PDA

View Full Version : BT build questions

Jim el
02-13-2014, 06:09 PM
I'm new on this site and this is my first real build also. a buddy of mine has a lot of experience with cars and he will be helping me through the process. I recently just picked up a 01 a4 Quattro 5 speed with a bent valve for CHEAP. I'm looking to do a BT set up on the car. I'm looking for 450-500 awhp but it must have low end power because it will be a street car. I understand that with any modded car you loose some of the reliability but I'd like to keep it as reliable as possible. my pats list so far is...

-JE FSR 1.8t pistons (stock stroke)
-IE Tuscan 144x20 rods
- Ferrea valve spring/retainer kit
-Ferrea intake valve set
-Ferrea exhaust valve set

I'm looking for recommendations for exhaust and intake manifolds, turbo, cams (?) and will the stock crank hold up to the power. if not what are some good options?

coolgraymemo
02-13-2014, 06:15 PM
I'm new on this site and this is my first real build also. a buddy of mine has a lot of experience with cars and he will be helping me through the process. I recently just picked up a 01 a4 Quattro 5 speed with a bent valve for CHEAP. I'm looking to do a BT set up on the car. I'm looking for 450-500 awhp but it must have low end power because it will be a street car. I understand that with any modded car you loose some of the reliability but I'd like to keep it as reliable as possible. my pats list so far is...

-JE FSR 1.8t pistons (stock stroke)
-IE Tuscan 144x20 rods
- Ferrea valve spring/retainer kit
-Ferrea intake valve set
-Ferrea exhaust valve set

I'm looking for recommendations for exhaust and intake manifolds, turbo, cams (?) and will the stock crank hold up to the power. if not what are some good options?

Next...

nynoah
02-13-2014, 06:31 PM
450 - 500 HP and have good low end HP for street... Sure I can do that for you, but first you have to buy this ocean side property I got for sale out here in Colorado.

Jim el
02-13-2014, 06:33 PM
Im a GM (ls) guy trying something new. I just want the car to be streetable without having to be at 6k rpm before I have power

coolgraymemo
02-13-2014, 06:33 PM
450 - 500 HP and have good low end HP for street... Sure I can do that for you, but first you have to buy this ocean side property I got for sale out here in Colorado.

Interdasting.

What's the price?

BaseDrifter
02-13-2014, 06:36 PM
Sounds like you want a 2.0 with a midrange turbo like a 2871 or 3076. Won't get you to 500awhp though.

nynoah
02-13-2014, 06:38 PM
Interdasting.

What's the price?

Its about 350,000,000,000,000,000. But it comes with a free crack pipe and an audi a4 1.8t that makes 500 awhp starting at 2K RPM. I need deposit first before I deliver the car.

Original poster, you are asking for the impossible. 300 awhp and streetable yes. Anything over that and reliability, street performance suffers.

Jim el
02-13-2014, 06:40 PM
yea that would be ideal. like I said, I'm used to v8s and turbos are like brail to me haha

redline380
02-13-2014, 06:41 PM
All joking aside, I would love to see some sort of compound turbo setup on a 1.8t. Think gt25 to a gt35? Shit would rip. Or, a centrifugal supercharger for the down low, and a big turbo for the tops

BaseDrifter
02-13-2014, 06:42 PM
^I'd love to see what can be done with that twin scroll set up that was posted a few days ago.

nynoah
02-13-2014, 06:43 PM
Basically displacement still matters. A 4 cylinder is still a 4 cylinder. Turbos overcome that HP and smaller displacement by adding more air which allows you to add more gas. But the turbo only works when you are spinning it. You need RPM to spin. The larger the turbo the more HP. The larger the turbo the more air (higher in the RPMs) the engine needs to start efficiently giving boost.

redline380
02-13-2014, 06:48 PM
^I'd love to see what can be done with that twin scroll set up that was posted a few days ago.

Me too. Twin scroll on the right turbo is great. Hint hint- EFR serise

Basically displacement still matters. A 4 cylinder is still a 4 cylinder. Turbos overcome that HP and smaller displacement by adding more air which allows you to add more gas. But the turbo only works when you are spinning it. You need RPM to spin. The larger the turbo the more HP. The larger the turbo the more air (higher in the RPMs) the engine needs to start efficiently giving boost.

