PDA

View Full Version : Calling Custom Exhaust Gurus

Ryanic
03-05-2014, 11:58 AM
Alright, So I own a 1998 Audi A4 2.8L v6 (30v). I have a custom exhaust which consists of a welded custom y pipe after my two cats. It then runs a single 2.25 pipe all the way back to my Magnaflow 11148 straight through muffler. And that's it.

My issue is when I'm accelerating at a decent speed at like 2,800rpm I get a tin, flapping metal, ricey, rasp sound for a split second.

If I'm accelerating as fast as I can it's like a constant tin, flapping metal, ricey, rasp sound after like 1,000 rpm lol.

If I quick rev it from a stop or in neutral I also get the tin, flapping metal, ricey, rasp sound.

If I'm accelerating at a slow or constant speed it sounds good all the way through the gears etc.

Video for your diagnosis help,
First rev is a constant slow and steady acceleration. (I was in neutral for all of these btw). This one sounds fine and is okay.
Second rev is a couple quick revs, you can start to hear what I'm talking about (But in actual person, it sounds more like flapping metal or rice idk.
Third rev is quite a lot of quick revs/fast acceleration (Still in neutral though) You can really hear what I'm talking about, and in person it's even worse sounding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR8b2XmctD4&feature=youtu.be

I have a feeling I might have a few exhaust leaks somewhere, could this have any effect?
I also removed some "make shift exhaust tips" that I made from some random metal pipe, that I have to cut and bend to fit over the muffler (So the muffler would extend past my bumper removing increased cabin drone). They had like slots in the tips because of that and I noticed black exhaust soot on the backside of my muffler because of the slits. Before I removed them this morning the sound was like 3x worse. The "rasp" kind of quieted down and it wasn't as quick to appear in my revs of everyday driving after I removed them as well, so I believe it had a tiny factor but it's still there.

I'm planning on getting some nice exhaust tips (Maybe resonated ones?, because I need some anyways to finish off the muffler), and seeing if that improves anything but, I have a feeling it;s not going to accomplish much. I also have the option of getting a resonator? (Not a glass pack) and putting that up before the muffler as well?

Also here is a video of when the "make shift exhaust tips" were on still.. And it kind of gives a better idea of what i'm trying to say on how it sounds bad when the car is under heavy acceleration,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maEjXvSLnqE

Oh and I can't hear the rasp/ flapping metal/ etc from inside the car when the windows are up... Only when I have my windows down can I hear it personally. The car sounds nice inside the cabin all the time (Under any acceleration) when my windows are up.

Mad Cow
03-05-2014, 12:43 PM
Sounds like you need a resonator.

Cgoon009
03-05-2014, 02:14 PM
Sounds like you need a resonator.

my vote

andyrew
03-05-2014, 02:22 PM
Check for exhaust leaks. Adding a cherry bomb resonator will help and probably give you the tone your looking for, but exhaust leaks will cause the sound your hearing.

ballinb5
03-05-2014, 02:27 PM
i kind of like that sound lol

Ryanic
03-05-2014, 02:41 PM
Check for exhaust leaks. Adding a cherry bomb resonator will help and probably give you the tone your looking for, but exhaust leaks will cause the sound your hearing.

That's what I was thinking, I did a brief check for leaks a few weeks back, but I couldn't find any exhaust soot on my pipes at all. And the exhaust idles loud/even louder when reving so it's really hard to hear where they would be coming from.

I don't really want to add a cherry bomb resonator because aren't they all cheap glasspacks? And glasspacks wear down pretty fast from what I've heard. Anyone recommend a certain type of resonator? Would like to find one around 50 or so but idk if that's possible.

And ballinb5, the video makes it sound better than it sounds in person haha. It sounds really bad when fast accelerating in person.

And I'm most likely going to get a resonator, because I do have terrible low gear low rpm drone in the cities and that's mostly where I drive currently so, that'll help with the drone, but I'm afraid the sound I have currently is caused by a leak somewhere as well. So I'm just wondering if people have any more ideas or what the census thinks is wrong.

Bordom
03-05-2014, 07:08 PM
I liked mine better with a rear muffler delete to straight pipe before I added my resonated tips. It lost much of it's grumble when I threw those tips on.

Tips are Flowtech Resonated 2.25ID-2.5OD

Mortal_Wombat
03-05-2014, 07:36 PM
i kind of like that sound lol

me too, reminds me of a v8 rs4

Crispy222
03-05-2014, 07:59 PM
needs x-pipe and true duals, then dual in-out muffler

Ryanic
03-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Lol if I could drop $350 on a new exhaust set up I would totally go dual all the way, but I've already put money into this set up and I like the sound I get currently... Just want to remove the rasp/flapping metal sound lol. I'm embarrassed to accelerate fast currently.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpe-1790/overview/

Anyone recommend a certain length of resonator? The longer they are the more rasp it'll reduce? I need to crawl under my car tomorrow and see how long of a resonator I can put on first though.

Ryanic
03-08-2014, 06:16 PM
Okay, I have no idea if I should go with the 12'' vibrant resonator or the 18'' one... Has anyone put vibrant resonators on and how did they turn out? I want to order one asap so I can finally fix my exhaust. It's pretty raspy on fast/quick revs, so I almost feel like I need the 18'' one (I'd still have to double check my exhaust to see if I can even fit a 18'' though)

Ryanic
04-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Update for everyone, I ordered a Vibrant 12'' Resonator... Wish I would have went with the 18'' (I still have too much drone for city driving).... And also I got a hole in my exhaust welded up to get rid of most of the rasp that I was complaining about.

Here is a video of the updated exhaust... Still need to find out where I have another small exhaust leak I believe (As you can still slightly hear the rasp in the from a start clip in the video)

But yeah really just posting the video so people can possibly diagnose their issue if they have the same sound issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBzEc6j6U-c&feature=youtu.be

And PS: Fuck MN roads lol... Pot holes errrrryyyy whereeeee

Bordom
04-02-2014, 03:07 PM
Yours sounds a bit like mine. I did a rear muffler delete and added a resonated dual tip.

Here's a clip of a gorgeous exhaust note.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl2NPyWt-4E

Mirza.Ramovic
04-02-2014, 11:23 PM
Yours sounds a bit like mine. I did a rear muffler delete and added a resonated dual tip.

Here's a clip of a gorgeous exhaust note.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl2NPyWt-4E

Hey that's my car!