PDA

View Full Version : Bang & Olufsen for B5

Bordom
02-24-2014, 02:01 PM
Is it possible to splice together the B&O sound system from a B7/8 A4/S4 from those ebay kits? I'm thinking it would be since most of the panels are around the same size.

I'd imagine there would be a great deal of modification to get it to fit properly. I already have two 12" Alpine subs with their own amp which also powers the rest of the system. Could I splice into that? The amp is 1000w BTW

ElSnake
02-24-2014, 04:24 PM
you can't just splice any speakers together. sounds like you got alot of research to do. and you would realize its probably not worth it.

Size of speakers.
impedance
Wiring
how many channels is the "1000w amp"?
did you mean splice into your amp thats powering your sub to power the speakers?
or splice the preamp output for a new amp?

you are scaring me dude.

Bordom
02-25-2014, 10:03 AM
I got the car already wired up from the PO. As far as I know, there's the one amp powering the subs.

I'm not too sure how many we have to begin with, or how many the B&O come with. From what I've seen there's two?

I'm not very knowledgeable with audio wiring and things that go with it. Could it be done with an aftermarket amp, or a does it have to be a B&O?

walky_talky20
02-25-2014, 10:32 AM
You would really *really* want to get the B&O amp to drive those speakers correctly. Not only is it the correct impedance matching and number of channels, it has a specific equalizer curve to make those speakers sound good. Same deal with our factory Bose systems.

RallyeBourne
02-25-2014, 11:47 AM
X2 on what ElSnake and Walky said. I had a customer in last week that wanted to buy 2 ohm speakers for his amp that was only stable down to 4 ohms. (That's a recipe for disaster). I tried to explain it to him, but he got mad at me and told me he was going elsewhere. I expect to see him back in the near future with a fried amp.

B-Time
02-25-2014, 12:20 PM
Bose option on B7s. No B&O.

Bordom
02-25-2014, 01:51 PM
So assuming i get all the speakers and amps (1500). How much would i expect to pay someone to install the system if we're working with my two subs already?

ElSnake
02-25-2014, 03:25 PM
1500 what dollars? for the BO?

you are better off.
doing something like i did for better sound.

front Component speakers
rear Full-range speakers
10" sub
5 Ch amp

there are tons of ways you can do it. just for 1500$ not worth it.
I would only see you doing the BO conversion if the parts were free. IMO.

walky_talky20
02-25-2014, 03:37 PM
^Agree. Only worth it if the parts are free or very cheap.

Ever wonder why up-rated OEM systems boast 12+ speakers? Is it because more speakers makes for better sound? No. It's because they use crap speakers and just add MORE of them. Then they fix it all in software to make it sound good.

Moving that mess to a different car will never sound as good. And we're not starting with gold either. It is going to be tons of fabrication work to fit the non-standard speakers into a car they weren't meant to fit. Not to mention all the wiring work and integrating the factory amp and all that jazz. It would only make sense if the stuff were free. Or nearly free.

If you are spending that much money, it makes way more sense to buy actual quality components from a real car-audio company. Easier install, better sound, etc.

RallyeBourne
02-25-2014, 03:40 PM
^^This. You can source much better speakers for much less by going to an independent shop near you. A lot of times, you can also get really good deals if you have them install too. Look into Alpine and Memphis Audio. In fact, for $1500, you can have a Memphis Audio system that will make your ears bleed. However, what I love about MA is the lack of Harmonic Distortion. The clarity is out of this world, even when you really crank it.