Exactly why a small turbo works great. Spools up fast, bring tons more air to the combustion process to help spool the large turbo, hence the compound setup. One day, if I am feeling crazy, I will do it, but might have to have turbos coming out of the hood or something

Jim el
02-13-2014, 06:52 PM
ok with all that being said, what do you guys think is a good set up for 300-400 hp?

redline380
02-13-2014, 06:59 PM
ok with all that being said, what do you guys think is a good set up for 300-400 hp?

2871r, or 3071r, or comp 53**, holset hx3*, too many options. best one would probably be an EFR though. But you wont get magical spooling abilities out of any of them if that is what you want.

Jim el
02-13-2014, 07:03 PM
what about supporting mods?

Jim el
02-13-2014, 07:04 PM
I know how a turbo works but I just didn't know how laggy some of them were....

b6Hate4
02-13-2014, 07:05 PM
Search button yo

thenj3
02-13-2014, 07:09 PM
come to jersey and buy all my stuff

redline380
02-13-2014, 07:23 PM
what about supporting mods?

No supporting mods are necessary. All you need are decent seats to hold you in from all the power! Really convenient they have t3 exhaust mani's stock.

These cars are built like a brick shit house from the factory.

http://somethinsfishy.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/brick-shithouse.jpg

nynoah
02-13-2014, 07:28 PM
You need rods at a min and I would change out your exhaust valves to solid ones if you are doing the head. Really if you poke around here, you will find good info. Right now people are poking fun at you because it was your first post and you posted a doozy. There are people with 500 awhp... but those are not good street cars. I run a GTRS eliminator on my car which is considered one of the better all around street turbos.

redline380
02-13-2014, 07:35 PM
You need rods at a min.

You are so fucking wrong [:D]

These cars are built like a brick shit house from the factory.

Jim el
02-13-2014, 07:53 PM
yea I figured I was getting trolled at first. like I said, I'm a LS guy who is used to having a v8. this 4cylinder thing is new haha. when I say streetable I really mean able to run on pump gas and can be taken on a cruise or out on Saturday night. not a dd pretty much. anyways I'm planning on doing rods, pistons, and valves. now you say that the stock exhaust manifold will work with some turbos?

redline380
02-13-2014, 08:01 PM
yea I figured I was getting trolled at first. like I said, I'm a LS guy who is used to having a v8. this 4cylinder thing is new haha. when I say streetable I really mean able to run on pump gas and can be taken on a cruise or out on Saturday night. not a dd pretty much. anyways I'm planning on doing rods, pistons, and valves. now you say that the stock exhaust manifold will work with some turbos?

Sorry, I was in the trolling mood tonight. Normally, I love giving newbs help when it comes to this shit.

I was totally kidding about the stock exhaust manifold. It will only work with kkk k03/04 flanged turbos. Basically, unless you plan on running an elim series turbo, you should plan on switching to a t25 or t3 exhaust mani.

If you want to do what it seems like you want to do, better have a few g's sittin around. Unless you know what you are doing and snag some used parts cheap, you will spend about 5,000 to make 300awhp on an Audi A4 1.8t, give or take 1,000

VAGlover
02-14-2014, 05:01 AM
Next...

This is exactly why i hate audizine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seerlah
02-14-2014, 05:20 AM
^People need to research first instead of being expected to be spoon fed info. All of us research stuff, so why shouldn't the next person do the same.

OP, you need something like a Borg Warner EFR if you want low end power that you want. You would need to search around for dyno plots to see how the spool is with those, but they supposedly offer the best spool characteristics. And they don't come cheap. You are setting your goals rather high. Stock, the car has 170bhp. For 500whp you are looking around the 600chp range...on 4 cylinders...with 1.8L of displacement. You need to look at it more logically. You are asking one cylinder to produce the same amount of power 4 did originally. 500whp can of course be done (I have close to 350whp right now with just forged rods on an otherwise stock block), but you still need to remember you are working with 1.8L. Don't expect linear power, or even coming close to it. If you want that with 450-500whp, you picked the wrong car.

ray4624
02-14-2014, 05:31 AM
This is exactly why i hate audizine

I assume you hate the rest of the internet aswell lol.

