PDA

View Full Version : blinktek heatshield

Koldham
02-19-2014, 07:07 AM
can anybody with a blinktek heatshield take a pic of it out and laying flat on the ground? im on attempt 4 and it still looks like crap and does'nt fit good.

Matt C
02-19-2014, 07:25 AM
can anybody with a blinktek heatshield take a pic of it out and laying flat on the ground? im on attempt 4 and it still looks like crap and does'nt fit good.

Sounds like you got it right then. I could never get mine to fit on my B5 and ended up practically giving it away.

Koldham
02-19-2014, 07:26 AM
all the pics of them iv seen they look like they fit like a glove. what are they even made of anyways. it looks like aluminum but does it have any insulation on it?

demonmk2
02-19-2014, 09:36 AM
Use cardboard to create a template.

AudiB5owner
02-19-2014, 11:10 AM
I don't get why people are using aluminum and steel for heat shields. That stuff conducts the ambient heat from the cat, engine, and turbo so fast. I really wish I knew how to make thing out of fiberglass, or at least cover my existing heat shield in fiberglass. Going to try using this stuff facing the heat sources: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161213460110

Considering covering my existing heat shield in woven fiberglass mat and painting it with fiberglass resin/catalyst. The bare aluminum gets too hot to be effective in any way.

Cgoon009
02-19-2014, 11:20 AM
I don't get why people are using aluminum and steel for heat shields. That stuff conducts the ambient heat from the cat, engine, and turbo so fast. I really wish I knew how to make thing out of fiberglass, or at least cover my existing heat shield in fiberglass. Going to try using this stuff facing the heat sources: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161213460110

Considering covering my existing heat shield in woven fiberglass mat and painting it with fiberglass resin/catalyst. The bare aluminum gets too hot to be effective in any way.

Heat tape works to stop the heat, metal is durable

AudiB5owner
02-19-2014, 11:35 AM
Yeah metal is definitely durable, I found great success with heat tape (aluminum tape) but IMO it looks horrible lol. I think I am going to give fiberglass a shot, use my shield as a mold so I can stuff the hollow fiberglass cast with fiberglass insulation. Doesn't seem to horrible to try out. My heatshield blocks off the cone filter from the engine and turbo, and has a metal peice under neath the filter. It is all covered in aluminum tape making it look like I stuffed a bunch of aluminum foil in there. Wish me luck with the fiberglass lol.

Cgoon009
02-19-2014, 11:37 AM
Yeah metal is definitely durable, I found great success with heat tape (aluminum tape) but IMO it looks horrible lol. I think I am going to give fiberglass a shot, use my shield as a mold so I can stuff the hollow fiberglass cast with fiberglass insulation. Doesn't seem to horrible to try out. My heatshield blocks off the cone filter from the engine and turbo, and has a metal peice under neath the filter. It is all covered in aluminum tape making it look like I stuffed a bunch of aluminum foil in there. Wish me luck with the fiberglass lol.

Good Luck! Post pics of the process, I would be interested in this.

GOODBYNAAIR
02-19-2014, 11:43 AM
dont know if this will help at all but it is a DIY with specs of a metal heatshield

BOOM (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5592698-Creating-your-own-custom-heat-shield&highlight=heatshield)

AudiB5owner
02-19-2014, 02:40 PM
That heat shield really won't do much. The face of it will become super hot really fast, and whatever insulation is on the other side can only help so much to stop the heat from transferring. Unless you plated both sides of that metal with a ton of heat shield radiant barriers like I posted above, the whole MAF and cone filter will become hot. Not like the cone filter does anything other than sound, but it will cause the IC to heat soak a lot faster if it is always sucking in hot air. The frame itself ( where the struts bolt to ) gets hot. The fiberglassing doesn't look too hard, I need to perfect my current metal heat shield design so I can cover it in resin and fiberglass.

ray4624
02-19-2014, 03:09 PM
Reflecta gold. For ballers only though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skemems
02-19-2014, 03:14 PM
I don't get why people are using aluminum and steel for heat shields. That stuff conducts the ambient heat from the cat, engine, and turbo so fast. [/url].

Aluminum doesnt actually conduct heat as much as steel or other metals. Thats why its used commonly in electronics as heat sinks.
Let us know how your fiberglass works out and how it holds up... might be a better option.

GOODBYNAAIR
02-19-2014, 03:15 PM
If you are in traffic yes everything gets hot but if you are moving that side stays much cooler. on a 75*F day I can drive my car for 30 minutes and then do a pull from 20 to 100 stop as fast as I can get out of the car and the filter and maf are still not even to warm to put my hand on.

Cybersombosis
02-19-2014, 04:03 PM
If I was to build one, I would use two pieces of sheet metal aluminum the same shape and separate them with spacers maybe a 3/16ths apart with washers. That would create a nice air barrier between the two sides to keep the heat out assuming you have it air tight against the hood, floor, front and back. Heck you could even sandwich some insulation in between. I find the reflective tape not appealing to look at so this would be a nice clean install/look.

Doug

Cactus Avant
02-19-2014, 04:10 PM
I have one that my brother made. He based it off of his real blinktek one, and it fits perfectly. It's made of aluminum with heat tape on one side, and rubber around the edges. It works really well, after driving, you can open the hood and feel a difference between the two sides of the shield. I think we even have a half-made one in the basement. Or maybe my brother would sell you one

AudiB5owner
02-19-2014, 04:15 PM
Doug, that design is what I based my first heat shield off of, by sandwiching exhaust wrap and fiberglass insulation between two sides of galvanized metal with 3 pieces on each side. I aluminum taped both sides. It worked pretty well, but looked horrible. Aluminum tape is not my favorite. I think I can get all the supplies for the fiberglass heat shield for around $60. Been wanting something that works well, and looks OEM. I wonder if cutting the passenger side lower grille will help bring in some fresh cool air.

A1 A2 German
02-19-2014, 04:18 PM
I made one:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/Blakelikesfood333/Audi%20Final%20Chapter%20Build/AudiGallery005.jpg (http://s41.photobucket.com/user/Blakelikesfood333/media/Audi%20Final%20Chapter%20Build/AudiGallery005.jpg.html)

Cybersombosis
02-19-2014, 04:20 PM
Ya I wouldn't use tape to hold it together. I would use nice pan head bolts and washers in between. Then finish it off with the spare rubber seal I have from the trunk for the top, bottom and ends. You could also paint it with whatever your engine color is with heat resistant paint. Would be simple for me as it's black.

Doug

melomandn
02-19-2014, 06:37 PM
I have one that my brother made. He based it off of his real blinktek one, and it fits perfectly. It's made of aluminum with heat tape on one side, and rubber around the edges. It works really well, after driving, you can open the hood and feel a difference between the two sides of the shield. I think we even have a half-made one in the basement. Or maybe my brother would sell you one

I was gonna say this and offer it but dont want to get my account suspended...

[>_>]

Koldham
02-22-2014, 10:46 AM
none of ths pictures load in that vortex link, but thats what i want to build just farther forward and not taped together. i was liking that air gap idea. perhaps 2 pieces of metal(steel or aluminum)with layers of fiberglass mat between them? and of course some gold reflective stuff because bling

Koldham
02-22-2014, 10:52 AM

if you could just get the measurements from it. that would be cool