PDA

View Full Version : Best bang for the buck handling mods?

LaCross
02-25-2014, 09:47 AM
I do solemnly swear that I did search! I just wasn't satisfied with the results.

Car info:
99 A4 TQM , AEB engine
Lowered on H&R springs only (p/o did it)
The rest of my suspension is stock

So my question is,

For the money, what are the best suspension mods for HANDLING?

I know sway bars are one. But which sway bar setup is the best?

pac1085
02-25-2014, 09:56 AM
rear sway bar is probably the best bet.

h-sport?

Optimusglen
02-25-2014, 09:57 AM
Best bang for your buck is good performance driving lessons on a track and good tires.

Next weight loss, light wheels (less unsprung weight), and new-or-better condition of suspension components (i.e. not much use putting money into springs/shocks/sways when you have bad bushings)

Then, work on the shocks/springs and sways, adjustable shocks and sways so that you can fine tune your setup. You get what you pay for. Get spring rates that fit your end goal. Ideal spring rates can vary depending on the intended use.

Finally, stiffen up suspension and chassis mounting points, braces etc.

I can't stress enough that training will show the most improvement. I took a 2-day driving course put on by Porsche in Birmingham Alabama, we were driving 911 Carrera S's, Cayman S's, Boxster's etc. At the beginning of the course our teachers could have easily bested many of the students track time with the students in a 911 and the instructor in a Volkswagen Eurovan.

MetalMan
02-25-2014, 10:02 AM
034 Motorsport rear sway bar!

BaseDrifter
02-25-2014, 10:20 AM
Best bang for the buck? An S4 rear sway bar. You should be able to pick one up for less than $100. Can't beat that.

viceprp
02-25-2014, 10:47 AM
At the beginning of the course our teachers could have easily bested many of the students track time with the students in a 911 and the instructor in a Volkswagen Eurovan.

I can't help myself but I found this hilarious.

I have the same suspension and did 034 SD Engine & Tranny mounts (less engine roll), control arms (steering was crisp),19mm Rear Sway Bar (less body roll) and JHM Trio (solid shifting).

The new 034 sway bar is the Bee's knees.

Avant Nate
02-25-2014, 12:28 PM
The funny thing with the 034 rear sway is since there is almost no body roll, when you jack up the front wheel, the whole side of the car comes up.

LaCross
02-25-2014, 12:48 PM
Do I need to replace end links when I upgrade my rear sway bar?

MetalMan
02-25-2014, 01:03 PM
Do I need to replace end links when I upgrade my rear sway bar?

Not necessarily. The stock endlinks are plastic and inherently weaker than other options out there.
I "upgraded" mine to the Meyle HD metal endlinks at the same time I installed the 034 rear sway bar.

AudiB5owner
02-25-2014, 03:11 PM
Wish the S4 RSB would bolt onto FWD without a lot of fabrication. RSB looks like the best suspension upgrade for a start.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Avant Nate
02-25-2014, 03:12 PM
Not necessarily. The stock endlinks are plastic and inherently weaker than other options out there.
I "upgraded" mine to the Meyle HD metal endlinks at the same time I installed the 034 rear sway bar.

I would and did. The way the endlink bolts are, you probably will strip them out when you try to replace them anyway. I ended just sawzalling mine off when I replaced mine. The top bolt comes off fine, its the lower bolt with the 5mm allen key that strips. If you go the 034 route, i highly recommend the support brackets as well.

viceprp
02-25-2014, 04:32 PM
If you go the 034 route, i highly recommend the support brackets as well.

This.

walky_talky20
02-25-2014, 04:39 PM
^Or weld some reinforcements to the subframe. But the 034 brackets are srsly baller.

The 034 rear sway bar is the hot ticket. I tell you.

S4NIK8
02-25-2014, 05:57 PM
Like everyone else has said, make sure the suspension/steering is tight and then sway bars

LaCross
02-26-2014, 09:50 AM
What are these "adjustable upper control arms" all about?

Believer
02-26-2014, 09:58 AM
What are these "adjustable upper control arms" all about?

Correcting camber.

xthealienatorx
02-26-2014, 06:42 PM
Like everyone else has said, make sure the suspension/steering is tight and then sway bars

I'd love tighter steering, I currently have like 1-2 inch of play in my steering annoying as hell, especially when trying to drive smooth so my girlfriend doesn't yell at me for going around corners "too fast." Anybody know what causes this and how I can fix it? I read somewhere about it being the U-joint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Mad Cow
02-26-2014, 09:26 PM
I'd love tighter steering, I currently have like 1-2 inch of play in my steering annoying as hell, especially when trying to drive smooth so my girlfriend doesn't yell at me for going around corners "too fast." Anybody know what causes this and how I can fix it? I read somewhere about it being the U-joint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

If it's not the tie rods it's probably the steering rack. There is a slack adjustment on the rack that could help, I've never done it but it's been documented here.

terraflata
02-27-2014, 04:23 AM
Is it actual slack in the steering wheel or do you turn does it bind before finally turning properly? If it's slack, the above advice will help. Regardless you should lift you car and take a bar to play with your control arms and other suspension components. Check for slack, worn out bushings, etc. All this will contribute to poor handling and feedback.

LaCross
02-27-2014, 06:26 AM
I thought you could only adjust the slack on a FrontTrash car?

BaseDrifter
02-27-2014, 11:59 AM
^Nope, all the racks have a slack adjustment. Bentley manual says to have someone turn the wheel back and forth 30 degrees while someone else listens for clunking at the rack. If there is noise heard, tighten up the adjustment without making the rack so stiff that it doesn't return to center while driving.