up a very very
STEEP hill. - As I got to the top, the engine dies. 1st time its ever died for any reason.

I restarted and parked, everything was just fine, but I had some concern.

I left the building and started my car, no problems, but as i got about
15 miles down the freeway I saw smoke, then it got heavy and thick.
I pulled over and looked under and saw I was losing oil at a constant dripping speed.
The leakage appeared to be coming from above passenger side around what might appear
as under the dash board or above the front axle area. Basically from under the back side
of the engine closer toward the passenger side.

I had about 5miles left to drive to where my mechanic is , I pulled in parked it and left.
It was Sunday. The car ran perfectly shifted perfectly so i was confused what the problem can be.

I got this message from my mechanic this morning - verbatim

""Transmission is done, looks like a pump seal blew up. You lost a lot of fluid. I had to add 4 Quarts
in just to drive it and it appears to have done some damage.""

What the HELL is going on and what do I do ?

[headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang][headbang]

Wraith600
03-25-2014, 06:24 PM
Here is what I always as to threads like this...... Do you trust your mechanic or not? I know nothing of what this could be however lots of smoke then driving for some time would to me seem reasonable that you lost fluid as mentioned. The damage could have been there prior to the loss of fluid and smoke but your mechanic is looking at it after the fact.

Either way you have a transmission problem and someone has to get into it to see more what going on. Either your guy or someone else.

MPOW33R
03-25-2014, 06:33 PM
Good point - I do trust him, a lot. So ill back up a little. Now that my own smoke has settled
My Q would be , why would the car die when throttling hard in reverse up hill?
and then start a leak or blow out a pump seal?Is this normal wear and tear?
Is this fixable or does this require a new trans?

walky_talky20
03-25-2014, 09:08 PM
Reverse gear usually puts line pressure to maximum. So if something is going to give out, it's going to do it under the exact conditions you put it through. You gave it a good test, and it failed.

If indeed the transmission was operated with low fluid, that is...operated under driving load while slipping the living crap out of the clutch packs...it's done. Most of the damage probably occurred in the 5 extra miles it was driven after the smoke show. Up till then it was just a fluid leak. Now the clutches are gone.

It can probably be repaired, but with 190k it's probably not worth the large parts and labor expense. A better option is a used replacement transmission from a junkyard. Should be around $500 for one with a 3-6 month warranty. 6-8 hours labor to put it in.

Or...5-speed swap that pile. 3 pedals FTW.

MPOW33R
03-25-2014, 09:45 PM
Walky - you always give me great insight. Thank you

I had an Amazing 2001.5 5 speed celebration edition i had to sell because wifey needed
to drive the Waggy so i sold it for a Tip (not my choice)

2ndly would i have to get the tranny pulled out and inspected Mechanic said its drivable but doesn't know how long?

Any precautions with a trans from a junky yard, how do I know what I'm getting into, and any recommendations ?
and if I do buy one with warranty and it turns out a dud, do i get labor reimbursed ?

BrucexL33
03-26-2014, 12:39 AM
Walky - you always give me great insight. Thank you

I had an Amazing 2001.5 5 speed celebration edition i had to sell because wifey needed
to drive the Waggy so i sold it for a Tip (not my choice)

2ndly would i have to get the tranny pulled out and inspected Mechanic said its drivable but doesn't know how long?

Any precautions with a trans from a junky yard, how do I know what I'm getting into, and any recommendations ?
and if I do buy one with warranty and it turns out a dud, do i get labor reimbursed ?

Great to see another member from the Bay Area! If you buy one from the junkyard you can return it within 30 days (pick n pull). You will not get labor reimbursed for it unless the shop provided the part.

walky_talky20
03-26-2014, 05:49 AM

A: You could definitely just put some fluid in it and see what happens. But that's only if the leak is external and fixable. Like one of the cooler lines (connection is on driver's side above axle). If the leak is indeed from the pump, it's a no go. Literally.

B: Some junkyards offer warranty "upgrades". So the default free warranty with purchase is usually 1-3 months. An example might be that you can upgrade to a 1 year warranty for +25%, and you can upgrade to a 2 or 3 year warranty with Labor covered (shop rate up to $95 and Mitchell 'book time') for +50%. Or if your mechanic sources the transmission, he will provide his own guarantee on the parts/labor. Just make sure it's in writing on the receipt!

Here's a warranty example. They give you a fancy calculator on the site to figure cost and coverage. This is not really typical, though.
http://www.sharpautoparts.com/resources/warranty-calculator/

coolgraymemo
03-26-2014, 09:28 PM
They aren't OEM RS4/RS6 wheels. They are USP wheels.

walky_talky20
03-27-2014, 05:36 AM
They aren't OEM RS4/RS6 wheels. They are USP wheels.

Okay, then. I think that settles that.

coolgraymemo
03-27-2014, 10:08 AM
I was referring to OP is selling his USP wheels on CL. He is claiming they are OEM RS4/RS6 wheels.

walky_talky20
03-27-2014, 10:14 AM
Oh. I gotcha.

Halfrican
03-27-2014, 10:53 AM
I was referring to OP is selling his USP wheels on CL. He is claiming they are OEM RS4/RS6 wheels.

I see it all too often.

MPOW33R
03-27-2014, 10:38 PM
Yes they are USP, Im not fluent in the wheels that I purchased, thanks for the heads up
after about 8 min of googling thats confirmed - YES they are USP.

ps -Thanks for looking ;)