PDA

View Full Version : is it worth it? upgrade question

phatjames167
02-14-2014, 08:26 PM
I'm thinking about upgrading my 01 a4 1.8tq from stock to either giac or apr tune with apr exhaust and test pipe or going with the below kit from AWE along with a test pipe and apr exhaust.

http://www.awe-tuning.com/awe-tuning-performance-k04-turbo-upgrade-kit

Is it worth the $2395? would the $1795 kit be worth it if the $2395 isn't or would would the giac/apr tune with supporting mods be the better deal? All I want is a fun daily driver that wont kill me on my MPG and will remain as reliable as possible.

redline380
02-14-2014, 08:28 PM
No. get frankenturbo.

I swear, that should be my sig line. When in doubt, get frankenturbo.

phatjames167
02-14-2014, 08:39 PM
No. get frankenturbo.

I swear, that should be my sig line. When in doubt, get frankenturbo.

What is involved with the FrankenTurbo? I know it comes with the turbo, DV, Turbo manifold, and i think a turbo inlet hose? anything else it comes with or anything else i might need when I purchase it? what about software?

BaseDrifter
02-14-2014, 08:39 PM
If your car is stock now I would get a simple stage 1 tune, 007 DV, exhaust with TP or HFC and go from there. The DV and exhaust would be necessary if you decide to step up to an FT later anyways.

phatjames167
02-14-2014, 08:43 PM
If your car is stock now I would get a simple stage 1 tune, 007 DV, exhaust with TP or HFC and go from there. The DV and exhaust would be necessary if you decide to step up to an FT later anyways.

What do you think of the 008 DV i know it's still kind of new. Thanks in advance, I follow your build thread on FF and your a big inspiration.

BaseDrifter
02-14-2014, 08:52 PM
What do you think of the 008 DV i know it's still kind of new. Thanks in advance, I follow your build thread on FF and your a big inspiration.

What's FF? I've got a build thread here on AZ and had one on AF. Maybe you mean someone else? If not, thanks!

You'll be fine with a 008, all you really want is a recirculating DV. 008's top bolts down whereas the 007's screws on, the shape is also slightly different. I'd get whichever is cheaper.

BrucexL33
02-14-2014, 08:53 PM
The Frankenturbo kits comes with Turbo, Exhaust Manifold, Intlet. For an additional cost you can buy a DV from them. Now they also offer tune and injectors as a bundle. You can get a whole upgrade for 1600.

phatjames167
02-14-2014, 08:55 PM
What's FF? I've got a build thread here on AZ and had one on AF. Maybe you mean someone else? if not, thanks!

You'll be fine with a 008, all you really want is a recirculating DV. 008's top bolts down whereas the 007's screws on, the shape is also slightly different. I'd get whichever is cheaper.

Sorry AF.

BaseDrifter
02-14-2014, 09:01 PM
Sorry AF.

Right on, thanks a lot man!

I'd still start with the basic bolt ons and a tune, if you do want to jump into a turbo swap right away I would definitely go FT over a K04 kit. I plan to go with an FT soon enough, need an exhaust, FMIC, and clutch first though..

phatjames167
02-14-2014, 09:07 PM
The Frankenturbo kits comes with Turbo, Exhaust Manifold, Intlet. For an additional cost you can buy a DV from them. Now they also offer tune and injectors as a bundle. You can get a whole upgrade for 1600.

with the bundle of 1600 I'd still need the TP, DV, & exhaust so I'm looking at about 2800 roughly

with a stage 1 tune, TP, DV, & exhaust im looking at 1700 roughly

what are the gains on the FT bundle over Stage 1 and which would be more reliable for a DD?

BrucexL33
02-14-2014, 09:09 PM
1600 + TP ($100) DV (90). Custom Exhaust 300-400 and you'll still be under that other "quote" . The Frankenturbo makes WAY MORE power than just stage 1. And yes it is reliable if you get a good tune for it!

BaseDrifter
02-14-2014, 09:14 PM
with a stage 1 tune, TP, DV, & exhaust im looking at 1700 roughly

You should be able to get all that for less than a grand.

