PDA

View Full Version : External Auto Transmission Cooler

maxiz1
02-13-2014, 12:49 AM
Hello, I'm having a 1.8T FWD with 5 speed automatic. The existing transmission cooler is integrated with the radiator, and I'd like to install an external cooler for the following reason:

i) I heard a few people suffered from transmission damage due to radiation leaking coolant into the transmission fluid channel. Haven't happen to me but I think separating the system would be a good idea
ii) Currently, I can't completely remove the lock carrier without disconnecting the tranny fluid line into the radiator. This would cause some loss of fluid and it will be a PITA to top it up again (you know what I mean.. from bottom.. must be level.. check temperature.. blabla). So I hope this external cooler could be swayed away separately when removing the lock carrier without disconnecting any hose.

Anybody that has the experience pls share. Thanks.

xdewaynex
02-13-2014, 07:07 AM
It can be moved out of the way, depending on how you route the hoses and mount it. I done the same on my A6 (which still isnt running) but didnt even think about having to disconnect it when removing the carrier, so Ive got to redo it sometime.

maxiz1
02-16-2014, 06:57 PM
Thanks bro… I will talk to the local workshop to see how it could be done.