PDA

View Full Version : Questions about a test pipe install and heated seats

LaCross
03-02-2014, 04:21 PM
Greetings, AZ people!

Two questions for you guys:

What is the easiest way to install a test pipe with a lift available? If i drop the whole exhaust , do I need to remove the pass side motor mount?
And
The heating element in my drivers seat takes forever to heat up and only heats up very mildly. My passenger one works perfectly. Is there a way to swap the heating elements?

Koldham
03-02-2014, 05:06 PM
i actually just installed my test pipe. i dont have a lift but i dropped the entire exhaust and pulled it back at the same time (you will see)until the bottom bolts were in line with the underbody. then just put in those bolts and slide the whole thing back up then attached it to the turbo

Weehe
03-02-2014, 05:09 PM
1) It's super easy, just take out the cat and swap in the test pipe. You might want to loosen the exhaust from the hangers to make it easier to line up.
2) Not sure, but don't think you can remove the heating element.

LaCross
03-02-2014, 05:13 PM
Yea. Its the CAT to DP bolts that are a major pain in the ass

Koldham
03-02-2014, 05:48 PM
You might be able to undo your down pipe connection and not have to drop the entire exhaust. Otherwise the passenger tire has to come off. I cant see any other way to do it. Somebody wiser than I may have a better way

LaCross
03-02-2014, 06:16 PM
Another question. Would 17 inch wheels with 225/55/17 tires fit on a b5? im lowered on h&r springs

BaseDrifter
03-02-2014, 06:28 PM
Disconnect the cat from the turbo, disconnect the DP clamp, wiggle and lower the whole assembly down enough so that you can reach the 3rd bolt more easily to separate the cat from DP. The nuts are welded to the cat so you do not have to back them up.

You can fix or replace your heated seats. What often happens it that the wires in the heating element get broken over time, the fix is to open the seat up and fix the wiring or replace the element. You could also swap the seat cushion from passenger to driver.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/518693-OEM-Heated-seat-element-repar-writeup-for-a-B5-S4

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec177.shtml

coolgraymemo
03-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Another question. Would 17 inch wheels with 225/55/17 tires fit on a b5? im lowered on h&r springs

Nah b.

LaCross
03-02-2014, 06:43 PM
What tire size am i looking at for 17 inch wheels? 215/45/17?

Mad Cow
03-02-2014, 06:58 PM
45 is ideal, 50 might fit based on offset and tire width (I ran 225/50 for a while but there was barely a couple mm between the tire and upright.) If you're in the rust belt like me chances are your cat-DP bolts are toast so you'll have to pull the whole thing, I was actually able to get mine out through the top.

Wraith600
03-03-2014, 07:41 AM
Heated seats are a huge pain in the ass to do I found. I tore apart a spare I got from a parts car and it wasn't as smooth as I expected. As well, the heated element is glued to the foam so you can't really take it off and replace it. You need to replace the entire seat base foam and all.

I decided to just swap the entire seat instead or take it out and have a guy that knows how to do upholstery with the proper tools like hog ring pliers to put it back together right then reinstall it myself.

LaCross
03-03-2014, 04:24 PM
Is there any ebay brand smic that is available? for the mk4 jetta there is one that's only $130. Could this be modified to fit?

Mad Cow
03-03-2014, 04:45 PM
From what I've seen in pictures the biggest difference between mk4 and b5 SMIC is the endtanks and in/outlets, in the B5 they both point straight up and in the MK4 one points up and the other's at an angle. Take a look at some pictures and you'll get the idea. Unless you can tig weld, or know someone who will do it for free it's not really worth it since you'll end up spending more than a good FMIC that will flow and cool much better than an ebay SMIC.

LaCross
03-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Yea but with a fmic you need to chop up the bumper and move the ps cooler

LaCross
03-04-2014, 08:24 AM
What about using one of the S4 intercoolers? On one of them, both inlet/outlet are pointing in the same direction. Im thinking with some hose work maybe this could fit?