Stage 1 tune from K0mpressd (~$250), TP (~$100), DV ($140), exhaust (SSAC, $450) = ~$940.

phatjames167
02-14-2014, 09:17 PM
You should be able to get all that for less than a grand.

Stage 1 tune from K0mpressd (~$250), TP (~$100), DV ($140), exhaust (SSAC, $450) = ~$940.

Would you suggest those over APR/Giac tune and APR exhaust? i liked the idea of the APR exhaust since it's supposed to be somewhat stealthy.

phatjames167
02-14-2014, 09:24 PM
Also have a local shop that can do GIAC, and a shop that can install unitronic, and supposedly the VW dealership near by is an APR dealer.

BaseDrifter
02-14-2014, 09:24 PM
Would you suggest those over APR/Giac tune and APR exhaust? i liked the idea of the APR exhaust since it's supposed to be somewhat stealthy.

The exhaust note is all personal preference, I just wouldn't pay over $1,000 for a 2.5" exhaust system, even if its from APR. The $450 (actually $400 direct from SSAC) for an SSAC exhaust shipped to your door sounds much more reasonable.

As far as the tune, same call. Many people have been running tunes created by AZ members with great results for half the price of an APR/GIAC/REVO tune. They can also work with you to customize it for the mods you have installed. I'm running a tune written by ddillenger/VAG Autowerks.

phatjames167
02-14-2014, 09:38 PM
The exhaust note is all personal preference, I just wouldn't pay over $1,000 for a 2.5" exhaust system, even if its from APR. The $450 (actually $400 direct from SSAC) for an SSAC exhaust shipped to your door sounds much more reasonable.

As far as the tune, same call. Many people have been running tunes created by AZ members with great results for half the price of an APR/GIAC/REVO tune. They can also work with you to customize it for the mods you have installed. I'm running a tune written by ddillenger/VAG Autowerks.

according to the SCC website it is a 2.25" system. Will that still be able to make full use of a tune or will I be running it more for noise at that point and how would I go about getting a tune installed if i were to get something from a member?

Mythbuster74
02-15-2014, 02:28 PM
Anything over 500 for an exhaust system is ridiculous. They're making like 800+ every time you buy one lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

phatjames167
02-15-2014, 02:32 PM
Anything over 500 for an exhaust system is ridiculous. They're making like 800+ every time you buy one lol

Whats the difference between something under $500 and something like the apr exhaust that's 1000? if nothing why pay double if its not worth it? not trying to be smart, just trying to figure out why it's not worth buying? is it any better than a cheaper exhaust?

Mythbuster74
02-15-2014, 02:39 PM
Whats the difference between something under $500 and something like the apr exhaust that's 1000? if nothing why pay double if its not worth it? not trying to be smart, just trying to figure out why it's not worth buying? is it any better than a cheaper exhaust?

Because it says Apr on it lol. Yes I'm sure its better, but its an exhaust. All it does is direct exhaust flow, and change the sound. Your mostly paying for:
It says Apr
Its a bolt-on which always makes things more expensive

I'm sure it last forever and all that, but to me when you look at what it does compared to what it costs its crazy. For $1000 you could buy a mig welder, and all the pieces and make it yourself and still have money left over.

There will be lots of people that disagree with me I'm sure.

phatjames167
02-15-2014, 02:55 PM
Because it says Apr on it lol. Yes I'm sure its better, but its an exhaust. All it does is direct exhaust flow, and change the sound. Your mostly paying for:
It says Apr
Its a bolt-on which always makes things more expensive

I'm sure it last forever and all that, but to me when you look at what it does compared to what it costs its crazy. For $1000 you could buy a mig welder, and all the pieces and make it yourself and still have money left over.

There will be lots of people that disagree with me I'm sure.

if all it's doing is directing exhaust flow why do some tunes require an after market exhaust?

BrucexL33
02-15-2014, 03:02 PM
if all it's doing is directing exhaust flow why do some tunes require an after market exhaust?

I don't think it's "required" for an after market exhaust. Like you mentioned it just helps your direct exhaust flow better and more than the stock exhaust.

