PDA

View Full Version : Stock Skid Plate

OldAudiA4
02-12-2014, 08:01 PM
Did the A4 B5 come with a stock skid plate?
If so, does anyone know the part number? or where I can buy another one?
I have seen this one http://www.dieselgeek.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=skid+plate&Search.x=0&Search.y=0 which looks quite good but is a little expensive for what it is.

Any other options?

OldAudiA4
02-13-2014, 12:27 AM
Is a skid plate and a belly pan the same thing?
From further research, I have found that the A4 B5 came stock with a plastic type belly pan. Not sure if they came stock with a secondary belly pan for further down the car towards the rear or not. There are a few for sale on ebay, but where I am in Australia, I have a problem with postage of this thing to where I am. I'll find out how much they are from the dealership.

Do most people have them? or do some people run without them? I know that they would help keep debris out of the engine bay and would help with airflow but how necessary are they?

BaseDrifter
02-13-2014, 12:51 AM
As you've discovered, the B5 comes stock with a plastic belly pan. It helps to reduce road noise, keeps the engine bay cleaner, helps with cooling/airflow (may help gas mileage?), and provides some minimal protection. That said, you won't have any problem by not running one, many people don't.

As you also know, there are metal skid plates available as well that offer much greater impact protection.

Avant Nate
02-13-2014, 09:38 AM
Just search evolution Thor or diesel plate. It's something you don't need until its too late. I procrastinated and the repairs cost me more than the plate. I'm a Thor man myself.