PDA

View Full Version : high oil temperature

hoonee46
08-06-2005, 04:58 PM
96 a4qm 2.8 12v
Throughout the winter, my oil temperature was pretty steady at a little less than 200. Recently, I've been noticing that it's been hitting the 225 mark... driving around 50~60mph for a good 10minutes.. or driving a bit hard locally also brings it up...
2 nights ago, I was driving around 80mph for a good 20 minutes, and I saw the oil temperature creeping up to the 250 mark... at which point i slowed down to 45(min limit) and stayed there til she cooled to around 210.
I also noticed that the radiator fan gets significantly louder, spinning faster... which of course results in power loss...
Thought this might be the clutch fan malfunctioning, but considering it only happens when the engine gets hot, it's doing its job, no?
Coolant temperature always remains in the middle mark.
ECT sensor was replaced not long ago (the problem started way before this)
after researching a bit, I suspect it could be the thermostat?
ANY help will be appreciated, thanks for your time.

matt719
08-06-2005, 08:59 PM
I don't know about the 12V engine but I'd guess that temperature is acceptable at 80mph? Most engine oil protect at up to 400F or something crazy so I personally wouldn't worry about it unless it keeps getting higher. Just my thoughts.

jent
08-07-2005, 09:18 AM
no worry's man....I have a similar car (look at signature) and on a hot day i usally sit around 225. thats about average. I would not worry unless you get in the 275 or 300 mark. That is a bit warm and you may think about shutting your ac off ;-)

edit**
oh and your fan clutch is doing its job. The hotter the engine the faster your fan will spin and the more power you will lose.

hoonee46
08-08-2005, 08:08 AM
awesome, thanks again