Mythbuster74
02-15-2014, 03:03 PM

I'm not sure how much you know but since the exhaust moves much more freely the turbo spools earlier.

So I've never understood that part either. Unless they're fuel map has something to do with the earlier spool? I'm not sure. My car came with a stage 2 Apr tune and it ran fine with the stock exhaust too. Personally I think its a little bit of a gimmick. Recommended injectors are a different story though.

BrucexL33
02-15-2014, 03:07 PM
Myth, it does let the turbo spool earlier, maybe 200-300 rpms? A big factor of that is the cat, I swapped in a HFC and you can hear the turbo spool just by revving. The cat-back system adds additional free room to it but it really depends on the turbo also. A small turbo won't see much difference as much as a bigger turbo.

Here's a little information from another thread.
2. Exhaust – Because our cars are turbo, freeing up room for the turbo helps bring out power, so an exhaust is important. There are many companies (Borla, Milltek, APR, and Neuspeed are the most popular off the shelf ones). Some like it louder, and some like it softer. Borla would be the loudest then neuspeed. miltek and APR are stealth type exhausts so they are very quiet.. Make sure you get a good diameter depending on how much power your going to be putting out.

2.25"-ko3 power
2.5" to 2.75"-ko4
2.75" and up- BT

phatjames167
02-15-2014, 03:17 PM
from what it sounds like, with the k03, even with a tune I should be ok to keep the stock exhaust and the important part would be running a test pipe so there isn't much restriction? my state doesnt have emissions testing so I was planning on running a test pipe for more power not to mention i haven't seen a HFC cheaper than a test pipe.

BrucexL33
02-15-2014, 03:21 PM
Yea. you will see a big difference with a test pipe. The HFC is more expensive because it has cells and meant to filter some emission whereas the testpipe is literally a pipe haha. If money is tight just get a tune, testpipe and DV for now, you'll see a very big difference from stock. Also do you plan on going for a bigger turbo in the future? I would suggest getting a tune from Motoza, you can use a stage 1+ tune now and pay the difference for a bigger turbo tune later. Heard he's a super good guy. It's not even a generic tune, he tweaks it for you to make it better

phatjames167
02-15-2014, 04:36 PM
Yea. you will see a big difference with a test pipe. The HFC is more expensive because it has cells and meant to filter some emission whereas the testpipe is literally a pipe haha. If money is tight just get a tune, testpipe and DV for now, you'll see a very big difference from stock. Also do you plan on going for a bigger turbo in the future? I would suggest getting a tune from Motoza, you can use a stage 1+ tune now and pay the difference for a bigger turbo tune later. Heard he's a super good guy. It's not even a generic tune, he tweaks it for you to make it better

Moneys not really tight, i just don't see the point in paying more for less power than the alternative, but yea i think I'm going to look at getting the tune, dv, test pipe, possible exhaust and play with that for a wile.

On a side note, I just got back from picking up a samco tip for $30 [:D]

BrucexL33
02-15-2014, 04:40 PM
yea, I would highly suggest getting a custom one, way cheaper.

phatjames167
02-15-2014, 04:52 PM
yea, I would highly suggest getting a custom one, way cheaper.

custom exhaust? i may look more into the SSAC Lukas told me about. it sounds pretty decent in the video i found and it seems to sell and ship at a good price.

BrucexL33
02-15-2014, 04:59 PM
Are you planning on installing it yourself? If not you'll need to buy it get it shipped and pay someone to install. If you go to a muffler shop they can build a custom one for you, whatever size you want and install for super cheap. But ya if you want the SSAC go for it!

phatjames167
02-15-2014, 05:03 PM
I should be able to install it myself and even if i dont feel like it, i'll take it to a friend who owns a shop. i do IT work for him and he usually cuts me a big discount on auto work.

BrucexL33
02-15-2014, 05:06 PM
Another IT guy eh? You should be in the B8 S4 section haha

phatjames167
02-15-2014, 05:14 PM
Another IT guy eh? You should be in the B8 S4 section haha

lol why do you say that?

