PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating V8 S5

Turbopete
03-22-2014, 07:08 AM
So I bought a garage queen '04 S4 M6 with 12k on the clock two weeks ago. On the way home after purchasing, a guy in an oncoming pickup turned without looking, into my path, and I T-boned him. Damage looked light, but found out this week that it's more extensive, and at-fault party's carrier is going to total it out.

Long story short, I am in the market once again, and am contemplating the S5 with a 4.2 and m6. Haven't found a "buying guide" on AZ, specifically for this car. I presume a lot of the B6/B7 S4 stuff on that topic are the same or similar, but I don't know for certain. I'm looking for a Pro/Con kind of list, common problems, the good bits, etc... If this exists already, and I missed it in my search, then flame appropriately.

Thanks everyone.

Rabbit
03-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Laaaaammmmeeee.
Don't let them fuck you on the payout.

pdubb
03-23-2014, 06:34 PM
I recommend getting one with the sports differential, as it contributes to much better handling. I think others would agree.
The v8 engines and other Audi FSI engines are plagued by carbon build up. If its upwards of the 30k mi, make sure there isn't any hesitation at certain RPM's as that's sometimes a sign of that. However, a simple cleaning of the motor will put it back to almost new, and much more responsive.
ADS (Audi Drive Select) is OK. I have it and its nothing too special. (I have a manual, automatic owners may refute that)
Other then that in my eyes my 2012 has been perfect. I absolutely love the car and get compliments all the time and love the sound of my v8... a new m6 though... that's a car.
(unless you're saying MT6 and not BMW M6)

JimmyBones
03-23-2014, 07:44 PM
I really like the V8 S5s and JHM is doing great things with them just like the B6/7 S4s. The V8 S5s do get carbon buildup but I don't think it hurts the performance as much as some people think it does. The RS4s were worse for carbon buildup and the fastest stock RS4 never had a carbon clean. If you do end up getting a carbon clean then it is a great time to get intake manifold spacers. The clutches are weak on the B8 cars. Be prepared to spend more for a good B8 flywheel and clutch than what a B6/7 flywheel and clutch kit costs. The S5s also eat through rotors fast.

Which M6s are you looking at? The older V10s are cool but they were really meant to have the automatic just like the similar M5s. The newer V8TT M6s are total monsters.

ProfileX
03-24-2014, 06:28 PM
I have a 2011 S5 with the 4.2 manual 6 speed, I love it. I bought it new and have had very few problems. 52k miles and no hesitation or noticeable power loss from carbon buildup. The ADS option isn't worth the money but if you're buying used that probably won't be a big factor. The sport differential is nice, I test drove some without it and its noticeable. But I'm not sure how you would check for it when buying used. The navigation and MMI with Apple connector is worth getting, but it doesn't come with Bluetooth for music, just Bluetooth for the phone.

Turbopete
03-24-2014, 09:23 PM
Doh! (Face palm)
I meant MT6. Thanks for all the tips. I've got my eye on a low mile 2008 S5 (30k) manual trans. I will research if there's a way to tell if it has the sports diff. Unless it wasn't available in 2008, in which case I will know for sure. Thanks again!

bunnone
03-24-2014, 10:01 PM
I really like the V8 S5s and JHM is doing great things with them just like the B6/7 S4s. The V8 S5s do get carbon buildup but I don't think it hurts the performance as much as some people think it does. The RS4s were worse for carbon buildup and the fastest stock RS4 never had a carbon clean. If you do end up getting a carbon clean then it is a great time to get intake manifold spacers. The clutches are weak on the B8 cars. Be prepared to spend more for a good B8 flywheel and clutch than what a B6/7 flywheel and clutch kit costs. The S5s also eat through rotors fast.

Which M6s are you looking at? The older V10s are cool but they were really meant to have the automatic just like the similar M5s. The newer V8TT M6s are total monsters.

I apologize in advance for the NEWB question, but I had searched for Plenum and/or Intake spacers and wasn't able to locate any. I had one on a prior vehicle and it made a difference with greater air flow. Do you know who makes the spacers for the Audi S5 V8? Where can they be purchased? How much?

Many thanks,

Duane

Turbopete
03-25-2014, 02:21 PM
Laaaaammmmeeee.
Don't let them fuck you on the payout.
Ok, so the at-fault party insurance company is yanking my chain with low ball offers, due to the total absence of similar "comps," in similar condition. I need to find a reputable appraisal expert to give me a value on my S4. Suggestions?

JimmyBones
03-27-2014, 09:57 AM
I apologize in advance for the NEWB question, but I had searched for Plenum and/or Intake spacers and wasn't able to locate any. I had one on a prior vehicle and it made a difference with greater air flow. Do you know who makes the spacers for the Audi S5 V8? Where can they be purchased? How much?

