PDA

View Full Version : Depo headlights and heating issue... Yes help me...

zandrew
03-04-2014, 05:44 PM
My Valeo Ecodes have broken tabs and the usual so I decided to buy a set of the Depo black outs. I know others mentioned something about sealing them up so I am curious as to what part specifically needs sealed? Also knowing how bad my lows suck on the Valeo's does anyone know if upgrading to HID is worthwhile?

Now on to my heating issue. My heater is possessed and comes on as it pleases. Typically this does not include when it is eskimo cold like it has been lately. It does seem to come on typically the last 1/4 mile on my way to work. I run the code and it comes up static voltage (I will post code later) and after I looked it up it seems to be a couple different possibilities. Heater motor, heater relay, brushes, etc.

What I am wondering is if there is a common issue that I should consider first? I don't know if this would cause my possessed heater blower problems but I have had a squealy aux electric fan which only comes on when I turn the heater on. It works just fine and sometimes squeals and sometimes does not. My heater does not function according to the squeal or not. Could this be the cause?

MNB5Tuner
03-04-2014, 06:53 PM
When I had my B5 my first upgrade was a set of Depo E-codes and a set of H7 35w 5000K HIDs. Loved it. I didn't have to do any sealing though, maybe its cause I got the chrome OE style ones and not the dumb angel eye ones?...

As for the heater system, are any of your buttons sticky? If its not that I can't really help ya on that one.

zandrew
03-04-2014, 07:49 PM
The black outs are not the Angel eye's. They are the exact same as the Depo chrome with black backgrounds.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Lighting/Headlights/ES261514/

Some people have had issues with them fogging up is why they seal them.

Yes some of my damn buttons are sticky since whichever Nazi engineer put the cup holder over the climate controls. However I can still select what I want and what not but I have been trying to figure out a way to clean them out.

MNB5Tuner
03-04-2014, 08:15 PM
I used this and it worked wonderfully

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411CvV4yAwL._SY300_.jpg

zandrew
03-04-2014, 08:39 PM
Good deal. I will try it and report back. Atleast if nothing else I will have clean un stuck buttons. for the first time since I owned it.

nynoah
03-04-2014, 10:04 PM
I took mine out and pulled it apart to clean it. There was coke in the buttons making them stick. It took soaking and pressure wash to get that out.

zandrew
03-05-2014, 05:54 AM
I took mine out and pulled it apart to clean it. There was coke in the buttons making them stick. It took soaking and pressure wash to get that out.

Did it goof your blower fan up? Mine will actually let me select what I want but the fan 95% time does not function. The little fan indicator at the bottom will go up and down on its own.

MrSnickelsnizer
03-05-2014, 08:08 AM
Zandrew I am pretty certain your issue is your G89 sensor. Sounds like you are having same issues I was having with mine. Here is a basic write up I did on Audiforums. Mine was possessed just like yours and drove me up a wall. I didn't list it as one of the common symptoms now that I look back at it :/ Here is the link if you need it.
http://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-models-69/g89-fresh-air-intake-temperature-sensor-replacement-200537/

Mad Cow
03-05-2014, 10:08 AM
The way I always clean faceplates is I take them apart completely, buttons and all and I soak everything in a mixture of warm water and simple green. Then I wash them down and go over all the crevices with a simple green soaked qtip.

As for the blower, it could be that the motor is hosed. I had a similar issue with my old e36, the blower wouldn't work if it was cold or humid. I ended up replacing the brushes which brought it back to life. Posting the exact code would help though.

zandrew
03-09-2014, 06:16 PM
On my Depo headlights I have an extra bulb socket (I think) in the reflector of the high beam. What the hell is this for? I also noticed with the plug cables and what not I have 2 extra plugs cables. I am assuming one is for this light socket but am confused what the other is for.

Seerlah
03-09-2014, 06:29 PM
City driving lights. Why didn't you just repair the tabs on the Valeos? I also run 55w 5000k HIDs in my Valeo Ecode halogen housings. makes a huge difference over halogen bulbs.

http://s17.postimg.org/nxoiw3m2n/fog_lights.jpg

zandrew
03-09-2014, 09:01 PM
I wanted the black outs. The lower mount is broken as well on the pass side. They are Valeo's though.

For the city light though can I use different lights? I am confused over the 2 different extra lights plugs though.