BrucexL33
02-15-2014, 05:22 PM
Almost everyone in that section does IT lol.

phatjames167
02-15-2014, 05:31 PM
Almost everyone in that section does IT lol.

to rich for my blood right now. i do pretty good but i just turned 25, bought a house mid last year, got engaged late last year, and getting married this September. I don't need a car note right now. lol

Avant Nate
02-15-2014, 05:53 PM
I personally think exhaust is probably the most overrated upgrade you can do. I was running my gt2860rs into a stock exhaust until I finally built my own custom 3". I was expecting a big jump in performance and the biggest thing I noticed was that now I have an annoying loud exhaust.

jamerican1
02-15-2014, 06:10 PM
I personally think exhaust is probably the most overrated upgrade you can do. I was running my gt2860rs into a stock exhaust until I finally built my own custom 3". I was expecting a big jump in performance and the biggest thing I noticed was that now I have an annoying loud exhaust.

While I only have a K04 and a test pipe, I kinda feel the same way about exhaust. As much as I would love a nicer sounding exhaust, I don't want something too loud to draw attention from Virginia's finest... Especially with minimal performance gains. Personally I'd spend that money on a front mount.

nynoah
02-15-2014, 06:12 PM
I am still running stock exhaust. I want to get a freer flowing exhaust but the cost is my limiting factor. I just can not justify what companies are charging. The SSAC one is too thin to be much good and most all the others are 1K plus. WTF I also value very quiet. I don't want cop attention nor do I want to sound like some kid with a honda fart can.

phatjames167
02-15-2014, 06:16 PM
While I only have a K04 and a test pipe, I kinda feel the same way about exhaust. As much as I would love a nicer sounding exhaust, I don't want something too loud to draw attention from Virginia's finest... Especially with minimal performance gains. Personally I'd spend that money on a front mount.

What part of VA? I'm in the Richmond area.

I am still running stock exhaust. I want to get a freer flowing exhaust but the cost is my limiting factor. I just can not justify what companies are charging. The SSAC one is too thin to be much good and most all the others are 1K plus. WTF I also value very quiet. I don't want cop attention nor do I want to sound like some kid with a honda fart can.

Yea I'd like to get something not to loud so it won't draw to much attention from cops or all the civics in the area. I'ed rather them not know what I have until I fly by.

gmx
02-15-2014, 06:25 PM
Is IT that good in the States? hrmmmm lol

Skip the DV man, 710N is all you need for that, half your cost easily.
Also you can get billy boat exhausts from IE I think. They use to or still make them for APR IIRC.

phatjames167
02-15-2014, 06:34 PM

Also you can get billy boat exhausts from IE I think. They use to or still make them for APR IIRC.

IT is good depending on where you're at or what company your with. I'm in with a good company making more than what I would working for other company's in the area doing the same thing.

I've heard of Billy Boat, what is IE though?

jamerican1
02-15-2014, 06:36 PM
What part of VA? I'm in the Richmond area.

Yea I'd like to get something not to loud so it won't draw to much attention from cops or all the civics in the area. I'ed rather them not know what I have until I fly by.

I'm up in the NoVa area. I think we feel the same about exhaust [up]

BrucexL33
02-15-2014, 06:39 PM

If you live in the Bay Area you HAVE to do IT if you want the big bank account. haha Technology is everything and everywhere, if you're not with it you're gone! haha

Mythbuster74
02-15-2014, 06:44 PM
I have a 3in on my car with a magnaflow muffler and it's not very loud, especially compared to my 5.9 truck with longtubes. What it does have is droneeeeee. So if you can find a way around this with a resonated or something like that it'll be great. And even though its not the biggest performance part as far as HP or quarter times go, it definitely makes you think it's faster lol and that's half the fight. Even fast cars that are quiet seem less impressive.

jamerican1
02-15-2014, 06:50 PM
I have a 3in on my car with a magnaflow muffler and it's not very loud, especially compared to my 5.9 truck with longtubes. What it does have is droneeeeee. So if you can find a way around this with a resonated or something like that it'll be great. And even though its not the biggest performance part as far as HP or quarter times go, it definitely makes you think it's faster lol and that's half the fight. Even fast cars that are quiet seem less impressive.

