PDA

View Full Version : RS5 - 14k miles, new rotors/pads?

lsondubz
03-17-2014, 11:25 AM
So I was driving my car the other day and i started getting a very bad shake when applying the brakes. Brought the car into the local dealer this morning and they said I need new pads, new rotors and some sort of new pin? They quoted me at $2500? This seems crazy seeing as the car only has 14k miles on it, I could see pads but new rotors? anyone shed some light?

Runge
03-17-2014, 02:24 PM
ever track the car? or just daily driver?

buzztt
03-17-2014, 02:37 PM
The dealers always tell you that you need new rotors every time you replace pads or you could experience uneven brake pad wear. I've never replaced rotors on a car ever and have never had an issue or have anyone tell me I had uneven brake pad wear.

I'm guessing its in the employee manual that they have to say it every time, for liability reasons, and also to try and get as much money out of you as possible.

Also, find a good Indy, the price will likely be at least 25% less and you'll be dealing with real mechanics rather than kids reading a tech manual on a monitor that just tells them company policy of what should be done rather than what actually needs to be done.

lsondubz
03-17-2014, 03:41 PM
ever track the car? or just daily driver?

just daily drive

dazed1
03-17-2014, 04:16 PM
Did your "low brake pad" light / warning come on? My pads are at about 40% and the light is about to get triggered. I swapped the pads out for track pads and could see that the sensor is pretty high up in the pad wear. I'm at around 12.5k with 1 track weekend on the stock pads + rotors.

Rotors are fine for now for me. I might have to replace them after a couple track days.

JimmyBones
03-17-2014, 06:26 PM
Try making a few hard stops like you are bedding in new brake pads.

boostinfd
03-18-2014, 11:33 AM
Mine has 10K miles and when braking from 60mph to about 40mph I get slight shake... I have audicare package... does that cover replacing the brakes and rotors?

teky929rr
03-18-2014, 11:52 AM
Mine has 10K miles and when braking from 60mph to about 40mph I get slight shake... I have audicare package... does that cover replacing the brakes and rotors?

No

ECS Tuning-Audi
03-18-2014, 12:12 PM
14K does seem like a short interval for changing out pads and rotors. But if you are looking for an alternative we have the option for you to upgrade to a 2-piece rotor as well as a higher performing pad at a better price.

Check it out below!

Click HERE to order or for more information (www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B8_RS5--4.2L/Search/SiteSearch/ES514158_ES2603007/?salesrep=JMarusic&utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=JMarusic&utm_campaign=postreply)

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason

GotRS?
03-22-2014, 08:34 PM
My pads were at about 7.5mm when replaced with ceramic pads at 9k miles, by choice. DD use and would have lasted to 20k I'd say.
Agree with JBones, do some hard bedding type braking and get any glaze off.

trinim3
04-09-2014, 08:36 PM
So I was driving my car the other day and i started getting a very bad shake when applying the brakes. Brought the car into the local dealer this morning and they said I need new pads, new rotors and some sort of new pin? They quoted me at $2500? This seems crazy seeing as the car only has 14k miles on it, I could see pads but new rotors? anyone shed some light?

I had a similar shake with my S4 around 30k mi after a few track days and some spirited
driving. Do you have aftermarket wheels? Apparently my aftermarket wheels weren't sitting flush on the hub when the rotors thinned out so they moved around slightly under braking. In my case a new set of front brakepads/rotors (rears were not necessary) actually did solve the issue. Maybe the stock rs5 rotors thin out really quickly which may not have been a problem if the wheels were properly spaced?

essfour
04-10-2014, 06:38 AM
I have 20K on mine and still have plenty of life left in both the pads and rotors. I can see them lasting to over 30k easily.

Dfw007
04-10-2014, 07:09 PM
I have 3800 miles on my RS5 and the light came on today. I have done 2 track days in the past three weeks, so no real surprise. The stock pads are absolute crap if you are going to drive hard. They do not bite enough for me and they wear quickly. My new porterfield rs4 pads arrive tomorrow. I am not replacing the rotors yet, they do not need it, but when they are ready I am probably switching to the ECS version mentioned on this thread. I already have the ECS SS lines and am running Motul 600 fluid. Will update with my impressions as I progress. Next track day is May 10, will have pads and probably new michelin PSS by then.

ECS Tuning-Audi
04-11-2014, 08:11 AM
I am not replacing the rotors yet, they do not need it, but when they are ready I am probably switching to the ECS version mentioned on this thread. I already have the ECS SS lines and am running Motul 600 fluid.

