PDA

View Full Version : B5 A4 or B6 A4 - Basic Commuting Car

AnimalVZ9
02-26-2014, 09:04 AM
Everyone,

Been a long time since I visited this forum, now a regular in the C6 A6/S6 forum as I have a C6 S6. It's a great car, I love it, BUT I do drive a lot for business and commuting. As a result, I want to scoop up a more basic used A4 for more everyday use, keep miles and maintenance costs on the S6 down. With that said, had a 99 B5 A4 2.8q back in the day and an 04 A4 3.0q avant years back, as well. So certainly not new to these platforms.

I'm thinking in the 80k-100k range for either, with reasonable maintenance records and big items like timing belt/water pump and control arms, etc. being done. Is this a suitable mileage range if upkeep was pretty good? What else should I be looking for? Reliability wise is it smarter to go with the 2.8 or 3.0 to avoid turbo mishaps or is it one and the same? I won't really be modding this car so its more a reliability thing and not tuneability.

Price wise, I'm in SF Bay Area, and feel a B5 A4 in that mileage range is feasible at $4500 and B6 A4 in that mileage could be found in the $6000-7000 range. Agreed?

Thanks all

SN95Audi87
02-26-2014, 09:26 AM
I would think the 1.8T would give you the range you want with great gas mileage with decent power, only problem is finding one that is in great condition that has its maintenance records. The only thing that sucks is when they are stock the passing power is not great unless modded to a certain degree. The V6 platforms are great, but they are harder to work on then the I4's.

seanf86
02-26-2014, 10:23 AM
Having both currently a b5 2.8 and 1.8 as well as a b6 1.8 hands down the b6 is the more comfortable car and would say pick that up over a b5, however my b6 has given me way more headaches than my b5

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

LINDW4LL
02-26-2014, 10:29 AM
Get a B6 or B7. B6 interior is much nicer than the B5s.

If I were you I'd spend a bit extra and get a B7 as you can find those for around $8000 or so through private party.

speedydragon
02-26-2014, 10:40 AM
imo, it depends on how long you plan to keep the car. If it's for long term, then I would suggest to pay a bit more and opt for a b7 a4 3.2 or even a mk5 jetta tdi. If paying a bit more is not an option, then a b6 3.0 would be my next option. I would not suggest a b5 as they're getting old and most will have had multiple owners; and it's hard to gauge how the car was treated throughout its life with multiple owners. Lastly, if you're able to open up to more options other than Audi, and are looking for a car to rack up miles without worrying about maintenance, I highly suggest a mk4 golf tdi. Those cars are known to last forever and are holding up their value pretty well.

AnimalVZ9
02-26-2014, 11:23 AM
Thanks all

How about an 04 USP 1.8t w only 88k miles? Timing and all has been done. Pretty good condition in and out. Sports package. I haven't seen many B5s that excite me much as they approach 13-15yrs of life
What is a fair range for a car of that nature? $7000?

@speedydragon I agree with you. Although the B7 concept makes sense it starts to become more than is necessary, its pretty standard highway commuting and i have a low mileage S6 in the garage so don't need to go too crazy... I hope and expect to keep it 12-18 months but I have car A.D.D. regardless. Given that fact I'm leaning more and more towards B6 as the happy medium

SN95Audi87
02-26-2014, 11:38 AM
Thanks all

How about an 04 USP 1.8t w only 88k miles? Timing and all has been done. Pretty good condition in and out. Sports package. I haven't seen many B5s that excite me much as they approach 13-15yrs of life
What is a fair range for a car of that nature? $7000?

@speedydragon I agree with you. Although the B7 concept makes sense it starts to become more than is necessary, its pretty standard highway commuting and i have a low mileage S6 in the garage so don't need to go too crazy... I hope and expect to keep it 12-18 months but I have car A.D.D. regardless. Given that fact I'm leaning more and more towards B6 as the happy medium

B5's are nice simple cars but its getting rare coming across one that is clean and well maintained. If you can find one that doesn't have a million miles on it and it in the 00-01 range, that will be a great little commuter. I bought mine 4 years ago, but now they are in that 12+ bracket, its hard to find ones that aren't beat up. To me a 1.8T late model B5 is a cost effective solution. Unless your willing to spend more on b6/b7.