One of these days I might do a ton of research to see if I can find an exhaust that sounds decent without being too loud and has minimal drone. While my car is kinda quiet (just a test pipe) it doesn't sound horrible.

phatjames167
02-15-2014, 06:52 PM
One of these days I might do a ton of research to see if I can find an exhaust that sounds decent without being too loud and has minimal drone. While my car is kinda quiet (just a test pipe) it doesn't sound horrible.

I think I may start off with a tune and a test pipe an run the stock exhaust and see how it feels.

Mythbuster74
02-15-2014, 06:55 PM
Here's mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JCEiuPA3vs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

jamerican1
02-15-2014, 06:56 PM
I think I may start off with a tune and a test pipe an run the stock exhaust and see how it feels.

If you're ever up in NoVa, I'd be more than happy to give you a ride. I've got a K04, RAI test pipe, and a Unitronic tune. Also to consider, most tuners will let you upgrade from stage one later if you want to start out slow. I know I only had to pay the difference when I went from stage 1 to stage 2.

Mythbuster74
02-15-2014, 06:56 PM
I come from the world of american v8s and to me it doesn't soundy ricey at all

phatjames167
02-15-2014, 07:08 PM
If you're ever up in NoVa, I'd be more than happy to give you a ride. I've got a K04, RAI test pipe, and a Unitronic tune. Also to consider, most tuners will let you upgrade from stage one later if you want to start out slow. I know I only had to pay the difference when I went from stage 1 to stage 2.

I'll take you up on your offer if I ever make it up there. I'm not sure yet who I'm gonna go with as far a a tune. I could send it off or get it remotly done or i could go with GIAC from a porche place here in richmond, apr from the VW dealership near chester off of 95, or unitronic from perception motorwerks in powhatan county. i've always liked giac just from what iv'e read, i like the idea of apr because they give you a list of stuff to do for stages and unitronic has the most options as far as what stage you could go to along with a list of requirements and recommendation, BUT per their website its around $600 for there stage 2 with the only requirement is a turbo back exhaust.

I come from the world of american v8s and to me it doesn't soundy ricey at all

i agree i't doesn't sound rice at all.

jamerican1
02-15-2014, 07:24 PM
I'll take you up on your offer if I ever make it up there. I'm not sure yet who I'm gonna go with as far a a tune. I could send it off or get it remotly done or i could go with GIAC from a porche place here in richmond, apr from the VW dealership near chester off of 95, or unitronic from perception motorwerks in powhatan county. i've always liked giac just from what iv'e read, i like the idea of apr because they give you a list of stuff to do for stages and unitronic has the most options as far as what stage you could go to along with a list of requirements and recommendation, BUT per their website its around $600 for there stage 2 with the only requirement is a turbo back exhaust.

Do you have an ATW? If so the stage 2 for us is different from the rest of the motors, ours being a be more difficult to tune.

phatjames167
02-15-2014, 07:34 PM
Do you have an ATW? If so the stage 2 for us is different from the rest of the motors, ours being a be more difficult to tune.

I have an AWM

Also if i decide to do just a test pipe with the stock exhaust what test pipe would I need? I'm not sure what the stock exhaust size is.

jamerican1
02-15-2014, 07:35 PM
I have an AWM

Also if i decide to do just a test pipe with the stock exhaust what test pipe would I need? I'm not sure what the stock exhaust size is.

Lucky you lol

I have an RAI test pipe and it bolts up perfectly to my stock exhaust.

Cybersombosis
02-15-2014, 08:29 PM
Having gone through what you are about to go through and if you have any inkling of upgrading your turbo, I would highly recommend that you go directly with software that has upgradeability without having to pay twice or more times. You cannot get any farther with APR. Their Stage II software is their Stage I software with the secondary O2 sensor coded out. No difference in mapping whatsoever. After that they do not sell their software separately from their Stage III kit. I bought a fully loaded APR flash for $499 with all the bells and whistles a few years ago and had fun with it but I didn't use the program switching except for a couple times to see if it worked. It is really a novelty more than anything unless you have track days and can utilize their 100 octane programming.

