PDA

View Full Version : What Ebay Vagcom cable has been shown to work?

A1 A2 German
02-27-2014, 03:43 PM
My car was outta of commission for 6 days due to simply needing a 60 second throttle body adaption [rolleyes]. Hundreds of times pulling power this time was different, who knows why that time however it leaves me wary of pulling the battery again to do the simplest of work with no Vagcom. Till I figure out what direction I'm going when purchasing a full version I need be able to do a tba if needed with VCDS-lite.

There's a huge volume of cables on Ebay, I just need one to get the job done and not worried about the features a full version would give. What cable has shown to work?

fed0ra
02-27-2014, 04:35 PM
If you unplug the battery for a while until it resets the ecu, plug the battery back in and put the key in the accessory position it should do a tba. I've done it dozens of times.

zandrew
02-27-2014, 04:46 PM
That does not do a TBA at all. Just resets the ECU. I have had te same issue so I am very much interested in which cable works. I have Maestro but the motor has to be running for it to work.

I didn't think you can do a TBA with the lite vesion? You have to be able to access measuring blocks to do it.

Seerlah
02-27-2014, 04:54 PM
^Yes it does. Not sure if it applies to the DBC though. I've only use my Vag Com once to do a TBA and did it the way described every other time. And only time I did it with Vag Com was to just see how the process works. Did it with the key in the starting position every other time. You hear a high pitched humming come from the TB. When it stops, the adaption is over.

fed0ra
02-27-2014, 05:02 PM
Yea I have DBW and can't make any guarantees that it works on DBC if OP has an AEB, but it definitely works on my car.

zandrew
02-27-2014, 07:01 PM
^Yes it does. Not sure if it applies to the DBC though. I've only use my Vag Com once to do a TBA and did it the way described every other time. And only time I did it with Vag Com was to just see how the process works. Did it with the key in the starting position every other time. You hear a high pitched humming come from the TB. When it stops, the adaption is over.

Yes but you have done the adaptation already which the ECU saves. If the adaptation goes bad over time then you have to run a new adaptation or this is how it was explained to me by Rosstech.

Basically if you adapt the TB and drive it for awhile then work on it and pull the battey, etc once you hook everything back up it just resets to what you already had. However if you swap out the TB for another one then the same adaptation will not work for both the same way (unless you are extremely lucky).

There is a difference between needing the throttle body adapted and just having it reset to the last adpatation.

Seerlah
02-27-2014, 07:25 PM
I just learned something new.

bern_10
02-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Interesting about the TBA in terms of resetting new vs what was the last adaption. I just had the throttle body off and figured the key in the ignition worked for the adaption.

AudiB5owner
02-27-2014, 09:44 PM
Personally I like the FTDI FT232RL usb obd2 cable because I can use it for tuning with nefmoto flasher.

Any ELM 327 usb obd2 cable should work (blue or black). I got a couple different types and all of them work on Windows 8 when you install the drivers.

Don't know what I'd do without VCDS, so much you can do with the program. You can even sweep all the needles on the dash with output tests.

TheCheng
02-27-2014, 10:27 PM
vag com ebay cable with vag com 409.1 or 311.2

RoadRage
02-28-2014, 08:42 AM
I've had this one (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00871CJ1W/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3DJOU4W23PQA1&coliid=I1UN0EU4LVPBVK) on my Amazon Wish List for a while now.

Everyone in the comments says it doesn't work with windows 7 except for the top jabroni who's yelling at you and says it works. I don't know who to believe.

How much are the cables on ebay?

Also, I'm DBC and I tried the TBA with the key in the ignition thing and it didn't work. I had to get a code scanner and do it through it.

woolveren
02-28-2014, 12:10 PM
I bought this cable from ebay(not the same seller) which is working flawlessly for the last 2 yrs on WINDOWS 7 with VCDS lite.

Whoever tells that it doesn't work on Win 7 doesn't know how to install a driver properly.

Jake@JHM
02-28-2014, 12:13 PM
THIS (http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/vag-cable-generic-usb-p-127.html)one works!

A1 A2 German
03-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Alright, just bought the Amazon cable, I would'a rather of given my money to JHM yet saw the cable doesn't support B7's and actually looking to buy a B7 so couldn't pass up the $9.50 Amazon cable.

Now I have to browse CL for a cheap laptop, Windows 7 and or XP, or strictly Windows 7 for that cable?

Jake@JHM
03-06-2014, 05:41 PM
Alright, just bought the Amazon cable, I would'a rather of given my money to JHM yet saw the cable doesn't support B7's and actually looking to buy a B7 so couldn't pass up the $9.50 Amazon cable.

Now I have to browse CL for a cheap laptop, Windows 7 and or XP, or strictly Windows 7 for that cable?

Will the Amazon cable support the B7? Link to it?

A1 A2 German
03-06-2014, 05:52 PM
^

No, don't think so. I was trying to say, I'd wait to buy an all in one nice one from you guys once you get the B7 sorted out, and will just use the cheap $9 unit incase I have to get my car started till then.

A1 A2 German
03-08-2014, 10:34 AM
Anyone know what operating system I should shoot for?

To be honest, this will most likley be a garage rat laptop, strictly for Vagcom.

Jake@JHM
03-08-2014, 11:14 AM
Anyone know what operating system I should shoot for?

To be honest, this will most likley be a garage rat laptop, strictly for Vagcom.

Windows XP

AudiB5owner
03-08-2014, 07:54 PM
THIS (http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/vag-cable-generic-usb-p-127.html)one works!

Wow, that is a lot for that cable. I have a bunch of different ones bought off of eBay, including the FT232RL chipped one and every single one works with Windows and the B5. For some reason the cheap $8 one I bought is faster than the FT232RL. Unless you do insane logging with NefmotoME7 you don't need a super expensive cable. Really you won't have problems with most cheap interfaces on a B5.

Bryler
03-09-2014, 09:08 AM
For those that mention having a windows compatibility problem, my buddy has a version of xp on his thumb drive that he can plug into any computer and it boots xp from the thumb drive. If anyone is interested I can ask him where he got it and if vagcom software can be added to it so that any computer should work. he is a computer guru so he would know how to do it.

Royal769sr
03-09-2014, 09:40 AM
Why not buy by the real cable and support ross tech for helping us out. ?

A1 A2 German
03-09-2014, 09:46 AM
Why not buy by the real cable and support ross tech for helping us out. ?

Because I'm not spending $300 (or what ever high price they are) currently for a cord for a 60 second tba which I may never ever need to do again.

thermostate82
03-09-2014, 12:29 PM
I got mine from amazon and it works with windows xp and windows 8 just fine!

A1 A2 German
03-09-2014, 12:45 PM
O.k. thanks. So is it just Windows 7 that is ~iffy (some same works great, some don't).

To be honest I could kinda couldn't care less as just gonna be a garage rat laptop. But if I found a $50-$80 laptop and had other then XP I wouldn't wanna pass it up, however if Windows 7 is ~iffy I'd pass as I'd know XP is a sure bet and no sense chancing it, but if Windows 8 was solid I'm good with that too.

Dam coffee :).

AudiB5owner
03-09-2014, 12:55 PM
Windows 8 works with most interfaces. Most cables has self install drivers so you don't have to hunt for one online. Can't understand why someone would spend $300 on a KKl cable lol, the CAN-HEX ones cost so much because the Ross tech software is proprietary making it only work with their cables.

Coffee is good [up]