Sounds good! Thanks for the previous order! [up]

Jason

Brava
05-12-2014, 09:58 PM
Same story here, I am on the third set of rotors since new, already in need for a new set. Car is only 34k miles.

I get brake judder at about 80 mph, but only when rotors are hot, for example after an emergency brake from 130 mph. So the emergency high speed brake is very smooth, but any subsequent brake gets judder. If. I let rotors cool, the it's again smooth.

Can someone recommend rotors that will not give judder? I had an E92 M3 before and never experienced brake judder. Is this a known issue for the RS5?

ECS Tuning-Audi
05-13-2014, 08:44 AM
Same story here, I am on the third set of rotors since new, already in need for a new set. Car is only 34k miles.

I get brake judder at about 80 mph, but only when rotors are hot, for example after an emergency brake from 130 mph. So the emergency high speed brake is very smooth, but any subsequent brake gets judder. If. I let rotors cool, the it's again smooth.

Can someone recommend rotors that will not give judder? I had an E92 M3 before and never experienced brake judder. Is this a known issue for the RS5?

Seams more like it would be your pads rather than the rotors.

Jason

Brava
05-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Thanks Jason.

Pads are new, just replaced them. What could be wrong with the pads? What from pads would cause the judder?

ECS Tuning-Audi
05-13-2014, 01:51 PM
Thanks Jason.

Pads are new, just replaced them. What could be wrong with the pads? What from pads would cause the judder?

Well if you put new pads on old rotors the new pads are probably picking up old brake pad material and its causing inconsistencies across the face of the rotor. You really should star off with new rotors if you put new pads. Or at the very least have them turned so you start off with a fresh surface.

The number one cause of brake judder is improper bedding of the pads. See the artical below for more information.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/avoiding_brake_judder.htm

Jason

Brava
05-13-2014, 01:58 PM
Thanks. What do I do now, how can I get rid of the hot judder?

Need to mention that my brake rotors are not very smooth. they show grooves of various depths, could this be reason for judder when hot?

ECS Tuning-Audi
05-13-2014, 02:16 PM
Thanks. What do I do now, how can I get rid of the hot judder?

Need to mention that my brake rotors are not very smooth. they show grooves of various depths, could this be reason for judder when hot?

Have your rotors resurfaced. What they will do is put them on a lathe and it will cut them down and make the surface smooth again.

Then make sure you bed your pads properly. This should eliminate your brake judder.

Jason

Brava
06-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Jason,

Could you please recommend a set of brake pads that will help with the hot judder I was talking Above?

NOFEARCT
06-13-2014, 04:12 PM
I replaced pads around 15k I think, but no rotors, and only in the front.
"daily driven" can mean rather different things for different drivers lol

dgszweda
09-29-2014, 12:08 PM
Have your rotors resurfaced. What they will do is put them on a lathe and it will cut them down and make the surface smooth again.

Then make sure you bed your pads properly. This should eliminate your brake judder.

Jason

Can you turn the RS5 stock rotors?

ECS Tuning-Audi
09-29-2014, 12:15 PM

You should be able to turn just about any rotor as long as it is not below the minimum thickness. Which is usually something like 1-2mm per side below the new rotor thickness. But don't quote me on that as every rotor manufacture has different specs on what they consider their minimum thickness.

Jason

JimmyBones
09-29-2014, 07:10 PM

Audi doesn't recommend it. Along with most aftermarket shops will not turn drilled rotors because the holes wear out/break the tools. I have done it before but it took forever because I could only take off a tiny little bit at a time. Also the usual 2 millimeter wear limit doesn't allow very much at all to be taken off.

Usually it is better to bed in the pads like six to eight times to burn off any high spots.

Jimmy ny
10-04-2014, 08:00 AM
Im getting the same problem at 800 miles. I think it is the pads. Which pad would solve this problem, and be quite. I heard EBC Red can be noisy on RS5. Any suggestions...

Brava
10-05-2014, 01:57 AM
I'm on Hawks HPS, solved the shaking problems, happy now.

Pads are quiet.

antoff83
10-08-2014, 06:05 PM
My car us has 12 000 miles now and I am not happy with my stopping power:( Car is just a daily driver with one track day but that was 10 000 miles ago.. My 2004 M3 has better stopping power than my RS:(

Brava
10-09-2014, 12:42 PM
Change pads

Hawks DTC 70 will teach you a lesson [:D]

The noise though will be unbearable, so the Hawks HPS will provide excellent stopping power with minimal noise

Jimmy ny
10-19-2014, 06:15 AM
I just ordered the Hawk HPS front pads. I will report back on this issue. It should solve the problem.