PDA

View Full Version : 98 a4 2.8 no power

yowristband
02-18-2014, 05:09 PM
hey recently got a 98 a4 2.8 and having some issues

bad fuel economy
literally no power at all 0-50kmh take 30 seconds and on the highway maxed out at 105 kmh
when starting will just die unless i hold the gas pedal for 4 minutes than will have a super rough idle

brought it to the shop with the cel came up as
p1602
p1559
p1545
p1198
p1199
p0102
p0160

shop said i needed both the rear 02's and the tb for 1300ish and a maf which was 500

before this
the battery was dead but got a new one
also new alternator in it
after i bought a new maf and out it in and still rough idles haven't driven it cause the acceleration is still the same

are the rear 02's just for fuel economy? because at the point my focus is to get the power back so its actually derivable

thanks any help is much appreciated

http://i.imgur.com/A8GCc74.jpg

turbo3
02-18-2014, 05:35 PM
Sound like clogged converters. Rear O2s just monitor the health of the converters.

GOODBYNAAIR
02-18-2014, 05:49 PM
No power I think its just stock thats how they came from day one[:D] But really I would say the cat would be a start and if its running that bad you may not want to drive it or as little as you can. check your plugs too.

Mad Cow
02-18-2014, 05:56 PM
Did this happen after the battery died? I don't feel like going through and looking up all those codes, but your throttle body could need an adaptation. I had a similar issue after my battery died, after a couple minutes it threw a throttle body related code. Did an adaptation and all was good.

yowristband
02-18-2014, 06:06 PM
No power I think its just stock thats how they came from day one[:D] But really I would say the cat would be a start and if its running that bad you may not want to drive it or as little as you can. check your plugs too.

the plugs and wires are good and i don't drive it, its literally to slow...

yowristband
02-18-2014, 06:07 PM
Did this happen after the battery died? I don't feel like going through and looking up all those codes, but your throttle body could need an adaptation. I had a similar issue after my battery died, after a couple minutes it threw a throttle body related code. Did an adaptation and all was good.

i haven't had the car very long, the one time i did drive before the battery completely died it was super slow still however i don't think it had a rough idle

yowristband
02-18-2014, 06:11 PM
posted photo of codes

Mad Cow
02-18-2014, 06:30 PM
P1559 and P1549 point to a bad throttle body alignment, follow the instructions on the ross-tech wiki on how to do it. The O2 sensor codes are all for the post-cat sensors so that won't affect how the car runs, none of those codes point to a bad cat BTW. P1602 is from the battery dying, and P0102 could be anything from a bad MAF connector to someone forgetting to plug the maf in and trying to start the car.

Clear codes, do a throttle body adaptation, and then go for a couple drives and scan again.

yowristband
02-18-2014, 06:46 PM
P1559 and P1549 point to a bad throttle body alignment, follow the instructions on the ross-tech wiki on how to do it. The O2 sensor codes are all for the post-cat sensors so that won't affect how the car runs, none of those codes point to a bad cat BTW. P1602 is from the battery dying, and P0102 could be anything from a bad MAF connector to someone forgetting to plug the maf in and trying to start the car.

Clear codes, do a throttle body adaptation, and then go for a couple drives and scan again.

okay thanks, ill have to get my hands on a vagcom

turbo3
02-19-2014, 08:14 AM
P1559 and P1549 point to a bad throttle body alignment, follow the instructions on the ross-tech wiki on how to do it. The O2 sensor codes are all for the post-cat sensors so that won't affect how the car runs, none of those codes point to a bad cat BTW . P1602 is from the battery dying, and P0102 could be anything from a bad MAF connector to someone forgetting to plug the maf in and trying to start the car.

If the sensors are good and working properly, yes that does point to a bad cat

Mad Cow
02-19-2014, 09:47 AM
If the sensors are good and working properly, yes that does point to a bad cat

How so? It's 2 heater circuit codes and 1 no activity code. Which of those points to a bad cat?

turbo3
02-20-2014, 02:53 AM
How so? It's 2 heater circuit codes and 1 no activity code. Which of those points to a bad cat?

At the time of me posting that reply, I had not looked up the codes in nor were they posted up (I wasn't gonna look them up either lol). That's why I said if the sensors are working properly. In this case they're not so my statement in now void.

yowristband
02-22-2014, 11:36 AM
so one shop said they would clean it and readapt it for 90$ however the guy who i already brought it to said he thinks i need a new one which will be 500$ now the question is do i try and clean it for way less or just buy the new part

frozenpuppy
02-23-2014, 02:36 PM
Ignore all o2 sensor codes for now, and ignore Battery error. Batt error will stay on after your car runs out of juice or from disconnecting battery until reset. those rear 02s are prob. bad but have no effect on your consumption of fuel. Ignore them for now. I don't think you need a TB cleaning, as they really don't get junked up too often. What it seems like to me is that your TB needs a throttle body alignment that is possible to do in vag com, or that your mechanic put your car in "on" and yanked on the TB arm, which actually caused that code for me once making it need a alignment. Look on rosstech website for info on that. As far as I can see your only other issue lies in your MAF, which could either need a cleaning, or a new sensor. You're not throwing lean codes which is a blessing on this motor. Start with these two things and go from there. As for your o2's, voltimeter test two prongs (forget which ones) and the ohms should be around 7ish if i remember correctly, but i have a strong feeling you will not even have continuity. The prongs can be found at the harness connectors right behind your air intake on the firewall, you're looking for the green and brown connector. Make sure you test them at the sensor wire side, not the ECM harness.

yowristband
02-23-2014, 03:03 PM
Ignore all o2 sensor codes for now, and ignore Battery error. Batt error will stay on after your car runs out of juice or from disconnecting battery until reset. those rear 02s are prob. bad but have no effect on your consumption of fuel. Ignore them for now. I don't think you need a TB cleaning, as they really don't get junked up too often. What it seems like to me is that your TB needs a throttle body alignment that is possible to do in vag com, or that your mechanic put your car in "on" and yanked on the TB arm, which actually caused that code for me once making it need a alignment. Look on rosstech website for info on that. As far as I can see your only other issue lies in your MAF, which could either need a cleaning, or a new sensor. You're not throwing lean codes which is a blessing on this motor. Start with these two things and go from there. As for your o2's, voltimeter test two prongs (forget which ones) and the ohms should be around 7ish if i remember correctly, but i have a strong feeling you will not even have continuity. The prongs can be found at the harness connectors right behind your air intake on the firewall, you're looking for the green and brown connector. Make sure you test them at the sensor wire side, not the ECM harness.

ya im ignoring the 02's for now because there not affecting the power cause i timed it and it took the car 12 seconds to reach 30kmh (18mph) which is ridiculous. i already put in a new maf and air intake with filter (when i bought the car it wasnt stock, and dont have the stock air box) which didn't really so much... it sounded better and today i just actually got to the tb which was a bitch anyways it was pretty gunked so im going to clean it tomorrow and try and get someone off kijiji to do the realignment since i dont have the software, ill post a pic of my tb

yowristband
02-23-2014, 03:04 PM
http://i.imgur.com/0Jn4khJ.png