PDA

View Full Version : 2001 2.8 30v burning smell

xthealienatorx
02-17-2014, 03:20 PM
Okay, so my car started making a burning smell, my dad says oil. It lools like there was a small drip going from the left valve cover, i cleaned it up and 2 months later there is nothing back, but it still stinks. I read on bluaparts about the breather hose causing oil leaks and mine was cracked and clogged to shit, so we took breather hose peices from a f150 my dad had laying around and heatshrik to make a new one, while we did this i did my spark plugs. The left side all looked normal, but the right side, the plug socket were covered in oil. Probably about a inch, and it looks like there is a little stream running out over the cover. Do i need to do my valve cover gaskets and spark plug gaskets? Or what else would it be. Also along with all of this, my engine had alot of vibration before i did the plugs, afterwards it was perfect, and now, a month later, its rough again, is the oil causing a bad connection and causing a misfire, and now that i think of it, could the bad connection be burning the oil that is aroumd the plug? Also the power has gone down with the vibration, which leads me to believe it is a missfire. Im going to put on my girlfriends dad's computer tomorrow to see if i have any codes. Im doing a full timing belt change when the weather warms up so i can do the valve covers then.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Bordom
02-17-2014, 04:12 PM
You could have a cracked intake on the right side. Not big enough to be visible, but enough to slowly leak out and screw your engine.

Nate01A4
02-17-2014, 06:21 PM
look under the intake manifold. there is an aluminum cover attached to the block. the oil squirters are under the cover. when the cover leaks oil will pool on top and run out the back of the engine. it then drips down onto your exhaust. making it smell very bad. Im guessing the smell is stronger while going down the highway at high RPMs when oil pressure is high. I could not find the gasket, so i made one. Good luck

Nate01A4
02-17-2014, 06:26 PM
here is a picture of the top of the block. found it on ebay. maybe it will help.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Block-2-8-30v-V6-AHA-ATQ-99-01-Audi-A4-A6-VW-Passat-/310354577829

Cgoon009
02-17-2014, 07:26 PM
if your plugs are covered in oil, you may need to examine the VCs, sounds like you have a bad seal.

xthealienatorx
02-17-2014, 08:02 PM
look under the intake manifold. there is an aluminum cover attached to the block. the oil squirters are under the cover. when the cover leaks oil will pool on top and run out the back of the engine. it then drips down onto your exhaust. making it smell very bad. Im guessing the smell is stronger while going down the highway at high RPMs when oil pressure is high. I could not find the gasket, so i made one. Good luck

The smell is the worst when idling. At highway speeds it's fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

xthealienatorx
02-17-2014, 08:04 PM
if your plugs are covered in oil, you may need to examine the VCs, sounds like you have a bad seal.

I was thinking center valve cover gaskets, I just wanted to get so more opinions before I spend another 90 dollars on the valve covers.

Cgoon009
02-17-2014, 08:56 PM
I was thinking center valve cover gaskets, I just wanted to get so more opinions before I spend another 90 dollars on the valve covers.

I understand that, the kit will have all the seals you need. Oil in the plug housing is almost always caused by the center seal. It can absolutely cause poor performance. So it sounds like your diagnosis is correct. ECS should have what you need.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

dbeeerggg
02-17-2014, 09:00 PM
Sounds like the VC's to me and maybe the belly plug on the back of the block as well. The kit should come with EVERYTHING needed.

bhusted
02-17-2014, 10:47 PM
Yup. Sounds like valve cover leaks. The passenger side drips onto the exhaust, which is just below cabin air inlet. When you're doing the gasket, make sure you do all of the seals while you're in there. In addition to the gaskets, you'll need the tool for compressing the chain tensioners.

Inner/Outer gaskets
Cam plugs
Cam Chain tensioner gasket
Half moon seal

xthealienatorx
02-18-2014, 03:45 AM
Yup. Sounds like valve cover leaks. The passenger side drips onto the exhaust, which is just below cabin air inlet. When you're doing the gasket, make sure you do all of the seals while you're in there. In addition to the gaskets, you'll need the tool for compressing the chain tensioners.

Inner/Outer gaskets
Cam plugs
Cam Chain tensioner gasket
Half moon seal

What are the cam chain tensioner tools? Im going to get the timing belt kit and valve cover kit from europa parts (unless anyone knows better) and the cost is already like $580.. And my dad has lots of random tools so we may have something that would work

Cgoon009
02-18-2014, 07:59 AM
What are the cam chain tensioner tools? Im going to get the timing belt kit and valve cover kit from europa parts (unless anyone knows better) and the cost is already like $580.. And my dad has lots of random tools so we may have something that would work

ECS Tuning
FCP Euro
Blauparts

bhusted
02-18-2014, 08:45 AM
The tensioner tool is a specialized tool to compress the tensioner before removal to replace the gasket. You can find them all over, but here is an example.

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-volkswagen-cam-chain-tensioner-retainer-cta-2874?gclid=CPy7gK6P1rwCFc5hfgodABoAOw