Poke around on some of the build threads here in the tech section. Most people have all their mods listed. Should help you get an idea

VAGlover
02-14-2014, 06:39 AM
[QUOTE=Seerlah;9474452]^People need to research first instead of being expected to be spoon fed info. All of us research stuff, so why shouldn't the next person do the same.

OP, you need something like a Borg Warner EFR if you want low end power that you want. You would need to search around for dyno plots to see how the spool is with those, but they supposedly offer the best spool characteristics. And they don't come cheap. You are setting your goals rather high. Stock, the car has 170bhp. For 500whp you are looking around the 600chp range...on 4 cylinders...with 1.8L of displacement. You need to look at it more logically. You are asking one cylinder to produce the same amount of power 4 did originally. 500whp can of course be done (I have close to 350whp right now with just forged rods on an otherwise stock block), but you still need to remember you are working with 1.8L. Don't expect linear power, or even coming close to it. If you want that with 450-500whp, you picked the wrong car.[

New car enthusiasts need to wear a fire retardant suit in here. Sometimes people just need to be spoon-fed. I like to be spoon-fed sometimes. [QUOTE=Seerlah;9474452]

ray4624
02-14-2014, 06:45 AM
I thought you were talking about memos post. It appears we are on the same side haha

Crispy222
02-14-2014, 09:04 AM
I think the EFR turbos are great. Its sort of an all in one package for BT and BAT. Besides the turbo, you'll need a proper manifold, oil and coolant lines, downpipe, hotside intercooler piping/ complete intercooler kit.

Things you don't have to buy separate and worry about if they are working/fitting correctly with everything else:
diverter/recirc valve ($250)
wastegate ($270)
dump-tube or complex downpipe (less $200-400)

Taken into account those features are built in. Its pretty much a wash on the cost side of things. But as a garage builder, fabrication and installation are much easier with an EFR turbo.

I'd really like to investigate V8 twin EFR setup in the future.

Jim el
02-14-2014, 11:07 AM
so I've decided on the precision 5858 t3 .62 a/r. what compressor intake and exit would be ideal for this? any thoughts on 4 bolt vs 5 bolt vs vband?

Crispy222
02-14-2014, 11:12 AM
4bolt or v-band. V-band is a little more costly, but no gaskets, easy to connect and disconnect.

Jim el
02-14-2014, 11:31 AM
ok cool. I'll call my local exhaust shop and makesure they can work with vband since they will be doing the turbo back custom... as for the Inlet and exit what's the best size? I'm ordering from 034 and they have 2.5/1.5 3/2 and 4/2.5 with ported shrouds. what would be the best option?

nynoah
02-14-2014, 12:03 PM
Just a concern. What are the rules out in NY for smog issues? OBD port? More? Out here in Colorado we have sniffer tests. I have no clue now since I have not lived there in a long time. Also I am from WNY and I miss Teds Hotdogs [:D]

Jim el
02-14-2014, 12:10 PM
obd port. and teds is the shit. I'd miss it if I left.

nynoah
02-14-2014, 01:25 PM
I would suggest hitting up this member here for stuff. http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=105563 He is a good person and has been around here for a while. Shipping could be a pain, but I suggest shipping through forward air for most of it. They are pretty cheap.

Gaberossi
02-14-2014, 01:46 PM
so I've decided on the precision 5858 t3 .62 a/r. what compressor intake and exit would be ideal for this? any thoughts on 4 bolt vs 5 bolt vs vband?

I run the Precision 5857 on a built AEB Short block with Stock AEB head. I currently make 460whp on e85. I get full boost at 4000rpm(30psi). I'm running full v-band and the 3in compressor inlet

Jim el
02-14-2014, 02:34 PM
I run the Precision 5857 on a built AEB Short block with Stock AEB head. I currently make 460whp on e85. I get full boost at 4000rpm(30psi). I'm running full v-band and the 3in compressor inlet

I was thinking 4/2.5 inlet/outlet because more air flow. is this not the case? what a/r are you? that sounds like a great power and for a street car.

I just looked into emissions in nys and as of the 1st we are exactly the same as California. anyone have any insight on downpipes and cat options? I was going to do a custom dp from the local exhaust shop and a cat delete but I guess that's not an option anymore. well atleast they can't legally put it on. anyways.... any thoughts?

nynoah
02-14-2014, 02:52 PM
A 4 inch inlet will be a pain to plumb for little gain.

