PDA

View Full Version : No power period.....help

A4Rollin
02-17-2014, 04:50 AM
Hey guys, last night when I went to start my car it had absolutely no power. (No power locks, no dash lights, nothing) it ran fine an hour before that. However, when I did try to crank it, dash lights came on for a quick second like normal and then within a snap of a finger absolutely no power before I went to crank it. We tried to jump her, nothing. Tried to charge it for awhile, nothing. Battery connections were fine...

Is it possible to have a DEAD battery considering the battery itself is 6 months old??
Or maybe I should be looking for a certain blown fuse??
Id like to think this has nothing to do with the alternator....

Thanks for any help as always guys!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

ricekikr
02-17-2014, 07:24 AM
Loose ground.
J271 main relay.

A4Rollin
02-17-2014, 08:26 AM
Where would I find that? 2001 a4.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Mad Cow
02-17-2014, 09:15 AM
Loose ground.
J271 main relay.

J271 is the ECU relay, it wouldn't do anything aside from not turning the ECU on. What's the battery voltage at?

ricekikr
02-17-2014, 09:48 AM
J271 is the ECU relay, it wouldn't do anything aside from not turning the ECU on.

Ah yes. OP disregard my post about j271. Slipped my mind, zero power.

Check the little wire that bolts on the main positive cable terminal on top of the battery. Make sure its tight with a wrench. I just cant remember if causes a no-start or zero-power.

A4Rollin
02-17-2014, 12:11 PM
Battery was completely shot, got it jumped again and was able to get a new battery

pipowned
02-17-2014, 10:04 PM
I'm having this same issue, but I can jump my car, drive it where I need to be and as soon as I turn it off. it's have to be jumped again. I also noticed that when I hit rough patches in the road like butt clenching rough patches my car would shut off and then turn back on all while still rolling. sorry for the thread jack. I've tried charging the battery and a new battery.

TDR
02-17-2014, 10:37 PM
I'm having this same issue, but I can jump my car, drive it where I need to be and as soon as I turn it off. it's have to be jumped again. I also noticed that when I hit rough patches in the road like butt clenching rough patches my car would shut off and then turn back on all while still rolling. sorry for the thread jack. I've tried charging the battery and a new battery.

Loose connections. Dodgy alternator. These are your possibilities. More likely the former than the latter.

pipowned
02-17-2014, 10:43 PM
I've check connections on the battery terminals including the ground, I'm gonna make the assumption that it's the alternator. thanks for the prompt response TDR.

TDR
02-18-2014, 12:16 AM
I've check connections on the battery terminals including the ground, I'm gonna make the assumption that it's the alternator. thanks for the prompt response TDR.

Assume nothing. Test everything. Assumption is a good way to throw money at a problem without fixing it.

ricekikr
02-18-2014, 12:28 AM
Battery was completely shot, got it jumped again and was able to get a new battery

Odd. The dash lights should've worked when you first jumped it, even if the battery was totally flat. Good you fixed your problem. Guess now is figuring out why it quit in 6months.