Many thanks,

Duane

JHM is making and selling intake manifold spacers. Right now they only have the early S5 spacers listed but if you call then they may have something for the later cars. They are listed at $250.

http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/jhm-intake-spacers-8mm-thick-for-b8-s5-fsi-v8-up-to-early-2009-p-1744.html?cPath=21_276_277_321

bunnone
03-27-2014, 10:13 AM
Thank you so much for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenturbo
03-27-2014, 02:28 PM
Buy the V8. i was at a Mobil yesterday gassing up and a 19 year old screamed out the window of his 3.5HO SXT Charger "Is that the 4.2 engine!?, that's my dream car!" and we chatted for 15 minutes. I told him that the charger is a good car and that he should stick it out getting his ASE mechanic license, and to stay in school =)

The car was in its ugliest form being covered with salt and soot and as far from "Ibis white" as it can get with drippings of windshield washer fluid and nasty brake dust too, and he still kept repeating "that's my dream car"...So what other Pro/con list is really needed?!

p.s. sorry about your S4, that really sticks. good luck finding another jewel.

ProfileX
03-28-2014, 12:14 AM
i was at a Mobil yesterday gassing up and a 19 year old screamed out the window of his 3.5HO SXT Charger "Is that the 4.2 engine!?, that's my dream car!" and we chatted for 15 minutes.

Sounds familiar, the S5 is definitely not a chick magnet, total dude magnet. About once a week I get strangers shouting compliments or talking to me in parking lots and gas stations.

John P.
03-28-2014, 12:47 AM
the S5 is definitely not a chick magnet

I beg to differ. [wrench]

Hippyshakes
03-28-2014, 08:42 AM
RS5 Cabrio. The kitty is on my back step all day and night... [;)]

greenturbo
03-28-2014, 04:36 PM
Agreed!, while it attracts more thumbs up from guys, wimmenz love the lines of the A5/S5..
I beg to differ. [wrench]

Turbopete
03-29-2014, 05:40 AM
I found a clone of the JHM shop car. Hashing out the deal this weekend. Still fighting with ins co about the S4. It was such a beautiful car.

blackluna
04-05-2014, 12:40 AM
I will research if there's a way to tell if it has the sports diff.
If you see an option to configure a sport diff in MMI then you have a sport diff AFAIK.

Doublea4
04-06-2014, 06:40 AM
Got an '11 S5 with sport diff and I wouldn't have it any other way. Drove the new S5 with the supercharged V6 and while I thought the car was awesome it did not have the "feel" I wanted. In short, I went visceral (V8) over refined (V6). The V8 has character where the supercharged V6 relies on a fake soundtrack piped into the cabin. I am happy that the V8 has a strong following. If it matters, I have 20K on the odometer and not a single problem.

PoisonTheWell
04-18-2014, 08:37 PM
I've actually had dealers contact me to ask if I wanted to trade my car in because there's a demand for the manual V8's. Knock on wood, no problems in almost 20k of ownership and I just had my 45k service done.

pdubb
04-25-2014, 04:38 PM
I've actually had dealers contact me to ask if I wanted to trade my car in because there's a demand for the manual V8's. Knock on wood, no problems in almost 20k of ownership and I just had my 45k service done.

I had the same thing where they contacted me cause my options (MT6, etc). But I think this is the normal routine they go through (Shit, a week before they called my brother on his A4 and said the same thing. His is a base A4 with no Nav, no nothing, so I thinks it's their ruse to get you to come back in)
I also had the 'Retention Manager' email me just now trying to do the same.

Touching up on what I posted before about no problem...My car recently ran into the CEL (Check Engine Light) Cold Start Engine Misfire... It went into the dealership and they said that it was an Engine Temp Sensor, and fixed it. But a week later it came back and they said this time it was a Cold Start Engine Misfire. He said they updated it with new software that came out on the 15th of this month (I was in on the 17th) and he said the new update should cure this issue.

I told him I thought it was carbon buildup, but they said they scoped my engine and it looked clean.

Went home, left to vegas the next day. Came back 5 days later, started my car and CEL again. Took it into the dealership and they said Cold Engine Start Misfire again, and they're going to put an Audi Additive in the car and put 50 miles on it to see if that clears what they think to be a carbon buildup causing a "stuck intake valve". They did that and kept the car. Started it again the next morning, and CEL again.

So they finally said they would open the valve cover and clean the intake valves, etc. This cured the issue completely and I got the car back yesterday. Feels very responsive now. I wish though I had them put JHM Spacers in after reading these comments on them (damn it)

FWIW, my car never hesitated or anything, still felt powerful, but just threw a CEL so that was the first sign that carbon buildup was happening. Feels good to have all that cleaned out now I must say. Time to sell her soon so I can make room for a RC-F :)

P

rmh
05-01-2014, 06:13 PM
I sold my 2003 D2 S8 because it had the tiptronic transmission in it and bought a 2010 S5 6MT (4.2L) with sport rear differential (a MUST in my opinion) and no ADS.

I added the AWE Track exhaust with the (quieter) resonated DPs, the H&R OE Sport spring suspension (lower center of gravity by ~1 inch), Alu Kreuz, under-seat storage drawers, and EuroTek Fr/Rr Sway Bars with adj end links.
I run 275/35/19 Pilot Super Sports on 19x9.5 wheels and I track my car often.

I absolutely love the way my car handles and sounds.
If you like attention (I'm not interested in that) my S5 turns heads, and gets compliments from total strangers every time I drive it, it seems.