PDA

View Full Version : Does a stock A4 B5 1.8T throw you back in your seat?

OldAudiA4
02-27-2014, 02:39 AM
I'm driving a stock A4 B5 1.8T with approx 130,000km on the odo.
The only other turbo car I have ever driven was a Nissan Silvia with a RB20DET in it out of a Skyline R32 GTS-T. That engine was also stock with about 90,000km on the odo.

The AEB is rated at 110kW and 220Nm.
The RB20DET is rated at 158kW and 264Nm.

I believe the AEB stock produces 7psi.
I believe the RB20DET stock produces 10psi.

Both cars weigh approximately the same.

I clearly remember the Nissan throwing you back in the seat as the turbo was producing boost. My Audi doesn't. There is a slight surge of torque as the turbo starts spooling but then it's pretty flat in regards of throwing you back in your seat during the mid to high rev range.

Do your Audi's throw you back in your seat or are they fairly flat/smooth in the top end? I am paranoid that I may have a boost leak and may not even be producing 7psi. When letting your foot off the accelerator, there is a slight fluttering sound. Not a loud fluttering sound like what you hear on a turbo car with no blow off valve but a very silent one. Similar to how a cricket sounds at night!

ytrezzzz
02-27-2014, 02:48 AM
chip it if you want to feel it push nicely

OldAudiA4
02-27-2014, 02:52 AM
I'm happy with it being stock. I'm not looking for a sports type car but I would like to have the car running upto stock spec. As in running the 7psi boost instead of something lower. Just wondering if my perceived lack of power is due to a boost leak or something not working in the turbo system.

terraflata
02-27-2014, 04:00 AM
Same power, different characteristics, and different drive trains. The Silvia will naturally feel that way being rwd. If you have a boost gauge you would know what your pushing. Buy one, or do a leakdown test, either way buy one. Stock they are not push you in your seat power, chipped they drive like they should have form the factory.

fed0ra
02-27-2014, 05:44 AM
While I can't comment on whether you have a boost leak or not I can tell you that the car's lackluster performance is just how it performs when it's stock. If you want any sort of "throw you back in your seat" feeling you have to at least chip it. You still won't have a sports car but you will have a lot more oomph.

Koldham
02-27-2014, 06:08 AM
no

seanf86
02-27-2014, 06:55 AM
My aeb is a dog, bone stock surges to 10 max and falls off to 7 pretty quick, you can see the boost climb and accelerate but it def won't throw you back in your seat like my chipped b6 does. I'd say there is nothing wrong with your car

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

woolveren
02-28-2014, 12:45 PM
My car does it when in 3rd or 4th gear under sudden acceleration, the turbo was replaced with a new K03 unit two yrs ago..

coolgraymemo
02-28-2014, 12:50 PM
Nah b.