Seerlah
02-14-2014, 03:04 PM
^No, we are not the same as California. Just passed my inspection in Jan from a tuner shop. As long as your car is clean, they will let you pass. But they still check all safety, lights, horns, mirrors, fluids, etc. They would not pass me first time because my front pads were too low. They didn't fail me, but simply told me to swap them out and come back. Did, and they passed me. I have absolutely no emission components. No cat converter, and have my crank case/valve cover breather ports teed off and I dump it under the car. All the other stuff emission stuff I simply removed. In a nutshell, my vehicle is far from street legal.

The 4" inlet and 2.5" outlet is a good choice. But you would want a reducer coupler on that outlet from 2.5" to 2.25" and run 2.25" hot side piping. I have a 2" outlet, and run a 2" to 2.25" coupler there, then 2.25" hot side piping and 2.5" cold side piping. Larger isn't always better. You need to take velocity (drop) into consideration. I have a 3" inlet on a 530hp turbo. No problem with drawing in air, as you still will only be able to take in air the size of the entrance to the compressor housing (inducer).

Jim el
02-14-2014, 03:17 PM
^No, we are not the same as California. Just passed my inspection in Jan from a tuner shop. As long as your car is clean, they will let you pass. But they still check all safety, lights, horns, mirrors, fluids, etc. They would not pass me first time because my front pads were too low. They didn't fail me, but simply told me to swap them out and come back. Did, and they passed me. I have absolutely no emission components. No cat converter, and have my crank case/valve cover breather ports teed off and I dump it under the car. All the other stuff emission stuff I simply removed. In a nutshell, my vehicle is far from street legal.

The 4" inlet and 2.5" outlet is a good choice. But you would want a reducer coupler on that outlet from 2.5" to 2.25" and run 2.25" hot side piping. I have a 2" outlet, and run a 2" to 2.25" coupler there, then 2.25" hot side piping and 2.5" cold side piping. Larger isn't always better. You need to take velocity (drop) into consideration. I have a 3" inlet on a 530hp turbo. No problem with drawing in air, as you still will only be able to take in air the size of the entrance to the compressor housing (inducer).

see he told me eariler today that I needed a carbureted cat? he pretty much told me that If I brought it in with lets say a DP to a test pipe they could do the rest of the exhaust. but they couldn't do turbo back because of the law. well they could but I'd need a cat. I'm almost positive that's what he told me. I could be wrong

Seerlah
02-14-2014, 03:28 PM
That is the law. "Tuner" shops don't really follow those. Is it legal? Absolutely not. NY law states you must have a catalytic converter, factory one can not be removed or tampered with if not faulty, and you can not sell used cat converters. Find a different shop. A tuner shop. The shop you went to basically will only customize from your cat converter back (so it seems). If that is the case, no way they can do your exhaust for a turbo setup. I mean you could do something like bring in a 100cell race cat and ask them to make a custom downpipe off the turbo with that. But from how this shop sounds, I don't think they will.

Also, a test pipe takes the place of the cat converter...

turbo>test pipe/cat converter>downpipe>exhaust system

With custom turbo applications, you want...

turbo>custom downpipe>exhaust

thenj3
02-14-2014, 04:03 PM
I'm selling a Comp 5858 with a Full race manifold and custom exhaust. It will be much cheaper than getting it done at your local shop. make the drive to jersey

nynoah
02-14-2014, 04:04 PM
Or you can ship it through forward air shipping. Cost me like 60 to ship a motorcycle motor across the us a few years ago.

Jim el
02-14-2014, 06:07 PM
I'm selling a Comp 5858 with a Full race manifold and custom exhaust. It will be much cheaper than getting it done at your local shop. make the drive to jersey

can you email me? chevelle69je@aol.com idk how to email on this site haha

redline380
02-14-2014, 06:14 PM
can you email me? chevelle69je@aol.com idk how to email on this site haha

You can PM him. Did you click on his classifieds?

http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=105563&title=big-turbo-part-out&cat=20

Jim el
02-14-2014, 06:15 PM
just checked it out. thanks guys!

Seerlah
02-14-2014, 06:28 PM
He is a good guy and a friend of mine. Trustworthy guy.