I recently upgraded to Motoza +1 custom software with Bosch 550cc injectors to upgrade proof myself. You only pay the difference between one stage to the next which is perfect for the consumer and with their Stage I programming only $349, it is $150 less than APR on sale. This is a custom tune specifically for your vehicle and upgrades, and if you ever upgrade a component, you just have to log data using their program suite, send it via email and get a revision back, and flash it with your lap top to you car. This was perfect because I didn't want to have to send my ECU out or go to another city and book time off to get any flashes done. I can do it in the comfort of my own home. Priceless!!!

The plan is to eventually go Frankenturbo when the stock turbo dies so I will only have to pay the difference between a Stage I+ and Hybrid tune. I should have went this route from the beginning but I was able to sell my APR ECU for $350 so I got to use it for 3 years for $150. Below is the sequence of what I went through. I would recommend you take care of any maintenance before you start upgrading anything. Good luck with your decisions.

-K&N Air Filter
-Timing Belt
-APR R1 Diverter Valve used for $50
-Boost Gauge
-APR Software
-eBay short shifter kit
-ATP Test Pipe
-Motoza Stage 1+ with Bosch EV14 550cc injectors

Future upgrades
-Frankenturbo
-Treadstone FMIC

Doug

phatjames167
02-15-2014, 08:40 PM
Having gone through what you are about to go through and if you have any inkling of upgrading your turbo, I would highly recommend that you go directly with software that has upgradeability without having to pay twice or more times. You cannot get any farther with APR. Their Stage II software is their Stage I software with the secondary O2 sensor coded out. No difference in mapping whatsoever. After that they do not sell their software separately from their Stage III kit. I bought a fully loaded APR flash for $499 with all the bells and whistles a few years ago and had fun with it but I didn't use the program switching except for a couple times to see if it worked. It is really a novelty more than anything unless you have track days and can utilize their 100 octane programming.

I recently upgraded to Motoza +1 custom software with Bosch 550cc injectors to upgrade proof myself. You only pay the difference between one stage to the next which is perfect for the consumer and with their Stage I programming only $349, it is $150 less than APR on sale. This is a custom tune specifically for your vehicle and upgrades, and if you ever upgrade a component, you just have to log data using their program suite, send it via email and get a revision back, and flash it with your lap top to you car. This was perfect because I didn't want to have to send my ECU out or go to another city and book time off to get any flashes done. I can do it in the comfort of my own home. Priceless!!!

The plan is to eventually go Frankenturbo when the stock turbo dies so I will only have to pay the difference between a Stage I+ and Hybrid tune. I should have went this route from the beginning but I was able to sell my APR ECU for $350 so I got to use it for 3 years for $150. Below is the sequence of what I went through. I would recommend you take care of any maintenance before you start upgrading anything. Good luck with your decisions.

-K&N Air Filter
-Timing Belt
-APR R1 Diverter Valve used for $50
-Boost Gauge
-APR Software
-eBay short shifter kit
-ATP Test Pipe
-Motoza Stage 1+ with Bosch EV14 550cc injectors

Future upgrades
-Frankenturbo
-Treadstone FMIC

Doug

Thank's for the insight! I was actually looking at Motoza and it seemed like a good route. i think you also answered any questions I had as well. Last year i spent time doing maintenance. did the following in roughly this order:

K&N drop in air filter
wearever break pads & rotors all the way around
ngk irdium spark plugs
audi replaced my ignition coils under warranty
kevlar timing belt kit from ecs and both rear oil seals
replaced both front axles with raxles
awe boost gauge
MAF
Silicone vacuum lines
coolant flange and coolent temp sensor

I have a large evap i'm hoping to get taken care of this week and that should be it until the next issue arises.

