PDA

View Full Version : How do i tighten this

TylerB5973
02-18-2014, 12:17 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/19/ve2asyze.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/19/y8a8esep.jpg

This is where the knocking is coming from pretty sure. How do i tighten it? Like jack stand wise or is there a secret

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

audi49
02-18-2014, 12:21 PM
What exactly is loose? That's a tie rod end. If there's play in the joint itself, then you may need a new tie rod. How many miles on that tie rod? Is it original with the car?

TylerB5973
02-18-2014, 12:36 PM
Yeah and 112xxx and when car was down i can push car down and it makes clunk sound and it feels like thats whats loose

TylerB5973
02-18-2014, 12:37 PM
What exactly is loose? That's a tie rod end. If there's play in the joint itself, then you may need a new tie rod. How many miles on that tie rod? Is it original with the car?

Read comment above. If you if you think its something else lmk. It makes car shake while driving sometimes but on highway it isnt bad at all

bhusted
02-18-2014, 01:40 PM
The first thing to do is to start soaking those two bolts in penetrating oil. The top bolt pulls the joint up tight in the upright, while the side ways one is what actually holds it. There is a slot cut into the side of the joint that the horizontal bolt passes through.

Chances are that the joint itself has gone bad, causing the vibration and clunking you hear. With the wheel on the car but off the ground, grab the wheel at 9 and 3 and try to turn the wheel by hand. If you feel any play, the joint is bad. Depending how much you like your tires, you're most likely going to need an alignment after replacing the joint, so you might as well inspect/replace the other side too.

TylerB5973
02-18-2014, 01:55 PM
The first thing to do is to start soaking those two bolts in penetrating oil. The top bolt pulls the joint up tight in the upright, while the side ways one is what actually holds it. There is a slot cut into the side of the joint that the horizontal bolt passes through.

Chances are that the joint itself has gone bad, causing the vibration and clunking you hear. With the wheel on the car but off the ground, grab the wheel at 9 and 3 and try to turn the wheel by hand. If you feel any play, the joint is bad. Depending how much you like your tires, you're most likely going to need an alignment after replacing the joint, so you might as well inspect/replace the other side too.

Im going to do that. Playing with the suspension like moving it with wheel off it seems to be my rotor is moving up and down alitte? Is that normal ? Ive never had a quattro and everything ive done already had weird stuff

walky_talky20
02-18-2014, 06:05 PM
The rotor will be loose when the wheel isn't bolted to the car. That's not weird stuff. That's just normal.

This part that you've identified is the outer tie rod end. This is responsible for attaching your steering wheel to the front wheels, and pointing them in the right direction. Pretty serious stuff. If you don't know what you are doing, I would suggest you employ the services of a qualified mechanic. They do this stuff every day.

Gaberossi
02-19-2014, 11:00 AM
The rotor will be loose when the wheel isn't bolted to the car. That's not weird stuff. That's just normal.

This part that you've identified is the outer tie rod end. This is responsible for attaching your steering wheel to the front wheels, and pointing them in the right direction. Pretty serious stuff. If you don't know what you are doing, I would suggest you employ the services of a qualified mechanic. They do this stuff every day.

This...^^^ Be Careful OP. Tie rod failure can result in losing complete control of your car. I would also suggest an alignment after you get new tie rod ends installed to ensure your tires are maintaining proper contact with the road.