ECS Tuning-Audi
02-26-2014, 01:31 PM
I commute 80 miles a day round trip just for work. I will say I do enjoy driving my B6. It's had a few bugs but nothing major. I bought mine with the timing belt/water pump service already done and dealership maintained it's whole life basically.

I was lucky. Even in stock form the 2003-2005 have decent passing power on the highway IMO.

Jason

SN95Audi87
02-27-2014, 06:14 AM
I commute 80 miles a day round trip just for work. I will say I do enjoy driving my B6. It's had a few bugs but nothing major. I bought mine with the timing belt/water pump service already done and dealership maintained it's whole life basically.

I was lucky. Even in stock form the 2003-2005 have decent passing power on the highway IMO.

Jason

Only downfall with mine is that the passing power is weak for my gen, easily correctable but for someone who really want to keep it relatively stock its like pulling teeth.

ECS Tuning-Audi
02-28-2014, 06:55 AM
Only downfall with mine is that the passing power is weak for my gen, easily correctable but for someone who really want to keep it relatively stock its like pulling teeth.

A chip tune really wakes the B5 up. Stock boost level is 8-9 psi. That's hardly anything, B6 models run slightly higher boost which is why the passing power is a little better. A chip gives it just enough to pass cars with ease while still maintaining reliability.

Jason

SN95Audi87
02-28-2014, 09:19 AM
A chip tune really wakes the B5 up. Stock boost level is 8-9 psi. That's hardly anything, B6 models run slightly higher boost which is why the passing power is a little better. A chip gives it just enough to pass cars with ease while still maintaining reliability.

Jason

Whats the reliability rate with the chip tune cars. I always heard weird horror stories about chipped cars. I just want to be able to turn the key every day and go, last I want is a software issue ya know.

speedydragon
03-01-2014, 09:04 PM
Whats the reliability rate with the chip tune cars. I always heard weird horror stories about chipped cars. I just want to be able to turn the key every day and go, last I want is a software issue ya know.

As long as you go with a "known" software companies like Unitronic, APR or GIAC, you will not experience the horror stories that b5 S4 owners experience. APR is known for their well engineered and conservative tunes. I had an APR chip, it was amazing over stock...until I wanted more haha. Most of the blown turbo stories occur with the B5 S4 due to heat and a inadequate design with cooling the two turbos; it's rare to see 1.8ts with k03s malfunctioning due to a tune.

pichno
03-02-2014, 02:32 PM
As long as you go with a "known" software companies like Unitronic, APR or GIAC, you will not experience the horror stories that b5 S4 owners experience. APR is known for their well engineered and conservative tunes. I had an APR chip, it was amazing over stock...until I wanted more haha. Most of the blown turbo stories occur with the B5 S4 due to heat and a inadequate design with cooling the two turbos; it's rare to see 1.8ts with k03s malfunctioning due to a tune.

I think it's fair to say Speedtuning is on par with the APR/GIAC club in terms of Stage 1 or 2 with the A4's and their stock K03. I personally had my 01 A4 1.8 tuned 5 years ago for 150 buks, no problems at all with the tune. I've driven GIAC & APR tunes for the 1.8T (Stg. 1 & 2) and the ST is identical in nature, but at a fraction of the price.

One downfall would be sending in the ECU to ST, but since the price is right, and I've yet to hear of issues with the overnight shipping service there and back, IMO ST would be a no-brainer. I can understand if someone isn't comfortable in doing so, but I've sent my ECU to them twice without any issues, same goes for many other people.

The second downfall with ST would be the upgraded to BT possibility, however according to this thread it would be a Stage 1/2 at most, so this concern doesn't seem applicable. Honestly, I'm shocked ST hasn't been grouped together with some of these other companies for the Stage 1/2 software more often, it's on par like I said and at a fraction of the price.

Heck, I'm running ST K04 on stock injector program and also love it, again $150 because I'm a returning customer. So, I've spent $300 on two tunes, and a total of $60 on shipping for those tunes, a grand total of $360...can't beat it for what I wanted. BT situations would require doing business with a different company, but if sticking to the stock K03, ST would get my vote everytime.

SN95Audi87
03-03-2014, 11:59 AM

Good information to know.