gmx
02-15-2014, 09:10 PM
Integrated Engineering, just a retailer for them. I think they can be found elsewhere too but they weren't cheaper than I thought (still around $850)
http://www.performancebyie.com/billy-boat-b5-a4-quattro-1-8t-5spd-exhaust-1997-2001-3-twin-round-tip

phatjames167
02-15-2014, 09:24 PM
Integrated Engineering, just a retailer for them. I think they can be found elsewhere too but they weren't cheaper than I thought (still around $850)
http://www.performancebyie.com/billy-boat-b5-a4-quattro-1-8t-5spd-exhaust-1997-2001-3-twin-round-tip

I feel like their pic is for a b6. lol. right now i'm leaning towards ording the motoza tuning kit along with a test pipe. I may even spring for injectors and get the stage 1+ kit.

Cybersombosis
02-15-2014, 09:37 PM
If you do get the injectors I went with a buddy system and ordered a set of 8 and split them with someone else. I think I paid $128 for 4 Bosch EV14 550cc injectors and adapters. They are usually at least 50 bucks a piece plus adapters and these are the right height injectors so you don't have install spacers. The buddy buy is in the B6 section.

Doug

phatjames167
02-15-2014, 09:51 PM
If you do get the injectors I went with a buddy system and ordered a set of 8 and split them with someone else. I think I paid $126 for 4 Bosch EV14 550cc injectors. They are usually at least 50 bucks a piece and these are the right height injectors so you don't have install spacers. The buddy buy is in the B6 section.

Doug

I did a couple searches in the B6 area but wasn't able to find it. is this a buy from Motoza? his site offers them but he also offers these EV1-Ev6 adapters but i'm not sure what they are for.
126 sounds better than 190 on the Motoza site.

Cybersombosis
02-15-2014, 10:29 PM
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/564206-1-8t-Injector-Pairing-Thread

Looks like it ended with me but you may be able to find someone if you post up there. The adapters are for going from the EV14 plug to our plug. They are not the same shape. Good luck.

Doug

phatjames167
02-16-2014, 06:34 AM
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/564206-1-8t-Injector-Pairing-Thread

Looks like it ended with me but you may be able to find someone if you post up there. The adapters are for going from the EV14 plug to our plug. They are not the same shape. Good luck.

Doug

Cool hopefully I can jump start that thread again.

Does anyone have thoughts on the RAI testpipe over the 034Motorsport test pipe with the oxygen spacer and isntallation kit? they both come out to be the same price.

zandrew
02-16-2014, 07:49 AM
Myth, it does let the turbo spool earlier, maybe 200-300 rpms? A big factor of that is the cat, I swapped in a HFC and you can hear the turbo spool just by revving. The cat-back system adds additional free room to it but it really depends on the turbo also. A small turbo won't see much difference as much as a bigger turbo.

Here's a little information from another thread.
2. Exhaust Because our cars are turbo, freeing up room for the turbo helps bring out power, so an exhaust is important. There are many companies (Borla, Milltek, APR, and Neuspeed are the most popular off the shelf ones). Some like it louder, and some like it softer. Borla would be the loudest then neuspeed. miltek and APR are stealth type exhausts so they are very quiet.. Make sure you get a good diameter depending on how much power your going to be putting out.

2.25"-ko3 power
2.5" to 2.75"-ko4
2.75" and up- BT

I am going to disagree with the exhaust sizes noted. I see a lot of people get caught up in exhaust size but the truth is that there is no real proof. No one has tried 2" exhaust then a 2.5" exhaust and then 3" exhaust on the same setup and ran a dyno with them. I do think a larger Down Pipe helps since the the turbine housing is designed to stack th ehaust pulses up which creates heat and exhaust expansion right before the turbine and spools the turbo up (you realise the turbine housing nozzle in a K04 is about .25" diameter?). The turbine housing is basically a restriction within the exhaust path that creates heat and in tunr creates pressure and that pressure spools your turbo. Once the exhaust exits the turbine it is still hot but cools very fast and the larger DP allows for more surface area for cooling and heat disapation as well as less restriction. Also the the DP usually has some significant bends and a larger diameter makes it freer flowing. Once the exhaust gets to the exhaust though it typically has cooled significantly and feeding X amount of exhaust through 3" exhaust will flow slower then feeding the same X amount of exhaust through 2.5" exhaust as long as the 2.5" exhaust is not to small and restricts it.

The diameter of the exhaust helps but what you want is to get the exhaust out of the muffler ASAP. This is why cut outs work. I am running a 3" DP to a 2.5" exhaust on a GT3071R at 18psi and I am not having any issues.

pichno
02-18-2014, 06:43 PM

I disagree 100% with the XS-Power 2.25" exhaust being too thin, at least for a K03s setup (Stage 1, 2, or mild K04 tune like I have). My 2001 now has a K04 setup from Speedtuning, but before I purchased the tune, I only had a Stage 1 91octane tune, 3" test pipe and stock exhaust on my K03s. Once I installed the XS exhaust, I "definitely" noticed a difference, but again this was on a K03s turbo with mild K04 programming from Speedtuning at 20PSI max. I drove the stock exhaust and test pipe with a Stage 1 tune for 5 years, as you could imagine I was very used to the vehicles performance. However, before I went with the K04 program from the K03s turbo, the 2.25" exhaust was very noticeable, both torque and higher rpm range.

nynoah
02-18-2014, 07:34 PM
2.25 is stock size

pichno
02-18-2014, 09:18 PM
That's not the point, the point is a free-flowing system in general. The stock exhaust doesn't stand a chance vs a performance system with a tune, period. There's a reason why virtually every tune either requires, or at least suggests an after market free-flowing system. I've been there and done that, not too mention comparing a stock 2.25" (2.165" actually) system to a sport 2.25" performance exhaust in terms of breathing-ability is laughable....you're comparing apples to oranges man. Upon measuring my AutoChrome exhaust, it was 2.3" not that it really makes a difference but yea. The great thing with the SS Chrome system is you get the necessary breathing ability, yet it isn't god awful loud with tons of drone, it's perfect IMO, especially for a K03/K04 tune.

Like I said, I had the stock system on my Stage 1 K03 tune for 5 years, and the second I installed the XS exhaust, it was blatantly obvious how much better it was breathing. Now, I had a test pipe the entire time, but nevertheless a 2.25" performance exhaust is plenty for most K03-K04 tunes. Although the the 2.25" performance exhaust was obviously better flowing with my Stage 1, once I went to Speedtuning's Stage 3 K04 tune, the improvement was even more noticeable. I have a hard time believe if I was to swap out my 2.25" for a 2.5" or 3" exhaust on my setup, I would even notice a difference, not too mention the fact the XS-Power setup is roughly $400 shipped, compared to a standard 2.5" or 3" performance exhaust by various companies that will most likely run $800+ easy. No way you can tell me the 1/2-3/4" difference is either going to be a noticeable improvement on a K03/K04 tune, nor cost/power effective for "at least" double the price? No way...

EDIT..........BTW-I know the stock exhaust is roughly 2.25", however the conversation "appeared" to be referencing the after-market SS system, thus is the reason for my blunt reply. Like Believer stated below, it's actually 2.165".....which is 100% correct. Another thing to keep in mind is how much drone/noise a 3" exhaust could have.....not my style in terms of noise, drone, and cost..... that's for sure.

Believer
02-19-2014, 07:26 AM
2.25 is stock size

My understanding is that stock size is actually 2.17". An individual in this thread measured with calipers and got 2.18" - http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1955670-Purchased

speedydragon
02-19-2014, 11:31 AM
Didn't get to read the entire thread, but if you're aiming for just stage 1 (tune, exhaust blah blah), you can op for the cheaper 710n diverter valve found on the tt225 which omes oem with a k04 turbo. The 710n is around $40 as opposed to the forge valves.

10kredline
02-20-2014, 12:06 AM
Here's mine. I now have the frankenturbo installed with a 3"maf and cone intake and testpipe, it probably sounds louder now. In this vid was the stock swiss cheese airbox and testpipe.(ssac took my video and posted on their site, even when i took it down....oh well)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_ixLZRnmfg&app=desktop

Oh and btw, that guy isnt me, i look better than that dude...